DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 520
3 members and 517 guests
GRN96WS6, Sal_the_man, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
The future of tablets and PCs?
Unread
  (#1)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

The future of tablets and PCs? - March 19, 2012, 07:33 AM

The Samsung Series 7 Slate.

Key Specifications
  • 11.6-inch Superbright Plus display with 1366 x 768 resolution for native HD 720p viewing (400 nit brightness)
  • 1.6 GHz Intel Core i5-2467M dual-core processor (2.3 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology; 3 MB L3 cache)
  • 128 GB solid-state drive (SSD) delivers quicker boot-ups, faster application launches and overall enhanced performance
  • 4 GB of installed DDR3 RAM (maximum)
  • Intel HD Graphics 3000 for casual and mainstream gaming (supports Microsoft DirectX 10).
  • 2-megapixel front webcam
  • 3-megapixel rear webcam
  • Built-in stereo speakers (3 watts total; 1.5W x 2)
  • Up to 7 hours of battery life
  • Dimensions and Weight: 11.66 x 7.24 x 0.51 inches (WxDxH); 2.04 pounds

Wireless & Networking
  • Wireless-N Wi-Fi (802.11b/g/n) for ultra-fast connectivity to home and business networks (requires Wireless-N router to optimize speed and range).
  • Intel Wireless Display capabilities enables you to wirelessly stream videos, photos and music from your hard drive, home network, or the internet straight to your HDTV.
  • Next-generation Bluetooth 3.0 connectivity provides faster throughput while minimizing on power requirements. It's compatible with new Bluetooth 3.0-enabled devices as well as backward compatible with older Bluetooth-enabled peripherals such as printers and cell phones.
  • Gigabit Ethernet (10/100/1000)

Connectivity & Expansion
  • One USB 2.0 ports
  • U-HDMI port for connecting to a compatible HDTV or home theater receiver for uncompressed digital audio and video via a single cable.
  • MicroSD memory card slot
  • Docking station connector

You can't seem to find them anywhere locally (sold out or they only carry online) and even some online distributors are lacking in inventory. I was able to find a BNIB unit being sold through craigslist with the dock and keyboard for a few hundred under retail.

First impressions...I felt like I was holding a Samsung Galaxy Tab in my hands, mind you it would be equivalent to an 11" Tab but it felt just as thin and carried the same sleek look front/back. After turning it on I noticed that it was fast, equally as fast as my macbook air (circa 2011) functionality through Windows was smooth, simple, and familiar.

A few things I don't care for...the cameras are sub-par (not surprised when seeing what Apples mobile cameras are capable of), there's no storage for the pen on the slate itself, and the Windows 7 tablet features feel a little rough around the edges at times.

With Windows 2008 on the edge of release I think slates will be a no-brainer, the OS is built for this kind of use and even though I failed to understand Microsofts logic behind the new software when run on a desktop/laptop I can now see how it will certainly benefit someone when ran on a slate/touchscreen.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Slates take over as the primary PC, with the simple portability and docking features the only reason you would need something else would be if your software required more processing/graphics power.

-Ryan
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Mojito Anyone?

March 19, 2012, 07:46 AM

pretty slick

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#3)
Your Ad Here

March 19, 2012, 07:50 AM

Last year I tried my friends IPad 2. He bought a screen cover for it that when removed substituted as a stand, but also had an integrated Bluetooth keyboard.
After 10 minutes, outside of the fact that I needed to swipe the screen and hit the home button, it felt remarkably similar to a laptop experience which got me thinking, tablets if beefed up internally with more storage and connection flexibility for peripherals could indeed be a light to medium power laptop replacement.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

March 19, 2012, 07:55 AM

Agreed. I think it will only be a matter of year(s) before slates are leaps and bounds better than what they are now, with graphics being the largest bottleneck followed by battery life.

Also, now that Apple has helped start a 'standard' in tablet resolution we can hope to see higher res displays pop up almost immediately.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#5)
Site Owner

March 19, 2012, 10:23 AM

No way tablets will ever replace desktops...

