DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 438
5 members and 433 guests
beatle, fxc3700, Nobrains, Slider, Toecutter
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 04:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#16)
Your Ad Here

November 7, 2018, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
I've been considering gas tankless system to replace the current tank. I can't even fill my soaker tub all the way with the current tank, and I don't like the idea of so much energy being used to keep a large volume continuously at temp.

You'd be surprised how efficient new hot water tanks are.

Especially the double walled vacuum variants (think Yeti thermos).

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#17)
TNT
GP Champ

November 7, 2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
You'd be surprised how efficient new hot water tanks are.

Especially the double walled vacuum variants (think Yeti thermos).
Yeah, I suspect that the tank versions will still be cheaper in the long run because of initial outlay differences. Kind of like buying a new car with better gas mileage usually doesn't save any money because the gas difference doesn't make up for the purchase price until well beyond the lifetime of the new vehicle. So it will really come down to performance needs if the total cost numbers are approachable.

The other major issue I'm concerned with is resilience and catastrophic damage. I usually prefer something I can install and forget about, but there doesn't really seem to be any option without its weaknesses here.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#18)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

November 8, 2018, 07:42 AM

We upgraded our hot water heater about 6 months ago.

Went with a gas State Premier 50gal unit (GP6-50-YTPDT), 96% efficient and capable of 1 unlimited hot shower or 3.5 at the same time. Best part is that it costs us about ~$1.80/mo to run (our gas bill during the warmer months was ~10.xx with most of the cost being fees/taxes).

One cool thing about our particular unit is that it heated up the full 50gal of water to 120F in under 10min when it was installed.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#19)
Always Tinkering

November 8, 2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Went with a gas State Premier 50gal unit (GP6-50-YTPDT)
No doubt this is an excellent water heater... but it has a very long payoff period untill you recoup the money from energy savings. In fact, you may never break even in an average 10 year working window.

They are about 2500 plus install... your looking at a price of 1500 or more over the more competitive energy efficant models (and 2000 over the non energy efficient models)

Look at westinghouse 80 gal WEC080c2x045 at home depot right now for 998.

At 1500 price difference, saving 10 dollars a month has a 12.5 year payoff period till you brake even.

But that westing house is 98 percent efficient, meaning you will probably save at least a grand even after 10 years of usage... meaning your next ones free.

But, you will not be heating the tank in 10 minutes... more like an hour and 10 minutes.
Unread
  (#20)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

November 8, 2018, 02:27 PM

Certainly wasn't looking for something that would pay for itself after any amount of time, just wanted a quality WH with greater performance than we (hopefully) will need in the coming years.

There are definitely less expensive options out there.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#21)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

November 8, 2018, 04:58 PM

I ended up calling AO Smith. I have that down vacation house. I wanted to make sure whomever I get i can buy parts later.
Lowes sell AO Smith.

I called the AO hotline to ask what units have electronic start..like no constant pilot using gas.

He told me to look at the ones with "Damper / power vented" models. they have a blower motor and closing lid???? on the top.

Most were listed as Piezo and some said electronic. I think they have two forms of electronic ignition...Piezo and a Hot element...

And all have push button Piezo for the constantly lit pilot tanks.

I am trying to find a 40 gallon 30000 to 40000 BTU version. I kind of want to get the wifi one so i can turn shit off when im out of town. im usually gon no less than 3 days to 6 days on a semi regular bases.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#22)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

November 9, 2018, 11:08 AM

Depending on the unit you get, you want to just leave it on if you’re gone for less than a month at a time. It may cost you more to bring the tank back up to temp each time.

Ours has been up almost 200 days with under 2 days of burner time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2059.jpg (83.6 KB, 8 views)

-Ryan
Unread
  (#23)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

November 9, 2018, 12:41 PM

hmmm did not think about that.
I remember reading about AC....like if its cheaper to turn it off then on when you get home to cool the house..or leave it on all day.

They said off and then let it come on...but might be different for heating units.

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#24)
Derpentine Dealer

November 9, 2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
Have you explored tankless water heaters? Seems like for a single dude, they would be even more ideal.
Most residential plumbers will recommend against these. The issues are the electronics reliability and longevity. Repairs are expensive and inevitable on a timeline much shorter than that of a tank heater.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#25)
Derpentine Dealer

November 9, 2018, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
hmmm did not think about that.
I remember reading about AC....like if its cheaper to turn it off then on when you get home to cool the house..or leave it on all day.

They said off and then let it come on...but might be different for heating units.

You lose the most efficiency at the initiation of an run cycle, followed by the end of the run cycle. Therefore, the most efficient heater runs nearly all the time so that cycles per day are low in number. One could make the argument, then, that raising several degrees in one long run cycle is cheaper than maintaining a set temp. I usually drop my stat down to 62 when I know I'm out all day, which is almost always. Then I indulge and turn it up to 64 and even maybe 66 when I get home. It's chilly when I walk in, but I'm up to temp pretty quickly.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#26)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

November 10, 2018, 11:33 AM

those temps will have snuffy in hiding...

Unread
  (#27)
Your Ad Here

November 10, 2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
I usually drop my stat down to 62 when I know I'm out all day, which is almost always. Then I indulge and turn it up to 64 and even maybe 66 when I get home. It's chilly when I walk in, but I'm up to temp pretty quickly.
And this is how we know, with a 100% certainty, that you're not black.

Good luck trying to get a black household to live with keeping the thermostat down to 64-66 in the winters for no other reason than 'efficiency.'

What would start as grousing would sufficiently rise to the level of near riots and assassination attempts.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#28)
TNT
GP Champ

November 10, 2018, 07:15 PM

62-64...confirmed Sasquatch.

I think after looking at all the options, I'm going to go with a big tank unit. I doubt I'll save enough long-term to make the on-demand unit worthwhile. Although the catastrophic failure -> flooding concern exists with the big tank, if I spend just a fraction of the time I'd spend doing maintenance on the tankless unit, I will probably avoid any issues there.

Within the life of the unit, I'm going to have at least two teenagers in the house, so there's probably going to be a lot of hot water usage daily.