DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 556
4 members and 552 guests
davidcycle, lemond, Sal_the_man, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Feedback about surgery involving screws and plates
Unread
  (#1)
Flying tiger

Feedback about surgery involving screws and plates - February 12, 2013, 07:50 AM

Hey guys!

I was wondering if you wanted to share some experience about surgery, more precisely involving screws and plates, and how you got back to riding.

My surgery is tomorrow morning and I'm terrified!!!!

Seriously, how long after the surgery can I hope riding? Not running, dance salsa or whatever, but just to be able to take real turns getting off the bike and use a bit of rear break?

Thank you!

09 Yamaha Fazer 600 "Black Mamba" *** Totaled ***
07 Yamaha TT-R 230 ***Sold***
03 Honda CRF 150 F ***Sold***
06 Yamaha R6 (50th Anniversary Edition) ***Stolen***
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

February 12, 2013, 08:09 AM

Take it slow, I have titanium screws in my knee....if you rush it you will f yourself up for life. I have broken both ankles and opted to not have surgery (no insurance) and every morning I have to soak them for 15 minutes in hot water to loosen them up to even been able to walk without pain.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

February 12, 2013, 08:09 AM

I think quite a few ppl on this board have screws and plates somewhere. I'm fortunate enough to not be one of them. I think it's Von who's like the 6 million dollar man, more machine than human...
Unread
  (#4)
Fast Lane Racing

February 12, 2013, 08:26 AM

I have two screws in my ankle.

Do your therapy etc, stay off it, dont rush things.

I'd say this summer is probably out of the question, maybe some fall riding though. I had a metal robot leg thing for a couple months. Be careful when you do get on, youll be applying pressure to a joint that hasn't had any for months.

take your time.

Last edited by CCS762ZX6; February 12, 2013 at 08:30 AM..
Unread
  (#5)
Flying tiger

February 12, 2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_Jumper View Post
I have titanium screws in my knee....
WTF???????????

Quote:
I have broken both ankles
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat???????????????

Quote:
every morning I have to soak them for 15 minutes in hot water to loosen them up to even been able to walk without pain.
Awwwwwwwwww naaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwwwwww

Quote:
Opted to not have surgery (no insurance).
I have insurance that pays for everything apparently so I just worry about meds co-pay, $10 and that's it (I'm almost ashamed). They said surgery, so I was just like "aight" LOL

So you even still ride off road, damn you're a boss.

Unread
  (#6)
Flying tiger

February 12, 2013, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS762ZX6 View Post
I'd say this summer is probably out of the question, maybe some fall riding though.
ETERNITY my friend ...

Why so long? Tell me! This joint stuff? I thought cast business was just about four weeks.
By the way I feel very dis-informed...

You had the screws taken off? I was told they'd remove my stuff in a year. So grosssssssssssssss

Unread
  (#7)
Fast Lane Racing

February 12, 2013, 08:48 AM

I was told they'd remove them. I still have them in. I have to go through another brocedure to get htem out. I wont do it unless its necessary. I feel some pain in the cold, but I just deal with it. It's not crippling pain, I just know theyre there sometimes.

you need to think big picture. doing shit too early will have consequences. listen to your doctor. Also, consider your age, you wont heal like you did at 16

Ive had casts in summer time several years, you just gotta deal with it. If I cut my casts off like other people I know, I wouldn't be able to do the stuff I do today.

You'll be ok, you probably have a good doctor. He will advise you. Listen to him before anyone on a message forum. That's why he gets paid the big bucks.

Other than the pain immediately after surgery, it's the whole "being lame" part that is really tough to handle. Hang out with friends, dont drink too much. Dont be a shut-in. All of that is easy to fall into when you are bed ridden, or at least unable to do 95% of the shit you used to do. stay strong. Lots of luck.

