DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 398
1 members and 397 guests
GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Food and gas prices, what are your thoughts.
Unread
  (#1)
Banned!

Food and gas prices, what are your thoughts. - April 24, 2008, 10:16 AM

Rent
Food
and GAS

going through the roof.

anyone effected?
i hear on the news that people put less food on the table for their kids due to gas..i know news blows shit up but when they were showing the clip the guy had a f350 at the pump. seriously some people need to swallow their cowboy pride and buy a $1500 civic.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Nothing here

April 24, 2008, 10:19 AM

Ehhh. America is full of too many fatso's anyway. Economically forced diets are a good thing.
Unread
  (#3)
BE ENCOURAGED!

April 24, 2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madali
Ehhh. America is full of too many fatso's anyway. Economically forced diets are a good thing.
No soup for you.

This is a GREAT thread. The current economic situation has effected me in a few ways.

First and formost on a business level. I have been in the flooring business for 21+ years and I have never seen it this slow. The housing market has dried up and my new home builders are laying off daily, so that business has completely disapeared. Commercial building projects, which in the company I work for I specialize in, are cut throat right now since every little Mom & Pop shop is trying to go after anything they can and are willing to do very large jobs for just a few thousand dollars profit just to stay in business. It makes it harder on the larger companies to be sure since we employ 30+ people and have a large payroll and overhead. Regionally I am seeing about 4 carpet companies a week go out of business right now. Our carpet & rug cleaning division is down, but doing well. What is odd, as I have seen poor economic times before, but when houses arent selling, people usually spend money on making the house they are in now look nicer. Not this time though. People are just not spending money at all right now, so my residential business is way off.

On a personal level, I drive a Dodge 2500 Cummings Diesel to and from my office and to job sites. With Diesel at $4.50 is a gallon I have been spending between $600 & $800 or more a month on fuel, so Tuesday I went out and bought a little used 2007 Ford Focus which is supposed to get about 30 MPG Highway. Wierd part is it pays for itself in savings. So for the first time in my life it is cheaper to own more cars

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?

Last edited by GUZZ; April 24, 2008 at 10:49 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#4)
Derpentine Dealer

April 24, 2008, 10:53 AM

Don't eat out. Rice. Potatoes. Fresh veggies. Poultry. Tuna. Fruit for dessert and snacks. It ain't pretty, but it's better for you and will save you tons of cash over the long haul.

I think I caught a glimpse of a cnn story on Starbucks tanking. Yeah, your daily double dry extra sweet fizzlenut crapuccino w/ whippets just got cut from the budget.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#5)
I wanna ride my moorsicle

April 24, 2008, 10:59 AM

That is actually what I find the most ridiculous out of all of this... Diesel should NEVER be more expensive than regular gas!!

As for the food- a lot of it is coming from all the subsidized farmers on the Ethanol bandwagon. Ethanol is not the answer, especially if we're going to try to make it from corn. There isn't enough land in this country to grow the corn that we would need to satisfy our dependence on oil.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Prizontatt  
Unread
  (#6)
Playing with toys

April 24, 2008, 11:12 AM

Reminds me of a saying that I heard.
"Those that control your food, control you".

The US has been reducing farmlands for so long now that a great deal of our supply is imported. 20 years from now will be interesting to see which direction we go as a nation.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to N8RIDER  
Unread
  (#7)
back.

April 24, 2008, 11:30 AM

the gas prices haven't really affected me, i either walk, ride my bicycle or take the metro and been doing more of that lately. i hate driving, and i'm glad the gas prices are going up so maybe it will motivate people on an individual level to make smarter decisions about which car to buy, how to use resources and stop being so wasteful.

i am extremely worried about the widespread ramifications to our economy and industries... we are not equipped to deal with this kind of rapid increase and we (gov, financial institutions) are already stretched so thin, it might get to a point where there won't be anyone to bail us out. so i just hope that change can come more rapidly. ..

as for food? it's all tied together as oil rises and ethanol rises so too does food prices. maybe i should start farming my backyard. ..
but i'm lucky i only have to support myself and i don't eat much so the food thing isn't much of an issue. but when i did go to the grocery store last, the bill was about $50 higher than is used to be for the same items.

but the thing i'm most concerned about is the job market... if people can't keep jobs then we are really SOL.. i'm just getting out of grad school and i have jobs lined up but i'm worried about the possibility of not being able to keep it, then having nothing to pay back student loans with.

on the whole i'm very concerned..

may the force be with you

Unread
  (#8)
Typical Stripper

April 24, 2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.me
That pretty much sums up my position.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
ATTN INVESTORS!

