DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 494
1 members and 493 guests
tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Ever Had a Crown Come OFF, or Had a Crown Replaced?
Unread
  (#1)
5 yrs till Brood X emerge

Ever Had a Crown Come OFF, or Had a Crown Replaced? - March 12, 2011, 08:09 PM

I have four crowns in my rear molars. All about 3-7 years old. Two off them have come off and I had to have them re-bonded. This last one I had rebonded still has issues.

I was wondering two things:

1. If you have had a crown come off, did you have to pay to have it rebonded? Or did your dentist put it back no charge? My dentist charged me $100 both times to re-install. Said it is not normal, but certainly not unusual for them to come off.

2. If a crown is installed, the dentist rebonds it. But it doesn't rebond properly, leaving unprotected tooth exposed where the crown meets the tooth surface, ie a gap. The crown would be destryed and not reusable if its removed. Who pays for the new crown & reinstall charges to fix this gap? Seems like the dentist should eat it.

Curious to hear from anyone who has been in any of those situations.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Your Ad Here

March 12, 2011, 09:05 PM

Flat out, you have a shitty dentist. There should never be a gap between the crown and tooth post. That's an intrusion point for bacteria and will in all likelihood lead to a infection at some point. Crowns should not come unbonded every few years. Is it unheard of, no, but its far from normal.

Something tells me the post and crown wasn't mated right. Either this or the crown wasn't finished correctly. If you are having that many problems though, perhaps you should consider a dental implant. In either case it's time to bid your dentist adieu and check out my guy: Dr Miles / Dr. Melnick These guys handle celebrity teeth - people who are on T/V or in the media. They'll take care of you.

Laurel Family Dentistry - Fulton Cosmetic Dentist | Testimonials

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
-----> Winning <------

March 12, 2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Flat out, you have a shitty dentist. There should never be a gap between the crown and tooth post. That's an intrusion point for bacteria and will in all likelihood lead to a infection at some point. Crowns should not come unbonded every few years. Is it unheard of, no, but its far from normal.

Something tells me the post and crown wasn't mated right. Either this or the crown wasn't finished correctly. If you are having that many problems though, perhaps you should consider a dental implant. In either case it's time to bid your dentist adieu and check out my guy: Dr Miles / Dr. Melnick These guys handle celebrity teeth - people who are on T/V or in the media. They'll take care of you.

Laurel Family Dentistry - Fulton Cosmetic Dentist | Testimonials
Heist, you know Dr. Miles and "Mel"?? Funny shit. I guess you know Regina too? I know both very well and their familes...have been to both their homes for dinner many many times. Also have been out to Vegas with both of them. LMAO!

I knew them years before they started doing "celeb" work and the like. One thing Heist is right about is that they are some of the best in the business. State of the art equipment is all they use and they are exceptional when it comes to doing the job once correctly. I am laughing my ass off cause I didnt expect to hear their names on this site...

Living the life of a rockstar vatican assassin.
Unread
  (#4)
Licensed Rider

March 13, 2011, 09:02 AM

Yeah that's pretty bad if he's charging you $100 just to rebond the tooth. Look for a new dentist.
Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

March 13, 2011, 09:08 AM

^ agree.

I have had this happen and when I went back to my dentist he was shocked. Basically said the opposite, re-bonded the crown and apologized. Have not had a problem since.

Yamaha FZ8
Husqvarna TE310R ---
Unread
  (#6)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

March 13, 2011, 10:50 AM

The likely chance of the dentist ever fixing something out of their pocket, especially more than a month out, is extremely unlikely.

Pretty much a warranty that extends to the curb of the office, after that it's your problem.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#7)
Your Ad Here

March 13, 2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick View Post
Heist, you know Dr. Miles and "Mel"?? Funny shit. I guess you know Regina too? I know both very well and their familes...have been to both their homes for dinner many many times. Also have been out to Vegas with both of them. LMAO!

I knew them years before they started doing "celeb" work and the like. One thing Heist is right about is that they are some of the best in the business. State of the art equipment is all they use and they are exceptional when it comes to doing the job once correctly. I am laughing my ass off cause I didnt expect to hear their names on this site...
Yup. I'm not as close to them as you are, but Mel and Miles and our dealings go back to about 2002 or so.

And yes, their whole office is start of the art. They were the first in the region to do electronic Xrays, composite filling, drilless filings, etc. etc. They handle all my work outside of when I did some light ortho. I'm actually a bit overdue for an appointment.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#8)
AMA Superbike Champ

March 13, 2011, 06:20 PM

super glue can fix many things

2005 Yamaha R6 Raven
1982 Suzuki GS650L
1974 Honda CB550 (Cafe' racer Project)
1971 Honda CB450 (currently restoring to stock may be a future Cafe')
Unread
  (#9)
Your Ad Here

March 13, 2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkr6 View Post
super glue can fix many things
And is also highly toxic when ingested or the fumes are inhaled.

Unread
  (#10)
Get Tarded!

March 13, 2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
And is also highly toxic when ingested or the fumes are inhaled.
You should see the latest jackass movie!......

08 Dizzzer SM
08 Z1000
98 KLR 650
Unread
  (#11)
I don't like you

March 14, 2011, 08:07 AM

Schneider Family Dentistry. Right in your back yard. Been going there for years and they are great

RIP Jeff Vega 10/06/09 You will forever ride on in our hearts
Unread
  (#12)
T.R.I.T.D.H

March 14, 2011, 08:51 AM

Yeah it mignt be worth looking into another dentist...at which point you would be paying to have the services done over.

My one crown on the inside of the tooth you can see a small gap but underneath you can see the metal cap that is used to seal the crown to the tooth.

I've had this crown since 2004. No issues. no replacement no rebond hasn't fallen off. knock on wood.

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."