DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 226
0 members and 226 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1261)
Track Day addict

June 22, 2017, 06:47 AM

He had already handed is DL out the window, so at that point maybe he was reaching for his insurance card? In any case when the office tells you to stop reaching, you should absolutely freeze. Maybe that is what happened, maybe not. There certainly isn't enough evidence in the video to find the officer guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Remember that the standard of reasonable doubt applies in convicting the police of crimes, as it should.

Dale - 1991 550 Zephyr, 2001 FZ1, 2003 R1 track, 2007 Tuono
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#1262)
Full spin ahead.

June 22, 2017, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed3 View Post
It seems the commonality is people resisting arrest.
That's the problem I have with this case in particular. From what I can tell, Castile wasn't fighting with the LEO. Did he do everything 100% correctly? No, but it's possible that he misinterpreted the officer's instruction and was retrieving his ID in a location not even close to his firearm. I have dodgy hearing in one of my ears, so if I'm not careful, or if there's a lot of background noise (e.g. roadside), I could have made a similar mistake. Even some conservative online rags (National Review, Daily Wire) have issues with the outcome of this case.

I don't blame the officer for pulling his gun, especially when Castile continued reaching to reach for something, but if Castile had actually pulled his gun, the officer would have been ready to defend himself before a shot could be fired. Granted, I probably wouldn't have been able to do that, but I'm not a professional who trained for that specific interaction, as every officer should be.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to scarab  
Unread
  (#1263)
RIP Jeff Vega

June 22, 2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarab View Post
That's the problem I have with this case in particular. From what I can tell, Castile wasn't fighting with the LEO. Did he do everything 100% correctly? No, but it's possible that he misinterpreted the officer's instruction and was retrieving his ID in a location not even close to his firearm. I have dodgy hearing in one of my ears, so if I'm not careful, or if there's a lot of background noise (e.g. roadside), I could have made a similar mistake. Even some conservative online rags (National Review, Daily Wire) have issues with the outcome of this case.

I don't blame the officer for pulling his gun, especially when Castile continued reaching to reach for something, but if Castile had actually pulled his gun, the officer would have been ready to defend himself before a shot could be fired. Granted, I probably wouldn't have been able to do that, but I'm not a professional who trained for that specific interaction, as every officer should be.
the problem is we don't have another camera view that really shows what is going on inside the vehicle. This could be a bad shoot, or it could be a good shoot.

Maybe keeping both hands on the wheel would have been a better option? I live in MD and can't carry and no sense "arm chair quarterbacking it".

Personally, I'm not shocked by the ruling in this case. Without a better view of what transpired in the car that we can't see, its a one sided story as the other party isn't here, worse than a "he said, she said"...literally just a "sworn officer" said.

If people just follow the officers instructions, and stop resisting and ignoring directives, lots of the "controversial" shootings will go away. Maybe the officer is in the wrong, however I would personally like to spend $10k in court defending myself than have my wife and kids watch me get buried in the ground.
Unread
  (#1264)
No more 1050 :(

June 23, 2017, 01:08 AM

Wow fellas... damn.

Guess I'll just leave it as resisting arrest is NOT justification for shooting.
Unread
  (#1265)
No more 1050 :(

June 23, 2017, 01:08 AM

Wow fellas... damn.

Guess I'll just leave it as resisting arrest is NOT justification for shooting.
Unread
  (#1266)
Your Ad Here

June 23, 2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blueyam View Post
He had already handed is DL out the window, so at that point maybe he was reaching for his insurance card? In any case when the office tells you to stop reaching, you should absolutely freeze. Maybe that is what happened, maybe not. There certainly isn't enough evidence in the video to find the officer guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Remember that the standard of reasonable doubt applies in convicting the police of crimes, as it should.
Well since he was legally armed and carried the required CCW, a mock scenario: What if Castille began preemptively pumping bullets into the officer at point blank range because "the officer unholstered and drew his service weapon after I informed him I was also armed - and I feared for my life. I feared he was going to shoot me."

Do you think there would be any reasonable doubt that Castille would be found guilty of manslaughter?

So why is it when the reverse happens, there's suddenly reasonable doubt that the officer committed any crimes. Not even the two lesser crimes of endangering the welfare of the child and the girlfriend by firing into the car? All three charges acquitted.

He committed exactly ZERO crimes despite clearly breaking nearly every traffic stop protocol and clearly not following his training .

