DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 567
3 members and 564 guests
davidcycle, RideUniverse, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
For the fellas...
Unread
  (#1)
Brainwash Your Face!

For the fellas... - October 5, 2006, 03:04 PM

In Fairfax, Bikinis and Buzz Cuts

By Chris Kirkham
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, October 2, 2006; Page D01

Mike Blot and Rudy Lilly were fed up. They wanted decent haircuts but hated the available options.

It was either endure the modern unisex hair salon, with its flowery smells and complicated gels, or put up with the cigarette-smoking barber down the street

Their solution: Girls in bikinis, cutting hair in a beach-themed salon.

"Life's too short for an ugly barber," Lilly said.

When their Paradise Cuts salon opens later this week in Fairfax, Blot and Lilly, both 43, hope it solves a problem that is enticing entrepreneurs in cities nationwide. They think men want the same pampering as women -- whether it's a pedicure or a body wax. But they don't want it done in mixed company or in an atmosphere that's too feminine.
The result has been a boomlet in salons designed for macho appeal. An evolution beyond the corner barbershop and the one-size-fits-all metrosexual boutique, they range in tone from sports kitsch to boardroom serious. The bikini-clad stylists at Paradise Cuts are a variation on the theme found at Knockouts, where men get trimmed in a boxing ring by women in boxing shorts and can channel-surf in the process. Sport Clips as a locker room theme, widescreen televisions and women stylists trained to make sports-related small talk. The Grooming Lounge, which has two locations in the area, features leather couches and free liquor.

The salon and barbershop industry, ranging from high-end lounges to bargain-franchise operations like the locally based Hair Cuttery, was worth more than $28 billion as of 2002, according to U.S. Census estimates.
On a recent Saturday in Fairfax, Paradise Cuts stylists wearing pastel bikini tops and flowing sarongs chatted with friends at an open house. The styling mirrors hung from surfboards. A mural of a Hawaiian beach scene with palm trees and dunes decorated the wall.

Stylist Sheryl Cubbage leaned against the faux-bamboo haircut station. "Men like visuals, so why not have a good haircut and a . . . good conversation," said Cubbage, 36, who also plays guitar in a local rock band. "It's about being pampered. Women get it all the time, so why shouldn't men?"

Aside from atmosphere, many of the services in these male-centric businesses are identical to those offered by high-end salons that cater to women. They offer pedicures, waxing, highlighting and massages, along with haircuts. Prices range from $20 to upward of $50 for a simple cut. There's a discount for children.

"What's still happening for men is that we want vestiges of our old barbershop, we want the feeling of other men being around us, but we want the goods and services of what's being offered in a wider array," said Gregory Fairchild, a former fashion industry employee who is now an assistant professor at University of Virginia's Darden Business School. "They still want to have the male-bonding experience in a comfortable way."

Like the other male-focused chains, Paradise Cuts has franchising in mind.
Knockouts, with such aptly titled trims as the Heavyweight and the Uppercut, started in Dallas in late 2003. It has since has expanded to eight states and has sold more than 40 locations.

Sport Clips, also based in Texas, got its start in the '90s. The franchise has expanded to 425 stores throughout the country, but is new to Northern Virginia and much of the East Coast. The franchise had locations in Manassas and Stafford that closed last year, but a new one in Ashburn is set to open this week. Its stores are more geared toward families and don't offer additional spa services. But the goal is the same.

"We want to do for haircuts what Starbucks did for coffee," said Gordon Logan, the chain's founder. "It's creating an experience around getting a haircut, which most men don't look forward to."

Admittedly, Blot and Lilly take the concept a bit further.
Finding the right employees was an obstacle. The newspaper ads they placed simply called for stylists. When the responses came back, Lilly had to explain the concept and the dress code over the phone. Some chafed at the idea, but others were sold.
"One girl just liked the idea of wearing less clothes to work," Blot said.
Although Blot and Lilly don't consider the premise racy, any potential backlash may work to their advantage.

In Salt Lake City, a similarly themed store called Bikini Cuts used controversy to its advantage. After protests from local politicians and representatives of the Mormon Church, customers flocked to the salon.

