DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 600
2 members and 598 guests
beatle, CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
female circumcision trial
Unread
  (#1)
i like to make toilet

female circumcision trial - November 2, 2006, 09:44 PM

Female circumcision trial may be first in U.S.

POSTED: 3:44 p.m. EDT, October 27, 2006

var clickExpire = "11/26/2006";Adjust font size:

LAWRENCEVILLE, Georgia (AP) -- The trial of an Atlanta-area father accused of circumcising his 2-year-old daughter with scissors is focusing attention on an ancient African practice that experts say is slowly becoming more common in the U.S. as immigrant communities grow.
Khalid Adem, a 30-year-old immigrant from Ethiopia, is charged with aggravated battery and cruelty to children.
Human rights observers said they believe this is the first criminal case in the U.S. involving the 5,000-year-old practice.
Prosecutors say Adem used scissors to remove his daughter's clitoris in their apartment in 2001. The child's mother said she did not discover it until more than a year later.
"He said he wanted to preserve her virginity," Fortunate Adem, the girl's mother, testified this week. "He said it was the will of God. I became angry in my mind. I thought he was crazy."
The girl, now 7, also testified, clutching a teddy bear and saying that her father "cut me on my private part." Adem cried loudly as his daughter left the courtroom.
Testifying on his own behalf Friday, Adem said he never circumcised his daughter or asked anyone else to do so. He said he grew up in Addis Ababa, the capital of Ethiopia, and considers the practice more prevalent in rural areas.
Adem, who removed a handkerchief from his pocket and cried at one point during his testimony, was asked what he thought of someone who believes in the practice. He replied: "The word I can say is `mind in the gutter.' He is a moron."
His lawyer, Mark Hill, acknowledged that Adem's daughter had been cut. But he implied that the family of Fortunate Adem, who immigrated from South Africa when she was 6, may have had the procedure done.
The Adems divorced in 2003, and Hill suggested that the couple's daughter was encouraged to testify against her father by her mother, who has full custody.
If convicted, Adem, a clerk at a suburban Atlanta gas station, could get up to 40 years in prison.
The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, using figures from the 1990 Census, estimated that 168,000 girls and women in the U.S. had undergone the procedure or were at risk of being subjected to it.
The State Department estimates that up to 130 million women worldwide had undergone circumcision as of 2001. Knives, razors or even sharp stones are usually used, according to a 2001 department report. The tools often are not sterilized, and often, many girls are circumcised at the same ceremony, leading to infection.
It is unknown how many girls have died from the procedure, either during the cutting or from infections, or years later in childbirth.
Nightmares, depression, shock and feelings of betrayal are common psychological side effects, according to the federal report.
The report estimated that 73 percent of women in Ethiopia had undergone the procedure, based on a 1997 survey.
Taina Bien-Aime, executive director of Equality Now, an international human rights group, said female circumcision is most widely practiced in a 28-country swath of Africa. She said more than 90 percent of women in Ethiopia are believed to have been subjected to the practice, and more in places like Egypt and Somalia.
"It is a preparation for marriage," Bien-Aime said. "If the girl is not circumcised, her chances of being married are very slim."
The practice crosses ethnic and cultural lines and is not tied to a particular religion. Activists say the practice is intended to deny women sexual pleasure. In its most extreme form, the clitoris and parts of the labia are removed and the labia that remain are stitched together.
"I had maybe read about it in Reader's Digest or some other journal, but not really considered it a possibility here," said Dr. Rose Badaruddin, the pediatrician for the Adems' daughter.
Many refugees from Ethiopia and Somalia come to Georgia through a federal refugee resettlement program.
"With immigration, the immigrants travel with their traditions," Bien-Aime said. "Female genital mutilation is not an exception."
Federal law specifically bans the practice, but many states do not have a law addressing it. Georgia lawmakers, with the support of Fortunate Adem, passed an anti-mutilation law last year. Khalid Adem is not being tried under that law, since it did not exist when his daughter's cutting allegedly happened.
Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Rocket girl

November 3, 2006, 06:49 AM

Someone should cut something of his off!!!!!

Angie
05 GSX-R 600 sold

I will be back on 2!!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to angiegsxr 600 Send a message via MSN to angiegsxr 600  
Unread
  (#3)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

November 3, 2006, 06:52 AM

I heard about this on DC101 from Elliot. This has been going on in other countries for hundreds of years! But to me its just plan fucing wrong!!! I am with you cut his balls off with a pair of dull sissors!

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
DAS BOOT

November 3, 2006, 06:56 AM

+1 Dodge, I heard it on there too.... the problem is- in other countries, that is a part of their culture. It's not right (in my mind anyway)...but it is something that they are accustomed to. I guess many different groups have gone to the countries trying to convince them of how wrong this is (genital mutilation), and how mass the spread of AIDS in the country because they use one blade for all of the girls....
horrible story....

