DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 561
1 members and 560 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
The future of traffic ticketing
Unread
  (#1)
Ling Long

The future of traffic ticketing - November 5, 2007, 07:34 AM

New York State started a pilot program upstate north of Albany on the Northway to catch speeders using the Easy Pass system. Recording devices were installed at intervals along the highway. Once an Easy Pass equipped vehicle passes, the device registers the account number and the time. Same is again registered at the next "check-point". Based upon the distance between the register points and the posted speed limit, the state is sending speeding tickets in the mail to the guilty persons.

Because every driver does not have Easy Pass, the State is "perplexed" as what to do to impose the system state-wide. The solution has been found. Soon all new vehicle registration stickers will have a metal strip or chip imbedded in same. This will take the place of the Easy Pass system as stated above. When a vehicle passes the registering device, the strip will relay all the information.

This is not fictional. New York State contracted with VERIZON to install the system. The system has already been installed and the entire Bronx River Parkway in Westchester County has been "wired" for when the new system begins. Once the State makes the new program public and advises all motorists of the potential for numerous speeding tickets, it will also reveal that the system has already been installed.

Another reason that will be given for the new system is to enable the authorities to track stolen vehicles, to trace kidnap victims, to monitor and trace suspected criminals and terrorists, etc.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#2)
Lucky to be alive.

November 5, 2007, 07:48 AM

Thats one of the reasons I avoided using those transponders out of state, I knew some states had this in place. The concept of state registration stickers scares me.

Have a link to the article?

Travis
1995 YZF 600 R
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ProDarwin  
Unread
  (#3)
Ling Long

November 5, 2007, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDarwin
Thats one of the reasons I avoided using those transponders out of state, I knew some states had this in place. The concept of state registration stickers scares me.

Have a link to the article?
Sorry, don't.
It was emailed around the office... no link, just the article

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#4)
Face Down @$$ UP

November 5, 2007, 08:35 AM

Actually most toll fac. police, have something already set in place. A watched or "tagged" vehicle can be timed or monitored by that dept. in between tolls. Takes a certain amount of time to get between tolls, any time that is shorten or takes less, you can be charged with speeding, or reckless endangerment. Was pulled over last year right before De. mem. bridge. Officer stated that I was being monitored by a previous toll, and it was called ahead to officers at the next one. After showing my ID, and my badge, he let me go. Just a warning to all.... IT doesnt have to be a easy-pass that catchs you.

"If brains were gas. You wouldnt have enough gas, to drive a piss-ants' motorcycle, half-way around a BB."
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to WvGoDFather Send a message via MSN to WvGoDFather  
Unread
  (#5)
Ling Long

November 5, 2007, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WvGoDFather
Actually most toll fac. police, have something already set in place. A watched or "tagged" vehicle can be timed or monitored by that dept. in between tolls. Takes a certain amount of time to get between tolls, any time that is shorten or takes less, you can be charged with speeding, or reckless endangerment. Was pulled over last year right before De. mem. bridge. Officer stated that I was being monitored by a previous toll, and it was called ahead to officers at the next one. After showing my ID, and my badge, he let me go. Just a warning to all.... IT doesnt have to be a easy-pass that catchs you.
I think a big part of the point of what NY is doing is focused at all roads, not just toll roads.

I also think it will be an automated system, so human leniance like this wouldn't exist.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
Unread
  (#6)
Face Down @$$ UP

November 5, 2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoMatt
I also think it will be an automated system, so human leniance like this wouldn't exist.
Good point. But as you know, someone or something will attempt to beat the system. People trying to beat the Easy-Pass system all of the time, so why not come up with some type of block or counter to that.

Just another way to make money, and keep insurance rates up.

"If brains were gas. You wouldnt have enough gas, to drive a piss-ants' motorcycle, half-way around a BB."
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to WvGoDFather Send a message via MSN to WvGoDFather  
Unread
  (#7)
No bike, jus here 4 drama

November 5, 2007, 08:57 AM

that is some bullshit.. I'm moving to Montana.

"Spin"
Blue '07 R1 (CRASHED RIP)
Sponsored by Winchester Orthopedics

Not responsible if anything I say causes you to kill yourself.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
Lucky to be alive.

November 5, 2007, 08:57 AM

The issue with beating a system like the one NY currently has if implemented on the toll road is... you're stuck paying the tolls with cash, which not many people want to do. On other roads it wont be much of an issue.

If they go with registration stickers, its probably going to be easier to beat.

Travis
1995 YZF 600 R
Unread
  (#9)
GP Racer

November 5, 2007, 09:09 AM

it's pathetically easy to shield such a device. it won't be a week before people figure out how to beat the registration sticker rfid tag. once again, using complicated and unreliable technology to catch things as common as speeding just doesn't work. target an activity 90% of the population does and you now have an unlimited amount of minds at work to figure out how to stop it. the state doesn't have the resources to stay on the front of that curve.

'02 SV-650S track bike (for sale, but in Shreveport, LA)
'05 Yamaha TTR-125L
'94 Dodge Viper RT/10
other boring stuff
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to mangle  
Unread
  (#10)
Lucky to be alive.

November 5, 2007, 09:31 AM

I'd think it would be hard to shield it when it has to be on display in your windshield...

Travis
1995 YZF 600 R
Unread
  (#11)
Full spin ahead.

November 5, 2007, 09:33 AM

I remember this rumor back in New England, but the DOT stated that it was illegal for the EZ-Pass information to be shared with the state police. There was an actual RSA for that assessment as well.

I don't have any info on this particular warning, but it hasn't materialized the the past few years that these have been going around. Maybe NY lacks law prohibiting it, or they found away around it. Of course, this doesn't prevent them from manually 'watching' your vehicle between toll plazas, but I don't think the EZ-Pass tag is going to crush your game.

BTW, I love how it says that this is also 'to monitor suspected criminals and terrorists'. That makes me feel warm.

Last edited by scarab; November 5, 2007 at 09:35 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to scarab  
Unread
  (#12)
Ling Long

November 5, 2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
I'd think it would be hard to shield it when it has to be on display in your windshield...
Not really.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
Unread
  (#13)
Typical Stripper

November 5, 2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Couldnt you put some sort of electro magnetic device behind it?

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#14)
coooooookie

November 5, 2007, 09:34 AM

Glad I don't live in NY anymore! That shouldn't be bad to shield as Mangle pointed out. I never had a problem using my easy pass from Syracuse to Buffalo, even if I was making good time.

I did get put on probation by EZ-pass for going too fast thru a toll booth. I was doing 24mph in a 5mph. In NY the tolls don't register as fast so you really do have to roll thru them much slower then VA.

John
'07 ZX-6R
NESBA #10
Sportbiketracktime #10

JEMM Auto detailing
Cars, Bikes, RV's, Trailers, bathtubs. If you pay me I will buff it.
Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

November 5, 2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangle
it's pathetically easy to shield such a device. it won't be a week before people figure out how to beat the registration sticker rfid tag. once again, using complicated and unreliable technology to catch things as common as speeding just doesn't work. target an activity 90% of the population does and you now have an unlimited amount of minds at work to figure out how to stop it. the state doesn't have the resources to stay on the front of that curve.
It won't be as easy to beat as you think. If your RFID doesn't register, they will either give you a ticket for not having a registration sticker properly posted on your plate, or give you a fixit ticket so you do get a replacement asap and they will have a record of you messing with it. (so if they catch you again with 'broken' rfid they will know what's going on.)

Also, they have been doing this on French toll roads for a long time now.