At least for power users who use their desktop for more than facebook and gmail.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#6)
Derpetologist

March 19, 2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper

At least for power users who use their desktop for more than facebook and gmail.
+1

*Not intended to be a factual statement.
Unread
  (#7)
The last urrbendah

March 19, 2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post

What do you mean I can't launch Photoshop on this tablet. I'll do it righ

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#8)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

March 19, 2012, 10:32 AM

Quote:

I agree to a degree, I'd say a good chunk of process/graphics intensive tasks could be ran from this slate with the caveat either being a slim amount of programs that couldn't run on it or just taking a long time to process.

The processor is the same one in the 11" MBA, so really, anything the MBA can do this can do.

For a college student or basic user that travels/uses a laptop I could see this being a replacement for them.

With Ivy-Bridge CPU's around the corner we're slowly getting faster processors requiring less power, the future of a tablet/slate could easily approach power-user performance in the next few years. More so, if they incorporate a switched graphics solution like they use in some laptops now you could see the graphics bottleneck get resolved even faster.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#9)
Your Ad Here

March 19, 2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:

Like I said, for light and medium users - a tablet based machine will suffice.
Power users, no.
But slice and segment the market and how many laptop users are actually power users?
Such is the reason why the Sub-$600 price point category became a vicious battleground and netbooks exploded in the mid-2000's.

Everybody wants a MacBook Pro or Dell XPS, but you would find that this is a small share of overall sales and an even smaller percentage of end-users are using the machines to their potential. They simply wanted to know they had the biggest, best, fastest although it was overkill for their needs.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#10)
Your Ad Here

March 19, 2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
What do you mean I can't launch Photoshop on this tablet. I'll do it righ
Actually, you can. Just use the PS Portable version.

Adobe Photoshop CS CS2 CS3 CS4 CS5 Portable | 355.24 MB

Adobe Photoshop is a graphics editing program developed and published by Adobe Systems Incorporated.

System Requirements
Windows
* 1.5GHz or faster processor
* Microsoft® Windows® All versions XP/Vista/7
* 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
* 1GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on flash-based storage devices)
* Some GPU-accelerated features require graphics support for Shader Model 3.0 and OpenGL 2.0
* QuickTime 7.2 software required for multimedia features
* Broadband Internet connection required for online services

Unread
  (#11)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

March 19, 2012, 11:39 AM

After thinking about it, what non-graphic intensive applications would one think this slate couldn't run, something that you might use on a regular basis?

I know it can run Photoshop, Lightroom, and even Pinacle HD.

The only disadvantage compared to my desktop (5ghz 2500k) would be the amount of time it takes to compile something.

Obviously gaming will take a huge hit but that's a given right now.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#12)
I'm a llama again!

March 19, 2012, 11:46 AM

When will they come out with a Slate that is a ARM device?
Unread
  (#13)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

March 19, 2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
When will they come out with a Slate that is a ARM device?
Wouldn't that be considered today's tablet? Like the Transformer Prime for example?

I know that MS will be offering a Windows 8 'ARM' version soon.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#14)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

March 19, 2012, 01:48 PM

Software vendors constantly increase system requirements.

The arguments in this thread, for and against, have been around for a long time. And pc's are still around.

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#15)
konichiwa bitches

Location: Over to the left, up a little more....right there!!....FFX
March 19, 2012, 02:27 PM

Well it has already been said....the tablets will be great for most regular users. Power users are not going to go the Tablet route. The concept of a tablet that would allow me to do video editing or 3D design and animation is cool in the abstract but I need more processing power and screen real estate than is going to be packed into a tablet.

That said.....the next time my wife upgrades her computer I am going to be pushing her in the tablet direction. She literally uses her laptop to check email, surf the web, do word processing stuff and keep/organize her music and movies. All that could easily be done on a tablet and cover her biggest complaint about the small laptop she has now...."I wish it were lighter and a bit smaller so I could carry it easier!!!".

~L~

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

"I'm pretty sure God would consider it a sin not to glorify that ass."

http://www.mrsimcard.com/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lqdgrphcs Send a message via AIM to lqdgrphcs