For god's sake the post trial protestors spent more time in jail than this officer did.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#1267)
Your Ad Here

August 2, 2017, 01:06 PM

Glad to see since the Freddy Gray incident, and the Holder Consent Decree, which Sessions basically rolled back not soon after coming into office, Baltimore PD is taking on the opportunity to operate without Federal oversight responsibly and cleaning up their ac...

...oh wait.

I'm sure Sessions will be on top of this and put them back into Oversight.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#1268)
TNT
GP Champ

August 2, 2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Well since he was legally armed and carried the required CCW, a mock scenario: What if Castille began preemptively pumping bullets into the officer at point blank range because "the officer unholstered and drew his service weapon after I informed him I was also armed - and I feared for my life. I feared he was going to shoot me."

Do you think there would be any reasonable doubt that Castille would be found guilty of manslaughter?

So why is it when the reverse happens, there's suddenly reasonable doubt that the officer committed any crimes. Not even the two lesser crimes of endangering the welfare of the child and the girlfriend by firing into the car? All three charges acquitted.

He committed exactly ZERO crimes despite clearly breaking nearly every traffic stop protocol and clearly not following his training .

For god's sake the post trial protestors spent more time in jail than this officer did.
That's one that gets me. If a cop (or worse, a person impersonating a cop) draws down on me after I, to the best of my knowledge, have done nothing wrong and am peacefully minding my business, then the expectation is just that I sit there helpless and possibly get shot?

Think about all the no-knock warrant crap. Someone busts into my house at 0200 and shouts "police," how the hell am I supposed to know it's really police, and maybe I just got startled awake and didn't even hear it. WTF do I do but either let whoever just kicked down my door have his way with me and my family, or get shot by a SWAT team? And maybe all because they went to the wrong house - has happened before to some people.
Unread
  (#1269)
Ballaugh Bridge

August 2, 2017, 08:20 PM

A carry permit is null and void with drugs in your system, like Castille did.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#1270)
Your Ad Here

August 2, 2017, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMotorcycleGuy View Post
A carry permit is null and void with drugs in your system, like Castille did.
Que.
He didn't have drugs in his system.

And even if he did, does that make it OK for an extra judicial killing?

Unread
  (#1271)
Aqua Velvet

August 3, 2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Glad to see since the Freddy Gray incident, and the Holder Consent Decree, which Sessions basically rolled back not soon after coming into office, Baltimore PD is taking on the opportunity to operate without Federal oversight responsibly and cleaning up their ac...

...oh wait.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-fBkK87N5s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlLdJ8YfrG4

I'm sure Sessions will be on top of this and put them back into Oversight.
Did you actually read the entire Holder version? It was beyond stupid and actually influenced BPD to do literally nothing and look the other way on specified misdemeanors therein to include looking past quality of life issues ie; allowing large crowds to loiter in residential neighborhoods without cause, etc. I'm not advocating Sessions's method of action either but Holder was an idiot.
Unread
  (#1272)
Licensed Rider

August 3, 2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Que.
He didn't have drugs in his system.
Yes he did. Not justification for his killing but he did have drugs in his system at time of death.
Unread
  (#1273)
Meh

August 3, 2017, 10:06 PM

Isn't the video from November? How is that a Trump/Session DOJ issue again?
Unread
  (#1274)
Signed up for Track Days!

August 7, 2017, 08:19 AM

I think you need to ask yourself if any of these people getting murked by the police are people you would EVER let into your home, or be around your children.

The answer is invariably no for many many people.

You can see the societal divide when people answer yes to this, or get overly incensed.

They are trash people and I don't give a fuck who they get murdered by, because all they fucking do is steal and rape and rob and fuck society up anyhow.

I am an armed fucking asshole all day everyday. I run across the police non fucking stop. Breaking countless traffic laws, and in general not giving a fuck. I am also not a raging piece of shit that steals shit or sells drugs, robs people, or generally contributes to the shittyness of society. All I do is rub yuppie faggots and internet bleeding hearts the wrong way.

Not getting arrested for stupid shit, or getting shot by the police, is not fucking rocket science. Don't be guilty. Don't be guilty by association. Don't act like a fucking asshole unless its absolutely called for. Document everything. Pick your battles.

White collar internet nerds don't fucking matter in any of this anyhow.

Tags
america 2014, ferguson, mike brown