DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 454
4 members and 450 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle, nootherids, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Former Apple Engineers form new company "NEST" thermostat
Unread
  (#1)
Site ADMIN

Former Apple Engineers form new company "NEST" thermostat - April 16, 2012, 11:20 AM

Former head engineers that brought you the original ipod and iphone have remade the home thermostat with Apple flair.

6 months ago when it first came out, it was sold out and had a waiting list. I didnt want the first release. Firmware 2.0 just came out and i dig the updates.

I dig that it checks the weather outside and makes adjustments. I also really like that it checks the humidity in the room and also makes adjustments.

one of the tag lines from nest is that 90% of people that have programmable thermostats dont program it. This thing learns what you set it to after a few weeks and auto-adjusts. if you arnt home, it cuts off as well.

The boxing and look/feel of this thing has apple all over it, so if you are a fanboi, you can drool over this.

It works with about 90% of all HVAC's out there. On the site there is a compatibility check box to verify. OR you can snap a pic and send it to nest. They were pretty prompt on letting me know about mine.

Nest is being sued by Honeywell for pretty much just to be assholes and squash the little guy. using copyright infringements.. bla bla. Nest hired former apple vp and copyright lawyer and is gonna bust some ass.

Gonna install it today. If anyone is interested in my review, let me know.

The thing reminds me of HAL 9000 from 2001 a space odyssey. You can name your thermostat, so mine will be HAL9k

Control from iphone/ipad/ipod/adroid or web page

Nest | The Learning Thermostat | Home

Decent review/demo:

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#2)
Can't Find the Ditch

April 16, 2012, 11:47 AM

Highly interested! HAL that's perfect! Or what's the girl from resident evil computer?

06 Honda F4I #36-Bought it back!
First Track Day 9/1/09
MARCC Supporter
TPM
Roger Lyle #36

WE STOLE THE EAGLE FROM THE AIR FORCE, THE ANCHOR FROM THE NAVY AND THE ROPE FROM THE ARMY.
ON THE SEVENTH DAY WHILE GOD RESTED, WE OVERRAN HIS PERIMETER, STOLE THE GLOBE AND WE'VE BEEN RUNNING THE WHOLE SHOW EVER SINCE.
  Send a message via AIM to  
?
Unread
  (#3)
"?"

? - April 16, 2012, 11:48 AM

i likes this
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Power One User

April 16, 2012, 11:51 AM

$250

Apple pricing also. Certainly a more intuitive and pretty interface than what's out there now though.

CCS AM #710
Unread
  (#5)
SaS
Sas pronounced Sauce.

April 16, 2012, 11:54 AM

I saw this thing a while back. Looks cool. I would be interested in hearing your review.
Unread
  (#6)
Your Ad Here

April 16, 2012, 12:01 PM

Leave Apple to start a thermostat company? Hmm....
I don't know if I would have jumped on that ship.
Thermostats are very much seen as commodity items.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Last edited by Heist; April 16, 2012 at 01:17 PM..
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Site ADMIN

April 16, 2012, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
$250

Apple pricing also. Certainly a more intuitive and pretty interface than what's out there now though.

when they were sold out, ebay had em for like $500..

yeah its pricey. my hope is to recoup a lot of the $$ after a few years of burning less fuel.

updates over wifi and the firmware updates to improve it appeal to me as well.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

April 16, 2012, 12:46 PM

Seems kinda gimmicky.

The design looks pretty good, but there are many lcd thermostats these days....
Unread
  (#9)
Site ADMIN

April 16, 2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
Seems kinda gimmicky.

The design looks pretty good, but there are many lcd thermostats these days....
does this one automagicly set up the schedule? does it auto-away and not use the compressor while you are gone? does it adjust for humidity?

Does it open the pod pay doors?

how easy is it to do the set points? if you look up the video, setting the temp changes is super easy. most touch screens are still a PIA.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

April 16, 2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
does this one automagicly set up the schedule? does it auto-away and not use the compressor while you are gone? does it adjust for humidity?

Does it open the pod pay doors?

how easy is it to do the set points? if you look up the video, setting the temp changes is super easy. most touch screens are still a PIA.
I don't know, my house still has a cheap old thermostat and I've never found it to be so deficient that I need to replace it.

If I feel hot, I turn up AC. If I feel cold, I turn down AC. If I leave the house, I turn it off.

I'm not a perishable good with 1 degree tolerance that I need to make minute adjustments all day.
Unread
  (#11)
GP Racer

April 16, 2012, 01:27 PM

my friend has this in his house for like 5 months now (apple geek) its impressive the way it monitors the avg temp you keep your house and it keeps the house withing a range of the outside temp. which in va we see go from high to low daily.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to islandboy  
Unread
  (#12)
Site Owner

April 16, 2012, 01:43 PM

The only cool thing about this for me is the app to control it..

I'm home all day so its pretty simple for me. Summer = air conditioning to 74 degrees. Winter = heat to 70 degrees.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#13)
Groping is a skill...

April 16, 2012, 01:47 PM

Lets all stop kidding ourselves. This is a thermostat everyone could make use of. Sure you don't need it but if you have the money why not have it? Because its practical, actually looks good, and easy to control? :wanker:

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#14)
Your Ad Here

April 16, 2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
The only cool thing about this for me is the app to control it..

I'm home all day so its pretty simple for me. Summer = air conditioning to 74 degrees. Winter = heat to 70 degrees.

If you lived in my household growing up, my father would have broken your fingers setting the thermostat to those settings.

Winter = 68

Summer = 77

And if anyone changed it so much as a degree, he would start flicking heads.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#15)
Site Owner

April 16, 2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
If you lived in my household growing up, my father would have broken your fingers setting the thermostat to those settings.

Winter = 68

Summer = 77

And if anyone changed it so much as a degree, he would start flicking heads.
good thing I pay my own bills so I can set it to whatever I damn well please.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper