DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 577
6 members and 571 guests
amit, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, nootherids, Sal_the_man, Toecutter, TTViper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Fishing Project I thought I'd share...
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

Fishing Project I thought I'd share... - January 11, 2009, 08:02 PM

A family friend back home got the idea to put a laser in a fishing lure. I designed the electronics for him. Over the past couple years, he's put a ton of money in to the project, and it looks like it may finally take off.

We've recently signed Boyd Duckett as a Staff Pro rep for the upcoming Bassmaster Classic fishing tournament in Shreveport. You'll see our logo on vinyl wrapping his boat and truck. There will be a press release in the next few days with some even bigger news.

In case you're wondering, yes, they do work. Fish seem to follow laser pointers just like cats do.

Anyway, the company is called LaserLure, and the website is below.

http://www.laserlure.com/

'02 SV-650S track bike (for sale, but in Shreveport, LA)
'05 Yamaha TTR-125L
'94 Dodge Viper RT/10
other boring stuff

Last edited by mangle; January 11, 2009 at 08:05 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to mangle  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

January 11, 2009, 08:05 PM

Damn thats a cool idea I do alot of bass fishing!!! I'm gonna have to order one of these when the weather gets better... I'll let you guys know how they work when the weather gets better...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

January 11, 2009, 08:06 PM

Watch ESPN in early Feb. I'm betting on good things.

'05 Yamaha TTR-125L
'94 Dodge Viper RT/10
other boring stuff
Unread
  (#4)
TPG - screw face

January 11, 2009, 08:16 PM

surprised there aren't contest rules not allowing that....might as well throw bass food in the water and put ur lure in...or have a tackle box filled with m80's. So if I made a lure with a really big net on it...would that work? Kinda like deer hunters laying down trip wires and claymores or landmines....
Unread
  (#5)
Ballaugh Bridge

January 11, 2009, 08:17 PM

You need a dealer in NOVA.

I'll need to get one of these when I go the house on Lake Gaston that my step-sister and bro-in-law just bought.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#6)
GP Racer

January 11, 2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVbadguy View Post
You need a dealer in NOVA.

I'll need to get one of these when I go the house on Lake Gaston that my step-sister and bro-in-law just bought.
We have a few dealers in Richmond, Virginia Beach, and Delaware, but if you'll tell me when you're going, I'll see if I can round up one or two for you.

'05 Yamaha TTR-125L
'94 Dodge Viper RT/10
other boring stuff
Unread
  (#7)
GET SOME ! ! !

January 11, 2009, 10:56 PM

nice idea, wonder how they'll stack up throughout the year, GL

TPM/Roger Lyle/MARRC/NESBA #911

MARRC Cornerworker

2008 RAW Off-Road Desert Racing 58a Rider
Unread
  (#8)
Got my Permit

January 12, 2009, 12:06 AM

Bass Fishing is the best That sounds cool for those type of lures for bassfishing. Boyd Duckett is a great bass angler cannot wait for the Bassmasters to start
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Whitewater Junkie  
Unread
  (#9)
I was sleeping

January 12, 2009, 12:18 AM

KEV~
NESBA # 401
2002 Honda 919
2003 Yamaha R6(05-09 SOLD)

MARRC Safety Crew - www.marrc.org
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Dirty  
Unread
  (#10)
The last urrbendah

January 12, 2009, 08:18 AM

BANNED IN TOURAMENTS...

ILLEGAL IN 15 STATES...

GUARANTEED TO CATCH BASS OR YOUR MONEY BACK!!!!

YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS!

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#11)
The last urrbendah

January 12, 2009, 08:21 AM

Where is the men's section? I see no jig selection?

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#12)
Resident Rodent

January 12, 2009, 08:47 AM

Neat!

- Rat

"Ride to the sound of the guns."

http://www.magicratproductions.com
Unread
  (#13)
TPG - screw face

January 12, 2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
BANNED IN TOURAMENTS...

ILLEGAL IN 15 STATES...

GUARANTEED TO CATCH BASS OR YOUR MONEY BACK!!!!

YOU'RE GONNA LOVE MY NUTS!

martini, bikini, linquini, basstini....think you're gonna cry again for not catching anything * throws old lures behind the back into trash * fughetaboutit
Unread
  (#14)
opossum puncher

January 12, 2009, 08:49 AM

Id scoop a few of these and hit up Mattawoman Creek

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#15)
GP Racer

January 26, 2009, 06:15 PM

UPDATE:

We have now signed Mike Iaconelli as well. Press release is below at bassfan.com.

http://www.bassfan.com/news_article.asp?ID=3174

We're hoping for good things from the Bassmaster Classic in February.

Ike Inks LaserLure Deal Month Before Classic
Thursday, January 22, 2009

Photo: BassFan
Mike Iaconelli thinks a crankbait, and LaserLure, could be a factor at next month's Red River Bassmaster Classic.

