DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 557
1 members and 556 guests
2blueyam
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Fishing the Potomac
Unread
  (#1)
opossum puncher

Fishing the Potomac - July 19, 2007, 09:28 AM

Aight so here is the dillio.

Tuesday Im taking the day off, the little lady and I are gonna head out on the Potomac, launching out of Woodbridge. We will be on a 26' sea ray, so its not as small and cant get as shallow as a bass boat.

We plan on hitting up Tim's II for lunch or dinner, and we'd like to do some fishing.
Mattawoman is one of the better Bass fishing areas around and we'd like to take advantage of that. She is an experienced fisher, and I aint to shabby myself, but we've usually been out with family who could recommend to us which lures for which fish. Now Im looking for you all to help.

Also, around that area where else has good fishing? What else are we fishing for? What should we use for bait? Ive always been a huge fan of live crickets, but Im not sure if they will work on the Potomac.

We plan to be out there all day, picnic, lunch/dinner, drink or two, enjoy the sun, and the river. Any suggestions for places to enjoy? Inlets for sun? For fun? For privacy?

GrassyAss.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#2)
Naked...it's the only way

July 19, 2007, 09:46 AM

nice freaking boat man. I have an 18' fish/ski and I've spent plenty of time on the potomac.

I wouldn't get your mind set to actually catch anything, especially if you aren't going out butt ass early.

As for tips, watch out for the weeds. On saturday when I went out, there was still a bunch of heavy growth along the banks. You'll have to run some sort of topwater bait or play a worm. I was able to use size 3-4 mepps spinners (french, roostertail, etc) but you have to make sure to keep it up about an inch or two from the top of the water. Rattle traps are my favorite, but you can only really use them away from the weeds.

If you just want to drink and relax, then go pick up a pack or two of clam snouts and just fish for cats
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

July 19, 2007, 09:49 AM

All I catch in the mattawoman is catfish... and LOTS of them. We catch them using the nasty canadian night crawlers.

I don't have any other recommendations though... we always hit up mattawoman and throw the anchor in for a few hours and relax there. The water is nice and calm and its just really peaceful back there.

make sure you keep an eye on your depth finder getting back there though.. it gets a lil tricky in spots.
Unread
  (#4)
opossum puncher

July 19, 2007, 10:00 AM

Im tempted to go after that cats, pop a beer and put on the suntan lotion.

The boat aint mine. Care Free Boat Club : http://carefreeboats.com/carefree/

Got a free trial membership when my girlfirend and I bout at house at Potomac Club www.potomacclub.com

It included the class room time to get the boaters safty card, on the water training, and a few free trips out on the water using any of their boats under 27'

-

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
Unread
  (#5)
Naked...it's the only way

July 19, 2007, 10:22 AM

OMG. i've never heard of such a thing. how's it work? how much?
Unread
  (#6)
Street Bonk Bum.....

July 19, 2007, 10:39 AM

dude B-RAD the Mepps inline spinners are the poop! it drives bass crazy also if it is calm some top water lures work like jitter bugs but you have to know how to use them. good luck and have fun. it is the potomac so you may catch a diaper hahaha
Unread
  (#7)
opossum puncher

July 19, 2007, 11:08 AM

Costs depend on what you want to use. Boat club <27' Cruiser <32' Yaht <42'

There are 52 ports on the east coast you can use. At any time (depending on your membership)

You're covered up to 250K in insurance, and you dont have to do a single seconds worth of maintance. no slip fees, nothin but gas.

I have a friend who is considering selling his 29' formula fasttrak and joining.

Plans can be as cheep at 3k a year. (if you buy the 5 year plan) Plans are transferable and continue to go up in cost (so they make $)

The little lady and I are tempted, I just dont know if we would use it enough. Call some of the # on the links and they will try to sell you. If you own a boat this is cheeper, if you are getting in to boating its only worth it if you boat enough. Id rather be on two then on the water most of the time.

-

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
Unread
  (#8)
Street Bonk Bum.....

July 19, 2007, 11:50 AM

dont own a boat they are money pits