DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 478
3 members and 475 guests
2blueyam, GRN96WS6, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Employee Pulls Gun, Foils Robbery - Then Fired By Employer. Now He's Suing
Unread
  (#1)
Your Ad Here

Employee Pulls Gun, Foils Robbery - Then Fired By Employer. Now He's Suing - September 12, 2011, 02:03 PM

The world has gone crazy. Two robbers come in to take down a pharmacy. One jumps the counter and attempts to shoot the Pharmacist on duty. The perp tries to fire at him, but his gun malfunctions.
The Pharmacist, having been robbed once before years earlier, has a CCW and gun on him. With one hand he's calling 911 and with the other he returns fire.
The robbers run out taking nothing, harming no one, and leaving one of their guns behind.

Walgreens fires the Pharmacist for bringing a gun to work. He returns fire ... he's suing.

What do you think?
Should corporate policy eschew Constitutional Rights and basic common sense?
Do you think he'll win his case?

Video: LinkBucks.com - Get your share!

A Michigan pharmacist who fought off armed attackers by firing a gun of his own to thwart a robbery attempt in May was hailed by many as a hero.

After the hair-raising confrontation that was captured on surveillance video, Jeremy Hovan’s employer rewarded him with a pink slip. Now, Hovan is fighting back, filing a federal lawsuit against Walgreens for wrongful termination.

“No life was lost, no life was harmed, and nothing was stolen,’’ Hovan’s lawyer, Dan Swanson, told NBC News. “So in that context, I think he was a hero. He was exercising his reasonable right of self-defense in the face of a gunman who attempted to pull a trigger three times and shoot him. Presumably, shoot him dead.’’
Story: Murdered student's mom sues Yale: 'She died for nothing'

Hovan was working the overnight shift at a Walgreens in Benton Harbor, Mich., in May when two armed gunmen burst through the front door. One pointed a gun in the back of one of Hovan’s fellow employees, while the other leapt over the counter into the pharmacy area. Hovan immediately grabbed a gun of his own in his left hand, while holding the phone in his right hand.

Caught on the surveillance video, the armed robber behind the counter attempted to fire at Hovan three times, but the gun malfunctioned. Hovan fired three shots of his own, causing both gunmen to flee the store without anyone being hurt or anything being stolen. A fellow employee quickly scrambled to retrieve one of the guns left behind. The two gunmen are still at large.

“I feared for my life, and in self-defense, I fired my weapon as I continued to move from him,’’ Hovan said at a press conference. “He hurdled over the counter in a single motion and pointed his weapon at me. The gunman repeatedly attempted to fire upon me.’’
Story: Judge dismisses kids' suit against their own mom

The incident resulted in his termination. Hovan has a concealed weapons permit, but did not inform Walgreens that he was in possession of a gun at work — a weapon he purchased, he said, after the store was robbed in 2007.

“Store employees receive comprehensive training on how to react and respond to a potential robbery situation,’’ Walgreens said in a statement. “Law enforcement strongly advises against confrontation of crime suspects."

Hovan’s lawyer said that Hovan never saw those store policies and acted properly. He added that Hovan continues to deal with the 1-2 emotional punch of having a gun pointed at him and nearly being killed and then losing his job on top of that.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Playing in the dirt

September 12, 2011, 02:06 PM

He will loose if the co has a policy against firearms.

KTMs and Yamahas
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

September 12, 2011, 02:09 PM

I support the right to carry concealed. However, I also support the right of companies to determine whether or not they will allow their employees to carry concealed on duty. It's a liability thing for them.

He didn't have to work there if he didn't like their policies.

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#4)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

September 12, 2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar944 View Post
He will loose if the co has a policy against firearms.

+1

might not be right and it saved his life, but if you are going to bring a weapon to work, i think its safe to say you should tell your employer.

Id be scared if half these fools at my job had CCP.... The way they let people go here... "Hey sorry, but we lost the contract and you need to pack up now and leave by noon"

just saying...id want to know.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#5)
Officially Addicted to Posting

September 12, 2011, 02:13 PM

In today's day and age...he needs to feel fortunate he didn't kill one of the robbers. Otherwise losing his job would be the least of his worries.

I'm not a leg humper... but I'm super attracted to how fucking stupid she is! - wildjester

Castle: rob, potbelly, stat. i brought the bike, wanna ride 2 up??
ClemsonJeeper: omg i'm in now!
Castle: fvck, did i just put that in the sb?
Unread
  (#6)
The last urrbendah

September 12, 2011, 02:14 PM

Burn it to the fucking ground.
Unread
  (#7)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

September 12, 2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Burn it to the fucking ground.
+10000

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#8)
AMA Superbike Champ

September 12, 2011, 02:17 PM

Sucks, but he won't win.....you have to go by the book on these things, not what is right or wrong. If their policy is no firearms then that's that, end of story. Stories like this are probably why we hear less and less about someone being a "hero" in situations...kinda sad
Unread
  (#9)
watch this!...

September 12, 2011, 02:20 PM

fuck that! dude was trying to end his life so he could sell those oxcotins on the street and he handled that shit. rightly so he gets fired (if they have policy) but he's good in my book.
Unread
  (#10)
Don't believe the hype...

September 12, 2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1is2many View Post
fuck that! dude was trying to end his life so he could sell those oxcotins on the street and he handled that shit. rightly so he gets fired (if they have policy) but he's good in my book.
I agree with this, but unfortunately we have these stupid co laws. If he was in no harm and tries to be a hero, not having been in that situation before, then yeah I understand.

'11 Speedy
'72 CB450
Unread
  (#11)
Licensed Rider

September 12, 2011, 02:57 PM

Last edited by 2FAST4U; May 28, 2013 at 01:59 PM..
Unread
  (#12)
Playing in the dirt

September 12, 2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG40cal View Post
In today's day and age...he needs to feel fortunate he didn't kill one of the robbers. Otherwise losing his job would be the least of his worries.
never leave wounded robbers/attackers, it's all or nothing.

KTMs and Yamahas
Unread
  (#13)
it's "Leave," you idiot.

September 12, 2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar944 View Post
never leave wounded survivors
gettin sued by a living perp is harder to fight than a manslaughter charge
Unread
  (#14)
GP Racer

September 12, 2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2FAST4U View Post
It seems like pharmacy robberies are becoming more common.

Have you guys ever seen the 1" thick bullet-proof glass that banks use at their branches in crime-ridden parts of town? It separates the teller from the customer. I predict it's only a matter of time before all pharmacies, regardless of what part of town they're in, will have these.
i've seen a few pharmacy's with glass before.
Unread
  (#15)
Your Ad Here

September 12, 2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2FAST4U View Post
It seems like pharmacy robberies are becoming more common.

Have you guys ever seen the 1" thick bullet-proof glass that banks use at their branches in crime-ridden parts of town? It separates the teller from the customer. I predict it's only a matter of time before all pharmacies, regardless of what part of town they're in, will have these.
Drugs.
1 percocet = $30-40 on the street
1 oxycotin = $40-50 on the street

I was on Vicodin last week after having a tooth pulled. I posted something on my Twitter feed and an old co-worker DM'd me and asked if I wanted to sell the prescription re-fill to him for $100. Said he has chronic back pain

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to