DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 503
1 members and 502 guests
fxc3700
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
The frustrations of an ‘off’ day
Unread
  (#1)
Too Fat To Be Fast

The frustrations of an ‘off’ day - April 12, 2007, 11:31 AM

Not all days can be good riding days. I know this from personal experience and fully understand the frustration that can come from them. You want to be out their riding but something’s not clicking, things aren’t coming together. Sometimes their’s no reason for it and no matter how hard you try you’re off your game. Other times you find yourself doing something you’ve never done before and it feels like a bad habit you can’t stop so you focus on that instead of what you should be doing. After riding for several years can I understand what needs to be done when it happens.

Now ask a 5 year old to understand it.

PK (my son) wanted to ride so we got his gear on and the bike ready to roll. One of the things I’ve been working on with him is keeping the bike upright when stopped. Since he’s still a bit short in the leg to flat foot he’s learning to balance the bike while wedged off to the side. I know the importance of this lesson but PK can be a little impatient when he just wants to ride. Still, we work through what he needs to do which is followed by an immediate “can I go now”… grrrrrr

To get to our back yard you have an option of going either side of a large bush type thing that runs parallel with the side of the house and the neighbors’ fence. Well, not exactly parallel. It’s off kilter a bit and near the front of the house the opening is narrower on the right than the left but the exit at the other end is narrower on the left than the right. I had asked Presley during his last ride not to go on the fence side since it’s a bit harder to navigate than the house side. Of course he has forgotten this and heads toward the fence side. I should have kept my mouth shut but I was having an off day due to other things. Just as he’s coming up on the bush I can see where he’s going and yell out not to go that way. This just ends him up in the bush and on his side… Way to go dad.

OK, back up and on his way (at least I think he’ll always go to the back yard the right way now). PK does a couple of circles out in the back yard but something doesn’t seem right with the bike. I can hear PK rev the motor but he’s not going any faster, then it’ll take off. I think I even saw a small wheelie come of this once! As PK comes around I can see what is happening and get him to come to a stop. His foot is sliding forward and resting on the shifter. On the CRF50 neutral is at the bottom, not between 1st and 2nd like on a conventional motorcycle. He comes to a complete stop and keeps the bike up! I give him some kind words of encouragement for that and he has a big smile on his face. He goes on his way…

His foot is resting on the shift lever again not long after he’s taken off. This time he’s managed to kick it down into and neutral and not just momentarily slipping it out of gear. He’s slowing down… He’s stopping… He’s on his side.

He’s not frustrated at the problem he’s having while riding but the fact the he wasn’t able to keep the bike up. I help get him up and back on the bike. While his frustration is on the balance of the bike I’m trying to get him to pay attention to his foot location so he can keep on riding. This sounds like an easy thing to do but with the big MX boots he has on it’s not really an easy thing to feel out. Just as I think I have everything worked out for him I’m hit with “I don’t want to ride anymore”.

He hops off the bike and starts walking to the front of the house (not a short walk). I try to talk him into at least riding to the front but his frustrations have the better of him. After about 5 minutes of trying to get him back on the bike we agree to ride back together and call it a day.

Total riding time was less than it took to read this entry!

When you’re dealing with frustrations riding isn’t fun. For some reason a young rider will easily just walk away from it while an older one will try and work through it hoping for something more when it usually ends up as an exercise in futility. I can only hope knowing that helps me teach PK what he needs to know without pushing him too hard. Trying to get him to ride more after the events of that day would have been trying on both PK and me, a frustration neither one of us needs.

Cheers,
Bern
13 Ducati 1199
06 Ducati PS1000LE
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to BurnCycle  
Unread
  (#2)
opossum puncher

April 12, 2007, 11:46 AM

Good read.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#3)
1 of DA PAK FOUNDERS!!

April 12, 2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rfool
Good read.
+1

R1 , 2001
Gixxer 2005
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Chico Send a message via AIM to Chico  
Unread
  (#4)
Still here

April 12, 2007, 12:07 PM

Great story Go PK!

02 1100 VStar

I've got a bike and I ride it year round. Nuff said

.Net - Those that care, post.
Those that don't care, seem to post too.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to vstargidget Send a message via AIM to vstargidget  
Unread
  (#5)
The last urrbendah

April 12, 2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnCycle
Now ask a 5 year old to understand it.[/IMG]
"Son we all have bad days, some worse than others, but look at it like this. You woke up this morning and you weren't Scot. That is a blessing all its own."

Good read Bernie!

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Ling Long

April 12, 2007, 12:10 PM

Great read!

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#7)
Too Fat To Be Fast

April 12, 2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie
"Son we all have bad days, some worse than others, but look at it like this. You woke up this morning and you weren't Scot. That is a blessing all its own."
IDLWTTIG...

Cheers,
Bern
13 Ducati 1199
06 Ducati PS1000LE
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to BurnCycle