DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 1,491
3 members and 1,488 guests
fxc3700, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
FCC Precendent - Rules Verizon Can No Longer Charge Extra For Tethering
Unread
  (#1)
Your Ad Here

FCC Precendent - Rules Verizon Can No Longer Charge Extra For Tethering - January 10, 2013, 11:44 AM

This ruling will most likely ripple out and touch all the other network operators, and they will have to drop their tethering service charges.

I'm please someone finally realized that when I purchase an allotment of Data under contract or pre-paid, I should not be made to pay $20-30 more for the network operator to enable a feature that is native to my device, or demand that the phone manufacturer remove the option, to prevent me from using the data I purchased in the manner I deem appropriate.

I never understood justifications TMobile made last year when they began blocking tethering on phones that until then, had always been able to tether at no cost, unless I purchased a $20 Tethering plan which provided no additional data or speed, just the ability and authority to re-enable a feature my phone already had.

+1 to the FCC for investigating this and making the correct determination.

Now I wonder if there will be class action lawsuits coming down the pipe.

==================================

Verizon has been slapped with a $1.25 million fine for charging customers to use their cell phones as a mobile Internet hotspot, and has declared that it must allow tethering for free. Google must also reinstate tethering applications from its Android store, which Verizon had asked them to remove. This is especially great news considering more Android devices (and perhaps the next iPhone) are 4G compatible, making mobile Internet nearly universal for Verizon customers. Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T customers should prepare to be gripped by overwhelming jealousy, as it only applies to Verizon.

“Today’s action demonstrates that compliance with FCC obligations is not optional,” said FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski, in a statement. “The steps taken today will not only protect consumer choice, but defend certainty for innovators to continue to deliver new services and apps without fear of being blocked.”

We’re unsure how quickly this policy will be implemented, so if you’re a Verizon mobile hotspot user, and you fall under the non-unlimited data plans that this ruling applies to, let us know when Verizon stops charging you for the service.

Source: Verizon Can No Longer Charge For Tethering, FCC Declares

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Last edited by Heist; January 10, 2013 at 12:41 PM..
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Traction Control

January 10, 2013, 11:52 AM

So this means I can tether soon. But if I switch off ATT I'll lose my true unlimited plan. Almost making it pointless since I'm close to the data limit by using pandora all teh time. ugh

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#3)
TPG og

January 10, 2013, 11:56 AM

I've never paid using PDANet on rooted Android. But it's good to hear I'm not a bad guy anymore.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#4)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

January 10, 2013, 12:02 PM

MyWi FTW

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Sewing Machine Rider

January 10, 2013, 12:05 PM

I agree it's ridiculous, but just root your phone. I've had unlimited tethering since they started offering data plans on phones.
Unread
  (#6)
Your Ad Here

January 10, 2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecknojoe View Post
So this means I can tether soon. But if I switch off ATT I'll lose my true unlimited plan. Almost making it pointless since I'm close to the data limit by using pandora all teh time. ugh
You ought not have to switch providers from AT&T now that this ruling has been handed down.

The other Network Operators will have to acknowledge how the FCC ruled with respect to charging independently for tethering and directing the phone manufacturers to neuter tethering ability, and make the necessary changes to fall within compliance.

Nothing stops them from raising everyone's bill by $X dollars and rolling tethering into the the data plan cost - but then this may look like collusion, and then I'm sure someone will file with the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) why Network Providers are now bill stuffing a charge for tethering when the feature is not an operator cost and uses the same data which the consumer has paid for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b00st View Post
I've never paid using PDANet on rooted Android. But it's good to hear I'm not a bad guy anymore.
PDAnet was one work around but it could be clunky at times. You also had to install a client on your computer if you wanted to use, say, your laptop with it.

Also some devices, like the HP Touchpad and others, refuse to accept data from ad-hoc connections.

I jailbroke my Iphone and re-enabled Tethering. Tmobile would send me multiple text message warnings about using it without a plan and threatened to automatically bill me if I continued.

I called and let them know I received their text and would challenge any unauthorized charge on my account. Never heard back .... I'm sure they were stewing on the fact that I wouldn't roll over.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#7)
Site Owner

January 10, 2013, 12:12 PM

IIRC this has nothing to do with other carries.

This has everything to do with an agreement that Verizon came to with the federal government when they purchased a multi billion dollar spectrum of airwaves. There was a stipulation that they cannot charge extra to use other devices on this spectrum (tethering).

The only reason AT&T, etc would stop charging for tethering is simply to be competitive to Verizon -- they are under no mandate by the federal government to disallow tethering like Verizon is.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#8)
BURRRRRR

January 10, 2013, 12:24 PM

Tmobile just recently started blocking tathering. I filed a BBB complaint about it and the complaint was fowarded to the FCC from what i was told because there is over 45 thousand customers that filed a complaint about tmobile and tathering services
Unread
  (#9)
I'm a llama again!

January 10, 2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecknojoe View Post

You can tether now just use FoxFi no fancy unlocking or anything.

Yeah I am old enough to know better. Thing is, I just don't care.
Unread
  (#10)
Fast Lane Racing

January 10, 2013, 12:33 PM

very cool, I just enabled wifi hotspot recently because of my axe though FIOS line situation

. I just noticed this artice is from july 31 2012.. I wonder how long it will take to implement on the billing side

I suppose I can do a FTC complaint if they bill me for it since it's well past the court ruling and see what happens.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
poz top looking 4 neg bot

January 10, 2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt2jzgtes View Post
Tmobile just recently started blocking tathering. I filed a BBB complaint about it and the complaint was fowarded to the FCC from what i was told because there is over 45 thousand customers that filed a complaint about tmobile and tathering services
Man, tathering is the best.

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you
Unread
  (#12)
Your Ad Here

January 10, 2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt2jzgtes View Post
Interesting. If there's a petition, I'd happily sign. Tmo tried to offer me the discounted price of $15/per mo. because I was "valued long time user."

GTFO. I laughed and told them, "No thank you - I'll just continue to use the freely available features of my phone without having to pay you extra for no additional benefit."

Never understood the legal justification or how the FTC could not immediately declare this action illegal.

It would be like buying a car from a dealership, and the dealer electronically disables 5th gear. If you want 5th Gear enabled, each month you have to be pay them a "Gearing Fee."

Unread
  (#13)
Site ADMIN

January 10, 2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
IIRC this has nothing to do with other carries.

This has everything to do with an agreement that Verizon came to with the federal government when they purchased a multi billion dollar spectrum of airwaves. There was a stipulation that they cannot charge extra to use other devices on this spectrum (tethering).

The only reason AT&T, etc would stop charging for tethering is simply to be competitive to Verizon -- they are under no mandate by the federal government to disallow tethering like Verizon is.
shit.

I still have the ATT unlimited data plan.. was hoping i could pick this up.

now they need to rule on the throttling bullshit..oh you can use unlimited data..just we can change how much that really is..fuckers

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#14)
Traction Control

January 10, 2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
You can tether now just use FoxFi no fancy unlocking or anything.

ooo, i'll try that. Yea I want to avoid unlocking. I don't have the time or energy to haxors my phone these days

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#15)
Site ADMIN

January 10, 2013, 02:58 PM

FoxFi is for Andriod FYI

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud