DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 514
3 members and 511 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6, Nobrains
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
F**k meteorologists
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

F**k meteorologists - June 29, 2008, 06:31 PM

Okay, if you're a local meteorologist, I apologize...wait, no I don't.

Could the weather predictions have been more off over the past 3 days?

Friday--thunderstorms predicted in the afternoon. Expecting the usual traffic issues resulting from rain (e.g., bad drivers driving even worse than usual), I cage it into work. No thunderstorms, not even rain.

Saturday--thunderstorms predicted from noon until the late evening. Make plans to do errands in the afternoon instead of going riding. "Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time." I do said errands. Not a drop of rain falls.

Sunday--severe thunderstorms predicted from 1pm on. We decide to pass on the DC United-Galaxy game (a 15 month-old, a huge sporting event and heavy rains do not mix). I spend the afternoon trimming hedges. DC United wins 4-1 in bright sunlight.

F**********KKKKKKKKK!!!!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Let's ride!

June 29, 2008, 06:34 PM

We actually got torrential thunderstorms on Friday and Saturday in Lorton...

So think of it as getting lucky that you missed out

When life hands you Lemons, ask for tequila and salt and call me over!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to AndiT  
Unread
  (#3)
ISO a Sugar Mama

June 29, 2008, 06:35 PM

Didn't rain at all here in Sterling.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Rolex006  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

June 29, 2008, 06:48 PM

it rained in Manassas but not till WAYYYYYYY later than when they said what it would be raining. i wish i could be constantly wrong and still keep my job.

http://www.dcsportbikes.net/photoplo...ull_finger.gif
"Ready your breakfast and eat hearty, for tonight we dine in HELL"

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to R6speed Send a message via AIM to R6speed  
Unread
  (#5)
Ballaugh Bridge

June 29, 2008, 06:57 PM

They're called scattered storms for a reason. Pay attention to details.

It's rained some everyday in Leesburg.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#6)
GP Racer

June 29, 2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVbadguy
They're called scattered storms for a reason. Pay attention to details.

It's rained some everyday in Leesburg.
I was banking on the meteorologists being wrong in the other direction (as they typically are) where a 30% chance of thunderstorms/scattered storms means 100% chance of rivers of rainwater taking your newly spread mulch down the gutter.

We actually had a severe storm warning today and got nothing.
Unread
  (#7)
GP Racer

June 29, 2008, 07:33 PM

Thursday - supposed to rain..didn't
Friday - supposed to rain - downpoured on the greenway just past Ashburn all the way to Leesburg.
Saturday - Rained for about 5 minutes in Leesburg
Sunday - Rained for about 30 minutes in Leesburg.
Unread
  (#8)
Ballaugh Bridge

June 29, 2008, 07:47 PM

Buy some rain gear and weather doesn't matter.

I got some really great rain gear through cornerworking with MARRC. It's made by Charles River Apparel. The New Englander pants and jacket.

http://www.charlesriverapparel.com

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#9)
Agitator

June 29, 2008, 07:53 PM

not suprising they started making crew slickers...to this day, I have yet to have a better rain jacket than mine....wherever the @#$%@#er is now that someone stole it

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#10)
GP Racer

June 29, 2008, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVbadguy
Buy some rain gear and weather doesn't matter.

I got some really great rain gear through cornerworking with MARRC. It's made by Charles River Apparel. The New Englander pants and jacket.

http://www.charlesriverapparel.com
Got some rain gear already. If I'm getting out of town/doing an overnight ride or something, I have no problem riding in thunderstorms. I recently ran out to West Virginia in a torrential downpour/severe thunderstorm. Gear worked like a charm.

But I'm not a big fan of riding in the rain locally because the drivers around here lose their f*cking minds...
Unread
  (#11)
Go Team Venture!!!

June 29, 2008, 08:07 PM

Weather, specifically precipitation is a local phenomenon. There are formulas for predicting the weather. They take into account temps, pressure, density, moisture content, wind, and many other factors which can be different 1/2 a mile away. So it may not have been raining exactly where you were, somewhere else nearby (as reported by other posters) it probably is. I am not a meteorologist but had to study the science of meteorology in flight school. It’s actually a really fascinating thing to study. Science has proven specific formulas will predict accurately the weather outcome which is what is reported by the weatherman/woman. However they generalize it for large areas like the state which makes it less reliable. This is why they give percentages of rain rather then just say it is going to rain. If you want to get a better forecast learn to read aviation forecasts, they are still not 100% but you learn to predict the weather on your own. Then you can post rants on .net complaining about your poor guessing skills.

"Whore Force One" pilot
The Whitest of White Boys
Not 40 yet!
The Force is strong in this one
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Send a message via AIM to Jedi Send a message via MSN to Jedi  
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

June 29, 2008, 08:08 PM

Scattered Tstorms are called scattered Tstorms for a reason. It can be raining and hailing in Manassas and nice and sunny in DC.

On my recent 5 day trip, we had 5 days of scattered Tstorms. We frequently saw lots of wet roads, but it's only on day 4 that we ended up getting soaked by a 30 minute Tstorm. It was sunny 30 minutes before and after the Tstorm.
Unread
  (#13)
GP Racer

June 29, 2008, 08:24 PM

Yeah, I get the "scattered" bit. As I noted, we also had "severe" warnings around here and got nothing.

And the point to checking the weather online or via the news is so I don't need to become a meteorologist myself. I don't tell my clients to bone up on the legislative process on their own because I'm providing generalized information that might or might not be accurate for their particular interest.

But whatever. I got my vent out. Back to our regularly scheduled broadcast...
Unread
  (#14)
Nubbs ban yourself!

June 29, 2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dctex
Yeah, I get the "scattered" bit. As I noted, we also had "severe" warnings around here and got nothing.

And the point to checking the weather online or via the news is so I don't need to become a meteorologist myself. I don't tell my clients to bone up on the legislative process on their own because I'm providing generalized information that might or might not be accurate for their particular interest.

But whatever. I got my vent out. Back to our regularly scheduled broadcast...
I am with you on this! I ride to work from Frederick to Beltsville and work is dress casual for me. I usually don't ride when they predict these freaking thunderstorms as I never know where they are going to be and the chance of me running into one in a 50 mile radius is high. Thursday I didn't ride and nothing. Friday I didn't ride and it rained so hard on 270 cars were only doing 5-10mph so I was glad I didn't ride.
This weekend was suppose to rain and it didn't do anything substantial.
When they predict rain it costs me about $20 in gas, over time that is a lot of money!
I do understand how difficult to predict it is but why do we even have people who get paid so much money to do something that a damn computer predicts anyway.

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm