DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 524
5 members and 519 guests
2blueyam, GRN96WS6, nootherids, Scot, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Richard Cranium

January 7, 2004, 08:10 AM

Alright, I know there are some super computer fixers on this site...so heres the deal......recently my laptop decided to not work....Ill gladly get ya a drink or two (name your brand) for someone who can help fix this damn thing..heres the problem

Its a compaq 1200 running windows ME, shortly after downloading the new Norton system works 2004 to update the systems virus protection and what not it decided to do some funky stuff about 24-30 hours later....the computer will turn on....and you get the "compaq" logo and then the "windows me" logo after that...then when the desktop is suposed to load...the screen just clicks and goes blank.....So far here is what I have done

Restarted the computer in "safe mode" and the desk top will load.
Tried a system restore, however the system will NOT restore for some reason.
Attempted to uninstall the norton program, however it says I need to be in "normal" mode to do that....

well any help would be great.....would have to have to shoot a perfectly good computer if its an easy fix....Thanks.........

05 HEMI WK
09 M109R
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Licensed Rider

January 9, 2004, 04:28 PM

try formatting the hard drive, then run the restore cd...
Unread
  (#3)
Richard Cranium

January 9, 2004, 04:48 PM

only problem is...while under safe mode, dosnt reconize the cd drive...and while under safe mode, its not letting me create a new startup disk lol..im screwed

05 HEMI WK
09 M109R
Unread
  (#4)
Licensed Rider

January 9, 2004, 04:57 PM

Your problem is Windows ME (a glorified 98 ), it sux. I had it at one time and upgraded to XP Pro, love it. It would be a hard fix if you can't get onto it in normal mode and Norton can be tricky to remove completely....I've had to go into the registry in the past to remove it completely. Lizzerd said something about formatting the hard drive then restoring....I wouldn't try that until eveyrthing has been exhausted. Try popping in the factory restore disk, it usually is bootable and includes repair options, not sure if that's what you did when you said you tried to restore it, XP has a restore funtion built in, didn't know ME did, but certain PCs like Gateway has a restore option built in regardless of OS, but I have found that to be reliable.
Unread
  (#5)
Licensed Rider

January 12, 2004, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBlade
Your problem is Windows ME (a glorified 98 ), it sux. I had it at one time and upgraded to XP Pro, love it. It would be a hard fix if you can't get onto it in normal mode and Norton can be tricky to remove completely....I've had to go into the registry in the past to remove it completely. Lizzerd said something about formatting the hard drive then restoring....I wouldn't try that until eveyrthing has been exhausted. Try popping in the factory restore disk, it usually is bootable and includes repair options, not sure if that's what you did when you said you tried to restore it, XP has a restore funtion built in, didn't know ME did, but certain PCs like Gateway has a restore option built in regardless of OS, but I have found that to be reliable.
Sounds like most of his options have been exhausted.
Unread
  (#6)
Richard Cranium

January 12, 2004, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzerd
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBlade
Sounds like most of his options have been exhausted.
who wants to join me and shoot the damn thing with me 12 gauge

05 HEMI WK
09 M109R
Unread
  (#7)
Richard Cranium

January 18, 2004, 02:08 PM

Good news...didnt have to drop the computer off a 15 story building....guy at work deleted everything.....updated to XP, and now shes golden again!!! thanks for the help!!

05 HEMI WK
09 M109R
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

January 18, 2004, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportbike2
THis time get XP or Linux
Or get a Mac.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ThrustinJZX6  
Unread
  (#9)
Licensed Rider

January 21, 2004, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsol95
Good news...didnt have to drop the computer off a 15 story building....guy at work deleted everything.....updated to XP, and now shes golden again!!! thanks for the help!!
Since I was the first to hint upgrading to XP do I get the beer?
Unread
  (#10)
Richard Cranium

January 21, 2004, 04:38 PM

sure thing its in the mail!!

05 HEMI WK
09 M109R