DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 290
5 members and 285 guests
davidcycle, nootherids, Sal_the_man, Scot, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Emissions testing in Fairfax County
Unread
  (#1)
Railing!

Emissions testing in Fairfax County - October 5, 2016, 05:30 PM

I was telling my buddy I was planning to replace the engine in my 97 Miata this winter. He frowned that I wasn't putting in a V8. I've thought about that, but emissions testing is such a PITA for anything that doesn't spit out OBD2 codes specific to the vehicle. He told me about the new roadside emissions testers that automatically pass you if your vehicle is under a certain emissions limit. That sounds good since there are no codes to read. Does it run the emissions limits for the car registered under that particular license plate or is there just a standard that can be met? I'd hate to make the jump to big displacement if I can't register the car due to emissions testing.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Fast Lane Racing

October 5, 2016, 05:38 PM

you should find a friend in VA that's not in NOVA and use his place for your garage address. I do this with one of my cars after longtube headers and cats installed.

A lot easier this way.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Railing!

October 5, 2016, 05:48 PM

That was my original plan. I have family in Chesapeake so that could be an option.
Unread
  (#4)
MSF Student

October 5, 2016, 05:55 PM

Hello fellow hairdresser! Although a V8 swap would be fantastic and great. You may as well go turbo first. You should not have any issues going the FI route. I also dont think you would have issues with emissions going V8 but wiring will be a big headache.
Unread
  (#5)
Railing!

October 5, 2016, 05:59 PM

I've had a Fast Forward Supercharger on the car since 2009. It's been a great 50k miles, but I'm thinking of moving up since the engine is getting a little tired and I've got some noises in the motor I can't track down. Haven't convinced myself I really want a V8, but the emissions issue has kept me from having to decide anyway.
Unread
  (#6)
Licensed Rider

October 6, 2016, 04:50 AM

One more year and you don't have to worry about emissions testing.
Unread
  (#7)
Railing!

October 6, 2016, 05:09 AM

Cars 25 years or older are exempt, so I've got another 6 years.
Unread
  (#8)
AMA Superbike Champ

October 6, 2016, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatle View Post
Cars 25 years or older are exempt, so I've got another 6 years.
Are they exempt in that they have to be registered as limited use, 'antiques' or are they exempt from emissions but otherwise can be used as a normal vehicle?

Because if they'll let me have an exempt daily driver, Im pulling the cats and what not off and going with LTs.

The emissions readers sit on on ramps and read your car as you drive by. If you are under the threshold, you get a letter in the mail advising your car does not need to do an emissions test that year. I stupidly went and got one last year even though I had gotten a letter saying I didnt need it.

And yes, the 1996 and newer (OBDII) emissions tests are nothing but plugging in a reader to check for codes. There is supposed to be a visual inspection, but it depends on how big a statist or asshole the inspector is.
Unread
  (#9)
Railing!

October 6, 2016, 08:20 AM

VA DMV info:

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#emissions.asp

Quote:
Gasoline powered passenger or property carrying vehicles with a model year that is more than 25 years old before January 1 of the current calendar year. As an example, vehicles with a model year of 1984 are exempt from emissions on or after January 1, 2009; vehicles with a model year of 1985 will be exempt from emissions on or after January 1, 2010. As an example, vehicles with a model year of 1984 are exempt from emissions on or after January 1, 2009; vehicles with a model year of 1985 will be exempt from emissions on or after January 1, 2010. Vehicles 25 years old or older qualify as antique motor vehicles but are not required to display antique license plates to qualify for the emissions exemption. Although exempt from the emissions inspection, the $2 emissions fee is required when renewing these registrations.
Looks like you don't have to get antique plates to qualify for the exemption.
Unread
  (#10)
AMA Superbike Champ

October 6, 2016, 08:32 AM

Quote:
VA DMV info:

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#emissions.asp

Looks like you don't have to get antique plates to qualify for the exemption.
Sweet. Didnt know that. Super excited now.
Unread
  (#11)
opossum puncher

October 6, 2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Does it run the emissions limits for the car registered under that particular license plate or is there just a standard that can be met? I'd hate to make the jump to big displacement if I can't register the car due to emissions testing.
My dad did this last year since he was throwing an error code and didnt want to fail based on that. It was a bit of a PITA to find the testing spots, and their testing times and drive through them several times. The ones on ramps he said were best, took 3 different places before his car showed as being tested in the system, so plan on wasting an hour driving in loops then signing in to the system to check. There is a camera to catch the plate and the testing equipment.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#12)
Officially Addicted to Posting

October 6, 2016, 06:33 PM

I had normal plates on my 65 for a while but wasnt worth the cost for how much I drove it. I'm on antique plates now and its really no different other than I'm not supposed to drive it except going to car shows/events or repair shops.

"I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." -MG James Mattis, Iraq 2003

Ruining .net one post at a time
Unread
  (#13)
Slow as a turtle...

October 6, 2016, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rfool View Post
My dad did this last year since he was throwing an error code and didnt want to fail based on that. It was a bit of a PITA to find the testing spots, and their testing times and drive through them several times. The ones on ramps he said were best, took 3 different places before his car showed as being tested in the system, so plan on wasting an hour driving in loops then signing in to the system to check. There is a camera to catch the plate and the testing equipment.
Yeah, I have seen them in quite a few places.

Few questions, what if your car passes that emission, does it mean you don't have to go to emissions test station? What about that $28 which is a fee for it?

Also, if ones vehicle is due for emissions and it gets passed through that, can registration be renewed for 2 years?

Thanks for the feedback.

---Showing gratitude is one of the simplest yet most powerful things humans can do for each other---
---Courtesy is as much a mark of a gentleman as courage.---
Unread
  (#14)
Slow as a turtle...

October 6, 2016, 07:25 PM

Sorry, typed and posted too quick:

Virginia offers new roadside emission testing option | WTOP

http://www.deq.virginia.gov/Programs...rogramFAQ.aspx

---Showing gratitude is one of the simplest yet most powerful things humans can do for each other---
---Courtesy is as much a mark of a gentleman as courage.---
Unread
  (#15)
opossum puncher

October 7, 2016, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverickfhs View Post
Yeah, I have seen them in quite a few places.

Few questions, what if your car passes that emission, does it mean you don't have to go to emissions test station? What about that $28 which is a fee for it?

Also, if ones vehicle is due for emissions and it gets passed through that, can registration be renewed for 2 years?

Thanks for the feedback.
Yes, no test station, fee paid online, yes for 2 years.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool