DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 484
1 members and 483 guests
GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Facebook Shenanigans Exposed (sort of)
Unread
  (#1)
Derpentine Dealer

Facebook Shenanigans Exposed (sort of) - October 25, 2012, 05:44 PM

Dangerous Minds | FACEBOOK: I WANT MY FRIENDS BACK

Well I read--skimmed actually--this, um, article and to be honest, I'm not exactly sure what all is going on. However, I know since it's about Facebook that it must be evil so I thought I should share it with all you Facebook fanatics.

Heist, tell us what all is going on here. I don't have the patience for the typically verbose techie online literature. Just need to know whether or not I should stop using Facebook altogether.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Derpetologist

October 25, 2012, 06:06 PM

Yeah I can't follow that either for reason... but maybe it has something to do with what George Takei posted a few days ago?

Quote:
Friends,

These days, you may be seeing fewer of my posts; Facebook is as crowded as an Apple store on Sunday. To ensure your "Daily Takei," simply visit my page George Takei and click the "gear" symbol (next to “Message” by the top). From the drop-down menu, select "Add to Interest Lists."

Facebook also rewards fan interaction, so like, comment and share my posts, and we'll be intertwined like a lobbyist and a congressman.

*Not intended to be a factual statement.

Last edited by Rail; October 25, 2012 at 06:09 PM..
Unread
  (#3)
cake > pie

October 25, 2012, 06:07 PM

This was posted on my FB feed a few days ago by a Liked page.
"Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD)
Facebook now requires page administrators to pay to promote status updates to fans who already like our page. If we do not pay to promote our posts, only about 10% (or less) of our fans will receive our updates in their news feeds.

That means you are probably not seeing all of the awesome images from APOD we post every day! To keep receiving all our posts, hover your mouse on the "Like" button near our name. In the drop-down menu select "Add to interest lists." Then create an interest list.

We recommend that you follow the above instructions for ANY Facebook page you care about, so you can continue seeing all the posts from the pages you already like.

And please share this post with others, so they can turn on their Interest feed, too. Thanks!"http://www.facebook.com/AstronomyPictureOfTheDay
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

October 25, 2012, 11:38 PM

My problem isn't that I'm not seeing pages that I like... It's that I'm not seeing my actual friends anymore. I have a few who tend to be verbose, but suddenly they're no longer in my news feed. Go to their timelines and I see they've been posting things. I don't care if I stop seeing some group's or business's page. I do care that I'm not seeing my friends.

And no, they're not hiding from me...

Helen
Mom of Donovan,
a GNCC and VCHSS racer

2013 Sponsors: Munn Racing, KTM-Parts.com, Sunstar, ONE Industries, 661, Sunline, Tag Metals, Cycra, Asterisk, Leatt, GoPro, Twin Air, Factory Backing and Mom & Dad

Helen's Facebook
WillowRowRacing Facebook
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to SxyRdr Send a message via AIM to SxyRdr  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

October 25, 2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SxyRdr View Post
My problem isn't that I'm not seeing pages that I like... It's that I'm not seeing my actual friends anymore. I have a few who tend to be verbose, but suddenly they're no longer in my news feed. Go to their timelines and I see they've been posting things. I don't care if I stop seeing some group's or business's page. I do care that I'm not seeing my friends.

And no, they're not hiding from me...
I'm seeing something like this as well. Sometimes, my feed is populated by 3 people all with 10 pretty crappy short posts even though I know other people are posting too.

I'm not going to take the time to track it down, but Zuckerberg did say somewhere that the point of the Newsfeed is that it should be a pulse for what is going on on the internet... Basically, news stories and such. It's not supposed to be for our cat, gun, and motorcycle pictures at all, according to him.

That said, I am looking for a good entry point to short FB and I don't really care. I want this FB era to be over already.
Unread
  (#6)
Your Ad Here

October 26, 2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
Dangerous Minds | FACEBOOK: I WANT MY FRIENDS BACK

Heist, tell us what all is going on here. I don't have the patience for the typically verbose techie online literature. Just need to know whether or not I should stop using Facebook altogether.
Synopsis: All Rob's fault.