Wow. Just..................wow.
Unread
  (#5)
IrightI

November 3, 2006, 07:10 AM

I don't think they should call it circumcision, that gives it a positive connotation. It should be called mutilation instead. I heard it on DC101 the other day too and I didn't understand what the uproar was about. I thought to myself: shit I got circumsized and that makes the bitties happy.

06 R6 Raven
03 R6 Track
Unread
  (#6)
B
It goes to 11.

November 3, 2006, 08:01 AM

Wow... remove the most sexually entertaining part of the female body...

Wonder who's idea that was... Gotta love male dominated societies.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#7)
Lurking

November 3, 2006, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131
I heard about this on DC101 from Elliot. This has been going on in other countries for hundreds of years! But to me its just plan fucing wrong!!! I am with you cut his balls off with a pair of dull sissors!
+1 That is so fucked up. I agree with the idea of cutting the nuts off of anyone who did this with the same blade or sissors they used as their punishment.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CrazyDaDa  
Unread
  (#8)
Meh

November 3, 2006, 11:23 AM

It is a slippery slope. There are several things that I am against that are cultural norms in other societies but once you start picking a choosing what is appropriate because you are in the states....slippery
Unread
  (#9)
B
It goes to 11.

November 3, 2006, 11:27 AM

Female mutilation because of male dominance is never ok... or right...

Male dominated societies have long sought ways of keeping women from being able to be sexually aroused in order to ensure fidelity. Of course, in these societies, infidelity on the males part is par for the course. I don't see how you can reconcile this in ANY way. Women are not baby machines no matter what society you are in.

In some societies they even sew up the womans vagina until she is married, making the already painful, and many times emotionally and physically taxing first experience with sex, multiple times worse. Are you surprised why men are often generalized in the fuck, finish, roll-over, sleep steriotype? Even in civilized society.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Last edited by B; November 3, 2006 at 11:30 AM..
Unread
  (#10)
Meh

November 3, 2006, 11:45 AM

Don't get me wrong....totally barbaric and abhorent, but in this PC time...I am sure that the ACLU will defend him.
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

November 3, 2006, 11:50 AM

It's also disturbing that there are women in an "on hold" pattern asking for asylum into the united states because of the threat of genital mutilation, and the government isn't sure what to do...

Talk nerdy to me

It's not how many times you get knocked down,
it's how many times you get back up!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
Meh

November 3, 2006, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrben
Female mutilation because of male dominance is never ok... or right...

Male dominated societies have long sought ways of keeping women from being able to be sexually aroused in order to ensure fidelity. Of course, in these societies, infidelity on the males part is par for the course. I don't see how you can reconcile this in ANY way. Women are not baby machines no matter what society you are in.

In some societies they even sew up the womans vagina until she is married, making the already painful, and many times emotionally and physically taxing first experience with sex, multiple times worse. Are you surprised why men are often generalized in the fuck, finish, roll-over, sleep steriotype? Even in civilized society.
Where did I say I was justifying it....? I was just speaking to the fact that what one culture deems the norm vs another is strictly a point of opinion. Do I think that those people are completely fucked up...yes, most certainly.

Some people would find the process of circumcision equally as barbaric. No ant eater for me but it is all cultural norms for some people. Shit, some people eat the placenta of a recently birthed infant as a cultural practice.

These people are all screwed in the head but that is completely normal to them.
Unread
  (#13)
singin sweet home alabama

November 3, 2006, 11:52 AM

Ah, the things people will do in the name of religion & moral values. It's real shame... even male circumcision here in the states IMO; it virtually has to be done just to keep a son "normal" (and at least there is a cleanliness argument).

I say to any male who would wants to do this procedure to his daughter or any female: get the head of your d*ck cut off first (and not just the foreskin); it will help you be faithful.

The fooking stupid things people do.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."

Last edited by DvlsAdvc8; November 3, 2006 at 12:02 PM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#14)
B
It goes to 11.

November 3, 2006, 11:56 AM

Your bias overwhelms you.

Secularism sucks the brains of fully formed babies in the third trimester out through a hole in thier head, made by a pair of sissors as they are being "delivered".

SV650s for SALE!!!

Unread
  (#15)
singin sweet home alabama

November 3, 2006, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrben
Your bias overwhelms you.

Secularism sucks the brains of fully formed babies in the third trimester out through a hole in thier head, made by a pair of sissors as they are being "delivered".
EEEEH! Wrong answer.

Abortion is not confined to belief or disbelief. In fact, the overwhelming majority of women having abortions believe in God.

And besides, very few, if anyone, agrees with late term abortion except as it applies to saving the life of the mother or other health concern. Abortion rights groups protect it out of fear... the slippery slope of banning one kind of abortion sliding to cover all types of abortion.

There are pro-life and pro-choice Atheists, just like Theists. What you won't find is an Atheist multilating his children to protect their supposed virtue.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."

Last edited by DvlsAdvc8; November 3, 2006 at 12:13 PM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8