In what seems the most dour off-season of the past few decades, there have been few bright spots. Some pros have inked minor deals, mostly with bait manufacturers, but the big deals that garner significant attention have largely been a no-show. An interesting development occurred a few weeks ago, though, when news broke that former Bassmaster Classic champion Boyd Duckett had signed a rather large endorsement deal with LaserLure – a virtually unknown lure company out of Louisiana.
The news became even more interesting when BassFan learned this week that LaserLure had also signed former Bassmaster Classic champion and BASS Angler of the Year Mike Iaconelli to an endorsement contract. Again, the deal appeared to be large in nature.
It's no coincidence that LaserLure suddenly seems aggressive in a struggling tackle market. The company's based in Shreveport, La. – the same town that'll be the focal point of the entire fishing industry next month when it plays host to the Bassmaster Classic.
According to LaserLure national sales manager Mike Lopez, there's very much an effort within the company to capitalize on the Classic, and perhaps even achieve a coveted Classic win with one of its baits.
"The Red River is very much a crankbait bite," Lopez noted. "We believe Mike and Boyd have the chance of winning the Classic with the Laser. I believe those guys believe that also."
See the Light
Lighted lures are nothing new. Each year, new baits appear with various light sources inside. Invariably though, they're LED lights. The big difference with LaserLure, Lopez said, is the lures emit an actual laser, not an LED.
"LED light makes the lure visible at night – it's dispersed light – so if a fish attacks an LED lure at night, it's not attacking the light, it's attacking the lure because it can see it," Lopez said. "A laser's a solid-particle beam – it's a refined light. Maybe you've watched a cat or dog attack a laser pointer. Fish do the same thing. It's their predatory instinct to attack a laser, and a laser is visible during the day, so the fish attack the light source."
Need some evidence? Check out the aquarium video at the end of this story.
LaserLure hardbaits cost $15.99 each. Battery life is 80 hours of fishing time (it only lights when in contact with water), and all the baits, Lopez said, are premium, hand-painted builds with red Mustad hooks.
But why the choice of Iaconelli, alongside Duckett, to help launch the upstart company?
"What attracts me to Mike is that his excitement and enthusiasm when he's fishing is what we're going for with LaserLure," Lopez said. "Since it's such a unique and futuristic bait, we think Mike's charisma and flair is what we need with this lure."
Seeds to Sprouts
According to Iaconelli, the beginnings of the deal occurred last year in a casual conversation. Those seeds then germinated to become the deal he struck this week with LaserLure.

"It's not one that just came out of left field," Ike said. "I met Mike (Lopez) a little over a year ago at a seminar I was doing. He came up, introduced himself, talked about his bait and gave me a few of them. It was very casual, and wasn't one of those deals where he was trying to sell me on a sponsorship. There was none of that. It was just, 'Hey look, I've got this product, check it out.'" It wasn't until a few months later that Ike got a chance to try the bait, and he threw it on one of his local lakes in New Jersey. Ike told BassFan that's he's an "extremely skeptical" person when it comes to new things – whether it's something like Gulp!, or new line, or yes, a bait with a laser inside of it.
"But I'm telling you they've got something here," he added. "The first time I used it was in New Jersey on a lake I fish all the time, and in my mind it did a better job than a traditional crankbait. The shallow-runner way outfished any normal crankbait I was throwing at the time. Even though I was skeptical, I saw those results and was like, 'Holy cow!'
After the season ended, Ike reconnected with Lopez and provided some feedback, and the deal started to move forward.
Ike noted that he can't speak much to the exact science behind the bait, other than to say it works. He did, though, harken back to something he witnessed several years ago that involved a laser pointer.
"I can remember fishing in a bedfishing tournament and a guy I drew had a red laser pointer. He'd throw a bait onto a bed, then point the laser on the bed and it would drive the fish nuts. It's the same thing with this bait. When you look at a hardbait, there's action, vibration, wobble, color, sound, scent, but I feel like here we're kind of tackling the last frontier in the senses of a fish. That red light triggers more bites."
Onto the Classic
With his LaserLure deal now inked, Ike said the company will be in prominent display on his uniform, boat and truck.
It's not an associate sponsorship. "It's a big deal. It's right up near the top for me. And this isn't something LaserLure's dabbling at. These guys are serious. They know what they've got, and they're coming in in a big way, and my jersey, boat and truck are going to reflect that."

Photo: LaserLure
LaserLure offers hardbaits in many body styles, including a shallow crank (top) and jerkbait.

Of course, the ultimate payoff for any lure deal is a Classic win. Could it happen this year? The early word from the Red River points to a jig or plastics win. But as Lopez noted, cranking's big on the Red too.
What's Ike think?
"Going into the Classic, in my mind, I'm thinking jig/plastics, spinnerbait/ChatterBait, then crankbait," he said. "One bait in those three categories is going to win this Classic. From the standpoint of the shallow-cranking deal, if the fish get on that deflection bite, where you have to bump a crank around wood, the LaserLure will be a factor.
"And I will say that potentially, in a lot of places we're going to fish, there are going to be other boats. So you'll have two or three boats sharing an area. What I have now is the confidence that if it's a shallow-cranking bite, even if there's five or six other boats around, nobody's got this bait that Boyd and I've got.
"If it means just a couple of extra fish a day, that's big. It can mean the difference between winning and coming in 2nd."
Notable
> The use of lighted lures is not illegal in either BASS or FLW Outdoors competition.
> LaserLure offers five (soon to be six) styles of hardbaits. For more info, visit LaserLure.com. Note that the lures cost $19.99 when purchased through the company's site, but $15.99 when purchased through a dealer. The site includes a dealer locator.

Comment on this item.

'05 Yamaha TTR-125L
'94 Dodge Viper RT/10
other boring stuff