DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 574
4 members and 570 guests
CCS762ZX6, davidcycle, ReasonableDoubt, RRonin
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Feel-good story of the day
Unread
  (#1)
MSF Student

Feel-good story of the day - November 2, 2006, 01:15 PM

Message in a Bottle Resurfaces 11 Years Later
ANTIGO, Wis. -- Years after casting a bottled-up note into a lake for a class project and just one year after his death, a man's childhood message has been found and returned to his mother.

Eleven years ago when he was 10, Joshua Baker wrote the message nestled in an empty container, said his mother, Maggie Holbrook. He died in February 2005 after a motor vehicle accident in California. Not long before, he had returned from serving in the Mideast as a Marine.

"I think he was just letting us know he was OK and to keep doing what we are doing," Holbrook said.

The message surfaced in White Lake in late April, just days after the 11th anniversary of its casting. It was found by one of Baker's closest friends, Steve Lieder of Antigo, she said. Lieder and two friends were chatting near the lake when they looked down and saw the bottle. They broke it open and found the note inside:

"My name is Josh Baker. I am 10. If you find this put it on the news. The date is 4/16/95."

They immediately took it to Holbrook, who said she is now having the note preserved and will display it in her home. She can remember when her son wrote the message for the school project. She said she always wondered why they didn't put it in the nearby Wolf River, which has a stronger current. "I still remember the day he wrote it," Holbrook said. "I couldn't understand why they threw it in the lake. No one would ever see it again. Now I know."
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
.com refugee

November 2, 2006, 01:28 PM

It is such a small freakin world!!!

My Inlaws own this place which is a few YARDS from the lake in the story. Hit the satellite view and you can see the lake. The place is paradise if you like ridin in dirt, killin chit, fishing, snowmobiling, ect. ect.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Infidel24