April 24, 2008, 11:50 AM

It's all very concerning and will most likely get worse before it gets better. There are many reasons why we're in this mess and alot of things that people can do to help themselves in these dismal times.

Basically, it's been all cozy here for a long time and it has lulled everyone to sleep. People need to wake up...or the nightmare is only beginning.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rekoniz  
Unread
  (#10)
Banned!

April 24, 2008, 12:00 PM

anyone think maybe the War had a big effect on the situation we are at now?

just throwing it out there...not taking sides.
Unread
  (#11)
Mommy's Little Monster

April 24, 2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude
Don't eat out. Rice. Potatoes. Fresh veggies. Poultry. Tuna. Fruit for dessert and snacks. It ain't pretty, but it's better for you and will save you tons of cash over the long haul.

I think I caught a glimpse of a cnn story on Starbucks tanking. Yeah, your daily double dry extra sweet fizzlenut crapuccino w/ whippets just got cut from the budget.
+1
I completetly agree. I used to buy my lunch at work maybe 3 times a week, for roughly $7. I put a stop to that once I realized how much it was after adding it all up. A planned out trip to the grocery store (getting what you actually need) has helped me tremendously. I always try to plan out lunch the night before, that way if i'm running late in the morning I have no excuse to say 'screw it, i'll buy lunch today'

a cook book has been a good investment too!

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
Unread
  (#12)
Site ADMIN

April 24, 2008, 12:09 PM

I need food to eat, i need gas to make my vehicles go. It sucks that i have to pay more for the same things... it hasnt hit hard at the home front yet.. my job just got a 5 year contract renewal. so im not as concerned as some other folks may be.

am i pissed about it. yep!

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#13)
No! You!

April 24, 2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.me
the gas prices haven't really affected me, i either walk, ride my bicycle or take the metro and been doing more of that lately. i hate driving, and i'm glad the gas prices are going up so maybe it will motivate people on an individual level to make smarter decisions about which car to buy, how to use resources and stop being so wasteful.............

+1

I've always been somewhat thrifty... no starbucks (I really don't like it), eat lunch at home, live 3 miles from work, buy things on clearance, use coupons for groceries, and always looking to save or invest money. My downfalls are vacations (which I have not cut back on), eating out (until my stomach couldn't handle the rich foods-lol) and a toy-freak husband.

Overall, my lifestyle hasn't changed much, but I am concerned. This morning on the news I saw the "food shortage" in the US report. Seriously, why?! There is no food shortage in the US, maybe we should just stop throwing away so much food and stop serving family size portions at restaurants.

Miami Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexxx
I slapped him in the forehead for being vulgar (I'm a lady, dammit).
Unread
  (#14)
facebook what is that?

April 24, 2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8nsanta
+1
I completetly agree. I used to buy my lunch at work maybe 3 times a week, for roughly $7. I put a stop to that once I realized how much it was after adding it all up. A planned out trip to the grocery store (getting what you actually need) has helped me tremendously. I always try to plan out lunch the night before, that way if i'm running late in the morning I have no excuse to say 'screw it, i'll buy lunch today'

a cook book has been a good investment too!
I always bring lunch to work as it does save me some $$'s and I only eat out for lunch once a week usually on a Friday. I usually pay around $25 for a full tank of gas on my Corolla now its more like $35+. I really need to start taking my bike to work with gas price's on the rise. Btw "Costco" is my friend.

\O/
/ /
|\ Seattle Mariners
/ |
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to gixxernoob  
Unread
  (#15)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

April 24, 2008, 12:49 PM

The higher gas prices and cost of living in general are painful like a bad pair of shoes. They follow you around all day, and occasionally you can forget how much they hurt, but every now and then (when you NEED that money) they create a blister that hurts enough to make you want to scream... Similarly, it's not like you can do anything WITHOUT your shoes... so you're stuck with it.

I feel like I'm slowly doggy paddling through the economy. I'm getting small raises. I'm saving like there's a LONG tomorrow (my retirement is looking good). But my investments are showing NEGATIVE growth. Considering my years in the workforce, I can't seem to afford many of the things I think I SHOULD be able to afford by now.

All economies wax and wane. I'm waiting for the next waxing!

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.