Will look into it tomorrow.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Member of SRWJTS

October 26, 2012, 12:56 AM

hmmm, this will be a big deal. I never realized how expensive that "promote" button can be if you have alot of likes as a small business. My Wife's small business that we run together definitely couldn't afford those fees if we had lots of followers. Like the article says...this will be a big deal. I couldn't imagine paying over $200 per post to get everyone to see our posts. I'm interested to see how this plays out with large businesses.

2001 Kawasaki ZX6R: Yoshi slip-on
1999 Trans AM WS6, Long tubes, full exhaust, extra sexy
2006 GTO 6spd, 1 of 390 Silver, SLP LM1 (Sold)
2001 R1; blue, Yoshi slip on (sold Jan 12, 2012)
(RIP) 2000 Camaro SS
1999 Trans Am Ws6 30k miles, 6spd (sold)
1999 Camaro coupe 6 cyl (traded in after a week to get the SS)
Unread
  (#8)
EFI - 07/C2

October 26, 2012, 07:20 AM

FB realized they weren't making enough from advertisers to support the biz and stock price, so now they're looking for another revenue stream.

I mainly use it to play games w/ my daughter. Happy Pets anyone?

http://www.ExtremeFirepower.com/ - EFI, LLC - Custom Precision Rifles, Gunsmithing, & Machine Gun Rentals

http://www.TankVest.com/ - Attach MOLLE gear to your KLR, KTM, or VStrom gas tank

Each player must accept the cards life deals him or her, but once they are in hand, he alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game.
- Voltaire
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
Site Owner

October 26, 2012, 08:04 AM

Yup. Big deal. They need another revenue stream. If you want to advertise on Facebook, you gotta pay to play now -- no more free rides.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#10)
Your Ad Here

October 26, 2012, 08:23 AM

Myspace FTW.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#11)
Derpentine Dealer

October 26, 2012, 08:28 AM

In similar news, have you guys noticed that LinkedIn now offers this "Premium" membership? I lol'd when I saw that. The really sad thing is that I think people really take LinkedIn seriously. I'm probably ignoring it at my own peril.

The BIG question is though: When will Google start charging for Gmail and their suite of other currently free services? I mean pretty much everyone is hooked on Gmail and Google Calendar, right?

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#12)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

October 26, 2012, 08:37 AM

My wife is annoyed by the change as well, but she tells her fans to just GO to her Facebook page. If they go to the page, they see everything

Additionally, her business does not rely on Facebook, but rather the majority of her clients come from her business card displays around town, word of mouth, referrals, etc.

So, all in all, much ado about nothing. If this change is drastically affecting your business, then your business sucks. Facebook should not be the lynchpin of your marketing

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

October 26, 2012, 09:04 AM

So I just discovered something...

The people who are not showing up in my FB newsfeed (actual friends, not businesses or liked pages) are not marked to show in my news feed. Guess FB decided I "talk" with those people too much so they'd better remove them from my feed for me to get me to interact with other people more often?

Helen
Mom of Donovan,
a GNCC and VCHSS racer

2013 Sponsors: Munn Racing, KTM-Parts.com, Sunstar, ONE Industries, 661, Sunline, Tag Metals, Cycra, Asterisk, Leatt, GoPro, Twin Air, Factory Backing and Mom & Dad

Helen's Facebook
WillowRowRacing Facebook
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to SxyRdr Send a message via AIM to SxyRdr  
Unread
  (#14)
Your Ad Here

October 26, 2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
If this change is drastically affecting your business, then your business sucks. Facebook should not be the lynchpin of your marketing
^^^This.
However, for less than large but slightly bigger than small businesses, FB is one of the more efficient marketing and communication tool.

Not as intrusive as email blasts. Less expensive than hosting a website. And I say this understanding that FB has their own hosting costs as well.

Unread
  (#15)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

October 26, 2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post

^^^This.
However, for less than large but slightly bigger than small businesses, FB is one of the more efficient marketing and communication tool.

Not as intrusive as email blasts. Less expensive than hosting a website. And I say this understanding that FB has their own hosting costs as well.
I disagree. Hosting a site is a trivial expense, and if you can't afford it, again, you suck.

Additionally, Facebook does not help build a small business as fast as sneakernet does. People who are too lazy to pound the pavement rely on FB as the central piece of their presence.

Yes, Facebook is a tool. But the only people who are really "hurt" by this are people who only use Facebook, and people whose businesses are so uninteresting that folks don't actually make occasional visits to the business' page

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...