DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 468
2 members and 466 guests
beatle, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Finish what he started
Unread
  (#1)
SPANNERWRENCHCLICKCLICK

Finish what he started - November 18, 2011, 02:19 PM

!

'I need to finish what he started': Fallen soldier's fiancée to join Marine Corps the same month they were due to marry | Mail Online

'I need to finish what he started': Fallen soldier's fiancé to join Marine Corps the same month they were due to marry
By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
Last updated at 5:05 PM on 18th November 2011

The fiancé of a Marine killed in Afghanistan is honouring his memory in a unique way – by starting the job he loved.
Madeline Cates, 21, from Bratt, Florida, enlisted in the Marine Corps at the end of October ‘to finish what he started’.
Her fiancé, Travis Nelson, was killed in Afghanistan in August – just two weeks after his 19th birthday and five weeks after being deployed.

Miss Cates will begin training in March - the same month Lance Corporal Nelson was supposed to return. They had hoped to marry shortly after.
Although she had never considered a career in the military, Miss Cates said that, on hearing about her fiancé’s death, she felt compelled to join the Marines.

‘Something just drove me to do it; it was driving me crazy,’ she told NorthEscambia.com. ‘I could not just keep sitting here.
‘I have to do something with my life, and I couldn’t think of a better way to honor him than to follow in his footsteps.

I'm going to finish what he started.’
Miss Cates said his letters had prepared her for what to expect.

‘He told me about everything good and bad, so I know a little bit what to expect,’ she told CNN. ‘I feel the need to finish it. I want to see what he saw, do what he did.’
Her mother Gina Perry admitted she was not keen on the idea at first – but has since grown to accept it.
She said: ‘[I thought] maybe it was just her reaching for some part of him that she missed so much.
‘But I so respect and honour her decision to want to honour him.
‘If you knew them as a couple, you knew they were truly in love.’
Miss Cates added: ‘People always say, “Oh Travis wouldn’t want you to do this,” but I know Travis better than everyone and I think that he’d be okay with it as long as it’s what I wanted to do.’
Miss Cates, who had already picked out her wedding dress, visited a recruiter last month.
‘They were really surprised I was able to go in there,’ she said.

She took her oath to the United States Marines in October and is due to report to boot camp in Paris Island, South Carolina, on March 5 of next year.
Miss Cates’s decision comes after her own disbelief at her fiancé’s choice of career.
Laughing, she said: ‘At first I was like, “Oh look at him. That’s so cool – that’s my boyfriend”.’
Lance Corporal Travis Nelson was honoured with a monument and ceremony two weeks ago.

Bratt Park, where he played as a child, was renamed the Travis M. Nelson Park during a ceremony on 8 November.
Lance Corporal Nelson, who was killed on his first tour, had left behind a short note just in case he did return from the battlefield.
It read: ‘Dear friends and family, if you are reading this, I didn’t get to come home. I love each and every one of you. I have no regrets, I died for a meaningful cause.’

[SIGPIC]http://www.griseldaonline.it/foto/6galleria/tradimenti/warhol%20last%20supper%201986.jpg[/SIGPIC]The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

November 18, 2011, 02:21 PM

and now that she is in the news , she will attempt to use it to gain pity , which will be encouraged by officers who dictate to drill instructors how they are to treat her ...

I hope I am wrong, but I've seen this kind of thing before . it rarely ends well

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#3)
Derpetologist

November 18, 2011, 11:04 PM

Sorry to hear of her loss.

*Not intended to be a factual statement.

Last edited by Rail; November 19, 2011 at 09:44 AM..
Unread
  (#4)
On vacation

November 19, 2011, 08:36 AM

Good for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.