"[Salt Lake] is odd, but in a way it's the perfect place. It's nothing but free advertising," said Bikini Cuts owner Clint Jensen. "The more taboo it is out here, the busier you are."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...100100688.html

"Someone should donkey punch that bitch with a waffle iron then upload the video to World Star Hip Hop" ~.Nets Resident Chivalrous Gentlemen Stillie

RIP KATIE RIP BAMBAM RIP VEGA
Gasoline by The Bouncing Souls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOxc2cM75NI

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Nothing here

October 5, 2006, 03:09 PM

This too closely resembles my idea of the "Bar Bare Shop" A fully stocked sports bar with big screens and hair cuts by women in lingerie. Rip off artists.
Unread
  (#3)
I'm an Asshole

October 5, 2006, 03:14 PM

What's the address? and do they trim beards too?

If you can read this, give me a red dot
If you get mad when I type, do us both a favor.

Some recent rep I have been given:
-U-R-Gay (unsigned)
-you dont even ride you troll (unsigned)
-you are now 115% gay, ghey, and ghay (unsigned)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to griffindj Send a message via Skype™ to griffindj 
Unread
  (#4)
Brainwash Your Face!

October 5, 2006, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffindj
What's the address? and do they trim beards too?
Please note thread title...For the fellas

Not:

For the dipshits
For the desperate
For the pathetic

In the immortal words of the house in the Amityville Horror....

"Geetttttt Outttttt"

"Someone should donkey punch that bitch with a waffle iron then upload the video to World Star Hip Hop" ~.Nets Resident Chivalrous Gentlemen Stillie

Unread
  (#5)
IrightI

October 5, 2006, 03:20 PM

I saw this the other day in the Post so I did some research. A haircut is $40! Damn. Griff - they do all that shit - they'll even bleach your anus - but its all pretty expensive.

06 R6 Raven
03 R6 Track
Unread
  (#6)
Site ADMIN

October 5, 2006, 03:20 PM

oh snap

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#7)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

October 5, 2006, 03:24 PM

FACK YO BLEACHED ANUS

40 dollars because those fat bitches are in bikini tops? I'll keep going to hair cuttery and spend 12 dollars from the 170 year old asian that cuts mine.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#8)
Brainwash Your Face!

October 5, 2006, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
FACK YO BLEACHED ANUS

40 dollars because those fat bitches are in bikini tops? I'll keep going to hair cuttery and spend 12 dollars from the 170 year old asian that cuts mine.
With gummed jawed happy ending?

Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

October 5, 2006, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
FACK YO BLEACHED ANUS

Old Korean women are the best at cutting hair.

If this post was really for the fellas it would have had more then one picture and 3/4 less to read.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JAGULE  
Unread
  (#10)
I am a bitch, so what?

October 5, 2006, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomchic00

Not:

For the dipshits
For the desperate
For the pathetic

"Geetttttt Outttttt"

Yeah, but who do you think actually goes to these places???

the dipshits
the desparates
the pathetic

Every time we hold our tongues instead of returning the sharp retort, show patience with another's faults, show a little more love and kindness, we are helping to stock-pile more of these peace-bringing qualities in the world instead of armaments for war. -- Constance Foster
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to RRSheDevil Send a message via AIM to RRSheDevil  
Unread
  (#11)
B
It goes to 11.

October 5, 2006, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGULE
Old Korean women are the best at cutting hair.

If this post was really for the fellas it would have had more then one picture and 3/4 less to read.
AHAHAHAHAHAA

those are the two most true statements I have read all day!

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

October 5, 2006, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomchic00

Not:

For the dipshits
For the desperate
For the pathetic

"Geetttttt Outttttt"
See Boom. This is why I love you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
Stinky:
Im so excited im about to pre-blast in my pants.....then....it hits me...
I smell her arm pits and i damn near threw up!!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hfam95 Send a message via AIM to hfam95  
Unread
  (#13)
I'm an Asshole

October 5, 2006, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R6SheDevil
Yeah, but who do you think actually goes to these places???

the dipshits
the desparates
the pathetic

Exactly!

oh and FUCK YOU BOOM

If you can read this, give me a red dot
If you get mad when I type, do us both a favor.

Some recent rep I have been given:
-U-R-Gay (unsigned)
-you dont even ride you troll (unsigned)
-you are now 115% gay, ghey, and ghay (unsigned)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to griffindj Send a message via Skype™ to griffindj 
Unread
  (#14)
singin sweet home alabama

October 5, 2006, 03:46 PM

No thanks, I'll go to a strip joint for strippers, and continue to get my hair cut by my wife with the buzzer-thing.

Women worry about hair. Men get buzz cuts.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#15)
Pleased to meet me

October 5, 2006, 03:54 PM

Happy endings and straight razors...