DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 296
5 members and 291 guests
davidcycle, nootherids, Sal_the_man, Scot, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Garage Overhaul
Unread
  (#1)
AMA Superbike Champ

Garage Overhaul - April 24, 2016, 04:18 PM

I'm looking to paint my garage and add a tv; not sure about messing with the flooring. Thing is, I've never painted anything; not a bathroom, not a closet, nothing. I figure a garage is hard to screw up but I'd still like to do a decent job; gotta have a respectable man cave . So, a couple of questions:

What tips for painting? Sprayer or roller? Edges? Kind of paint? Other? (yes I'll look at YouTube but betting this place has good info too)

Anyone have experience with DirecTV's wireless genie? Hoping garage isn't too much of a barrier.

All input is appreciated; thanks in advance.

05 CBR600RR
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Your Ad Here

April 24, 2016, 06:35 PM

The key to laying good paint is prep, prep, and more prep.
Painting is only 35% of the total job.
Garages are tough at the start because of all the accumulated dust, dirt and sediment.
Plan to spend a good two days cleaning that space out, then do your initial surface prep (putty, nail hole filing, sanding) - also a good time to blow some insulation behind the walls if you want - then blower and sweep that place out. Let settle overnight, a second wipe down and sweep out the next day.

For a large, "B" surface, non-living space a sprayer is fine and will really cut down on the amount of time and slop.

For the paint, you want any line that highlights high durability and easy cleanup. This is usually going to lead you down the road of a urethane enamel based paint or something with a high silicone additive.

Look for a low VOC primer. Mask off with green tape (I like it better than the blue. Line is crisper) and plastic.

*Check to make sure the primer is compatible with the paint. Some paints will not want you to use a water based primer.

Don't forget a small mask and maybe a box fan to circulate some air since you'll probably be hitting the wall with all doors and windows shut.

If you want to cut-in to get the corners really tight, make sure to spend money on good brushes! The less expensive ones make flowing the line of the paint as you push it into the seam a chore.

I've actually become a fan of those plastic 90° painters tools with foam sponges. Takes a skilled, steady patient hand to cut-in freehand and is rather not futz with it on larger surfaces. A bathroom or kitchen, no problem. A garage is too much real estate.

All I have to offer for now. Best of luck.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

April 25, 2016, 09:08 AM

We're moving to Aldie this week and I'm happy to help paint once we get settled.

I painted the garage at our townhouse, nothing special, just rolled white gloss paint.

I recommend eggshell or gloss, it makes cleaning up marks possible.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#4)
Your Ad Here

April 25, 2016, 11:35 AM

^^^Agree. Unless your end plan is a garage that's more vehicle showcase or man cave than functional garage, I recommend not using Flat or Satin finish paint. Semi-Gloss and Gloss finish will be you're friends. Or, if you want to be fancy, you can do high glosses from the belt line down - then a second accent color up from this in something with a lower sheen.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#5)
AMA Superbike Champ

April 25, 2016, 04:42 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input and the offer; will follow up once I nail down my game plan; have a feeling it's going to be pretty ambitious; will rock if doesn't get screwed up.

05 CBR600RR
Unread
  (#6)
Your Ad Here

April 25, 2016, 09:20 PM

The thing about paint is that there really isn't a way to truly screw up.
If you do, lay primer and paint it over again. You're out $300 in paint and a day's time.

Unread
  (#7)
konichiwa bitches

Location: Over to the left, up a little more....right there!!....FFX
April 26, 2016, 02:01 PM

Not much to add beyond what has been said. Just remember, if you try to get tricky with any kind of lines or lettering remove tape while the paint is still a little wet so you get a nice clean line.

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

"I'm pretty sure God would consider it a sin not to glorify that ass."

http://www.mrsimcard.com/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lqdgrphcs Send a message via AIM to lqdgrphcs  
Unread
  (#8)
I use my turn signal

May 1, 2016, 11:46 PM

I'm in the process of buying my first home. Townhouse in Adlie in the neighborhood across from John Champe high school.

I am doing the garage floor with rustoleum epoxyshield. Here's my post here about that- New garage floor

I also plan on eventually painting the walls and ceilings. The biggest thing for either is the prep work. Below is a good website going over what's needed before primer/paint on bare garage drywalls. They are also a local Loudoun company.

Drywall Finishes and Garage Painting - Five Star Painting Loudoun

If it is bare drywall you are going to want to primer. It will make the finish more even, and bare drywall will suck up tons of paint, making you have to do several coats. Primer is way cheaper to lay down a good base. Then 2 coats should be good. If you are doing white, do a white primer. I would also recommend a Semi-gloss. Satin will marr easily.

2005 Kawasaki ZX6R (636)
1973 Honda CB350F
1981 BMW R65
Unread
  (#9)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

May 2, 2016, 08:11 AM

You'll be in the same neighborhood as my wife and I!

Great place.

I'll be happy when I can bring all my belongings inside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1163.jpg (502.3 KB, 44 views)

-Ryan

Last edited by Dark; May 2, 2016 at 08:14 AM..
Unread
  (#10)
I'm a llama again!

May 2, 2016, 09:14 AM

When we bought our new house. Fist thing I did was park all the motorcycles in the house so that I could get the floor done. My wife was ok ish about it. Was just funny walking into a brand new home and the first thing you see on the new carpets is plywood and 5 motorcycles.

Yeah I am old enough to know better. Thing is, I just don't care.
Unread
  (#11)
yuu
Whitty comment

May 2, 2016, 12:28 PM

For flooring - I'll recommend Race Deck.

Looks good, takes a beating... But more importantly can be done with no prep beyond a good sweep/ shop-vac'ing of the floor. And can be laid out in segments with not need to worry about dry times or cure times.

So when I did it - I moved stuff to one end, laid at the other. Shove shove slide slide and lay out the other end.

- Throttle's on the right. So are the brakes. Good luck.
Unread
  (#12)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

May 2, 2016, 01:35 PM

I have the racedeck (costco version) at my townhouse and while I like it there are some things that I don't care for--

Heat expansion (make sure you have a decent gap)
Clacking sound when you walk on it
Impressions from heavy impacts or jacking up a vehicle

I would consider buying it again if the price was right but would've preferred a pro-installed epoxy.

-Ryan

Last edited by Dark; May 2, 2016 at 01:37 PM..
Unread
  (#13)
I use my turn signal

May 2, 2016, 04:01 PM

Does a lot of crap get stuck in between the cracks? A big concern for me would be salt and sand getting all in there in the winter time.

2005 Kawasaki ZX6R (636)
1973 Honda CB350F
1981 BMW R65
Unread
  (#14)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

May 2, 2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pDubs View Post
Does a lot of crap get stuck in between the cracks? A big concern for me would be salt and sand getting all in there in the winter time.
Yup. They are channeled underneath for drainage so you can rinse them down (if your garage is properly sloped).

-Ryan
Unread
  (#15)
Yo quiero Trackday!

May 3, 2016, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
I have the racedeck (costco version) at my townhouse and while I like it there are some things that I don't care for--

Heat expansion (make sure you have a decent gap)
Clacking sound when you walk on it
Impressions from heavy impacts or jacking up a vehicle

I would consider buying it again if the price was right but would've preferred a pro-installed epoxy.

Ohh snap, I like that!

Does it gets slippery when wet or with snow?

Epoxy coating floor sounds good, I am just scared of the "lifting" problems when parking "hot" tires over it.

Last edited by knonfs; May 3, 2016 at 08:34 AM..