DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 559
2 members and 557 guests
davidcycle, legendindisguise
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
FYI, Car Insurance follows car not person
Unread
  (#1)
Site ADMIN

FYI, Car Insurance follows car not person - June 9, 2008, 03:13 PM

Just in case you didnt know, I was under the impression that if you borrowed someones car, YOUR insurance would pay for an accident caused by you.
This does not appy to rental car's obviously.
Example:
My wife was driving her car on a back road in near our house on saturday. A lady backed out of her driveway w/out looking. My wife caught the lady coming out the corner of her eye and hit the gas. The lady's rear bumper scraped the passenger side rear bumper of our 330i. It goudged it pretty good, and possibly scraped the metal quarter panel where the bumper meets the metal.
The driver, as did I, thought that Her insurance would cover the damage. However since the driver was driving a friends car, who was in the passenger seat, this is not the case. Insurance follows the car, NOT the driver.
Therefore we have to put a claim on the drivers car insurance. She was nice enough, so she asked if we would get an estimate first. She wants to pay out of pocket if she can afford it rather than putting the claim on her friends insurance.
Since it is a BMW, i doubt even just replacing the bumper is going to be inexpensive.
Just a heads up if you are mistaken like I was. This is for all insurance companies as far as I can tell. I have state farm, and this is true. The drivers ins was Travelers, and this is true for them as well.

Oh and another side note, couple other things to make sure everyone knows.
When getting into an accident, all of the Below info should be gathered. Regardless if it is major or minor.
Drivers info:
Name, phone numbers, address
Insurance, ins ph # and policy number
Car owners info: (if different than driver)
Name, phone numbers, address
Insurance, ins ph #, and policy number
Info about all cars involved:
Vehicle make, color, body style
License plate
VINshould be easily seen through front window on drivers side, or door wells)

Shared mistakes dont let them happen again.
Cheers

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#2)
#swag

June 9, 2008, 03:17 PM

I could have told you this.. My family was sued years ago when my sister let her ex bf drive her car and totalled it with a passanger in the car(my sister was in school). Passanger came after our family for damages. Live and learn.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Nick  
Unread
  (#3)
Owner & Creator

June 9, 2008, 03:20 PM

I put my GF under my M's insurance, only cost $8.00 more per month
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Site ADMIN

June 9, 2008, 03:57 PM

cool, im glad more people know. The lady is nice and very sorry about it. not a big deal.

but im never loaning out my vehicle or borrowing one again....

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#5)
Owner & Creator

June 9, 2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud
cool, im glad more people know. The lady is nice and very sorry about it. not a big deal.

but im never loaning out my vehicle or borrowing one again....
I think some companies have a insurance where it will cover everyone under your car. I know my gf has state farm and she has some top premium stuff, doesn't matter who drives it, but they will be insured.
Unread
  (#6)
PewPew

June 9, 2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage
I think some companies have a insurance where it will cover everyone under your car. I know my gf has state farm and she has some top premium stuff, doesn't matter who drives it, but they will be insured.
Same, my insurance covers licensed drivers as long as they do not "regularly drive" the vehicle. So allowing my girl or a friend to borrow the car insures them should anything happen. I have Allstate for my car, progressive for my motorcycles. Progressive - for the bikes anyway - requires you to list additional riders for them to be insured.

R.I.P. Eric "TheIrishGuy"

"Will you carry me down the aisle that final day
With your tears and cold hands shaking from the weight
When you lower me down beneath that sky of gray
Let the rain fall down and wash away your pain"

Last edited by NoVaGhost; June 9, 2008 at 04:14 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to NoVaGhost  
Unread
  (#7)
Site ADMIN

June 9, 2008, 04:22 PM

good to know. if anything, hopefully this thread will get people to take a good look at their insurance policies..

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#8)
Meh

June 9, 2008, 04:26 PM

I have USAA, they cover the car and any family members that might drive it.

They also cover my rental cars.