Last edited by CCS762ZX6; February 12, 2013 at 08:51 AM..
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

February 12, 2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwanda91 View Post
So you even still ride off road, damn you're a boss.
Not a boss just too stubborn to give up......although Myself and my family already know that I will probably be in a chair by the time I hit 55 or so....price one pays for being dumb I guess.
Unread
  (#9)
TPG og

February 12, 2013, 09:11 AM

You'll be able to tell when it's gonna rain.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#10)
SUPERBITCHIN'

February 12, 2013, 09:12 AM

did anyone mention what happens when the body rejects the metal?
maybe we shouldn't talk about it in front of her...

girl, you'll be fine, they'll cut in, drill into your bones, put a piece of titanium with some screws, I'm assuming phillips heads not flat, use a needle and rope to saw your muscles and skin back up and you'll be fine.

I'd be more worried about the physical therapy

E che cazzo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}  
Unread
  (#11)
noise

February 12, 2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwanda91 View Post
Hey guys!

I was wondering if you wanted to share some experience about surgery, more precisely involving screws and plates, and how you got back to riding.

My surgery is tomorrow morning and I'm terrified!!!!

Seriously, how long after the surgery can I hope riding? Not running, dance salsa or whatever, but just to be able to take real turns getting off the bike and use a bit of rear break?

Thank you!

That doesn't seem too bad

Mine was a bit more complicated, 32 screws in the leg with the longest plate made at the time, 3 more in the ankle, and a few bolts in the hip... Wheelchaired for 6 months I think, seemed like forever, then walker, moved to crutches. Eventually, slow paced walking stopping to rest every 50 feet at first.

Seemed like an eternity before attempting to ride. 1st time lasted only 20 minutes before turning around, race boots wasn't kind and still isn't today.

You could probably make an attempt to ride when you're able to walk quite a distance and/or bear full weight on it. Easy cruising keeping in mind that if you have to put a foot down...use the other good leg!

Good Luck with surgery and hope you get a great PT to help you back on your feet. No Pain No Gain...

"Love is love and family is what is around you and who is in your immediate sphere."
Unread
  (#12)
Toe Dragger

February 12, 2013, 01:22 PM

Ive got screws in my knee, and screws and a plate in my neck... You will be fine.. Just do as the doc says and DO NOT CHEAT ON YOUR PHYSICAL THERAPY!!! I am going through PT right now for my 7th operation on my knee and the doc says i am looking at knee replacement soon, so I am doing everything I can to stave that off for a few more years. PT SUCKS, but it can mean the difference between a successful surgery or one that leaves you more screwed up. Do your exercises at home, and don't try to be a hero and power through pain.. listen to your body. It should hurt a little, but you will start to know the difference between the "good" pain and the "bad".. Dont want to scare you.. you will be fine, just listen to your body and don't rush it.

Chad
Sales Manager Duc Pond Motosports
I Make you Ducati Dreams Come True... LOL! Seriously! I do!

1999 Ducati 996 (sold)
1998 GSXR600 track bike (shamu) sold..
2008 Kwaki Versys sold...
2006 VFR800 Sold..
2001 Road King? Yep....
Unread
  (#13)
Member of SRWJTS

February 12, 2013, 01:43 PM

My mother fell down a barn stairway to the hayloft and snapped her ankle. I believe she got 3 screws in the ankle and a little bar after the accident. She was about 55 when it happened so the injury took a while to heal, also she's diabetic so that contributes. Just take it really easy for a year before you go nuts. But you'll probably be able to ride sooner than that.

2001 Kawasaki ZX6R: Yoshi slip-on
1999 Trans AM WS6, Long tubes, full exhaust, extra sexy
2006 GTO 6spd, 1 of 390 Silver, SLP LM1 (Sold)
2001 R1; blue, Yoshi slip on (sold Jan 12, 2012)
(RIP) 2000 Camaro SS
1999 Trans Am Ws6 30k miles, 6spd (sold)
1999 Camaro coupe 6 cyl (traded in after a week to get the SS)
Unread
  (#14)
Site ADMIN

February 12, 2013, 01:45 PM

Didnt brad have this surgery after his foot got caught between the road and his footpeg?

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#15)
GP Racer

February 12, 2013, 01:56 PM

main this is get to your therapy and stick with it you will be back to good in no time, riding by time its 80 degrees
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to islandboy