DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 418
1 members and 417 guests
2blueyam
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Garmin launches game-changing HD action sports camera - Virb
Unread
  (#1)
Eddie would go ...

Thumbs up Garmin launches game-changing HD action sports camera - Virb - August 21, 2013, 10:09 PM

For those mourning the Countour.....

Garmin Virb action camera

Garmin is jumping into the action camera market with two new offerings dubbed the Virb and Virb Elite, the Kansas City-based maker of global positioning systems announced on Tuesday.

The rugged, weatherproofed cameras are the company’s first true HD cameras, and the more expensive Elite version will come equipped with a suite of unique features born of Wifi and ANT+ connectivity as well as an array of internal sensors.

Both the Virb and Virb Elite models are based off the same structure: a 1080p, HD-quality, digitally image-stabilized video camera with an energy-efficient Chroma color display for control and playback. Both will provide three hours of record time on a single battery charge. The camera body is water resistant, capable of being submerged to three feet for 30 minutes, and is available with a wide variety of mounts, as well as an “industry standard” (read: GoPro) mount adapter for those who already have action camera hardware.

Both Virb models are able to take 16-megapixel still images and include both a burst mode and time-lapse options. The WideVü lens is matched up with digital image stabilization and distortion correction features, helping to minimize camera shake and remove the fisheye look common with many action cameras.

The Virb Elite adds a host of unique connectivity features to the Virb’s solid package, allowing users to take advantage of an impressive ecosystem of apps, head units, internal sensors, and desktop software. The Elite features high-sensitivity GPS, an accelerometer, an altimeter, and both WiFi and ANT+ connectivity.

The location, speed, and elevation data from the GPS and other sensors, as well as data pulled in through the ANT+ protocol from a heart rate monitor or power meter, can be added into videos during the edit process.

WiFi allows users to connect the Elite to a free iOS or Android mobile app, which will provide preview, playback, and remote functionality. Garmin will also provide a desktop software that will allow users to edit footage, including adding the aforementioned sensor data, and share on sites like YouTube, Facebook, and Instagram.

The accelerometer and altimeter sensors provide another handy feature: in Ski Mode, the VIRB Elite is able to recognize the difference between going up and down the mountain, turning on automatically for the way down and off for the way up; a handy feature for any lift-access mountain bikers.

A firmware update to Garmin’s Edge 810 cycling computers will enable it, along with a host of other Garmin GPS units, to act as a remote for the Virb. Users will be able to start and stop recording and take stills using the touch screen on their cycling computer. A standalone accessory remote will be available as well.

Both the Virb and Virb Elite will be widely available in early September. The Virb will retail for $300 and the Virb Elite for $400.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
SRWJTS Media and Safety

August 21, 2013, 10:12 PM

In

'04 F4i - Sold
'12 ZX6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nard Dog
I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ol' days, before you've actually left them

Discord - camelhumps#7702
Unread
  (#3)
Officially Addicted to Posting

August 21, 2013, 10:15 PM

GoPro > *
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to HenryW  
Unread
  (#4)
Your Ad Here

August 21, 2013, 11:28 PM

I've watched GP outlast Flip, Contour, Sony and others. I would rather see a true optics company like Red or Canon get into this industry. Don't think Garmin will fare well. Everything I have seen them try to do that was non-GPS related has fallen on dear ears and been discontinued.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

August 21, 2013, 11:36 PM

GoPro has damned good marketing and is in tons of places. Going to be hard to displace them unless these get into Wally World and they undercut the GP price.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#6)
Eddie would go ...

August 21, 2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
I've watched GP outlast Flip, Contour, Sony and others. I would rather see a true optics company like Red or Canon get into this industry. Don't think Garmin will fare well. Everything I have seen them try to do that was non-GPS related has fallen on dear ears and been discontinued.
Check yourself

1) Sony is as good an optics company as most - that is no guarantee for success

2) Garmin already has a foothold in many of the action markets with their Forerunner series.

3) Garmin knows how to ruggedize equipment and knows how to work the wifi/app angles (unlike Contour, flip etc)

4) They have more marketing spend than the likes of Contour et all ever had

5) Welcome competition, any competition. It will only make your GoPro better and cheaper

I would be surprised if this is a total pos. I would also be surprised if they seriously challenge GoPro but I welcome alternatives and they are well placed to go into the market.

I, for one, am not looking forward to my next GPHero4 Platinum being $899...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#7)
GP Racer

August 22, 2013, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Check yourself

1) Sony is as good an optics company as most - that is no guarantee for success

2) Garmin already has a foothold in many of the action markets with their Forerunner series.

3) Garmin knows how to ruggedize equipment and knows how to work the wifi/app angles (unlike Contour, flip etc)

4) They have more marketing spend than the likes of Contour et all ever had

5) Welcome competition, any competition. It will only make your GoPro better and cheaper

I would be surprised if this is a total pos. I would also be surprised if they seriously challenge GoPro but I welcome alternatives and they are well placed to go into the market.

I, for one, am not looking forward to my next GPHero4 Platinum being $899...
Or for it to have nearly half the issues the GP3 apparently had. No Battery life when hooked up to the wireless remote. Freezing issues, and abrupt recording failures just to mention a few. I did some extensive reading about the new version and didn't find too many people who were happy they got rid of their GP2. All of my search results came back so negative I was actually swayed not to purchase one.

That was just people on the interwebz though. So they probably don't exist.

EDIT : I saw this a couple days ago on uncrate.com and have to say I am happy someone else is in the game. As stated above, makes it more competitive and ultimately the consumer should win because of it.

----------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTorch7 View Post
So in summary you're a little bitch, nobody believes your bitchass about anything, you look like a bitch, you sound like a whiny bitch and you've probably been a bitch for a long time.

All I want to know, how old were you when you realized you were a bitch? or did someone else have to tell you?

The only thing you can Jocky is the keyboard, so why dont you stfu Bitch
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

August 22, 2013, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
This part is true for sure. As someone who has bought, and loved, 4 garmin forerunners my interest was immediately piqued when I saw that they're coming out with a cam.
Unread
  (#9)
Mojito Anyone?

August 22, 2013, 07:47 AM

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#10)
Traction Control

August 22, 2013, 08:04 AM

No rotating lens?

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#11)
SIN MC President

August 22, 2013, 08:29 AM

Virb Action Camera | Garmin

• I like that it's already contained in a secure housing (no fumbling with waterproof cases).
• Three different focal lengths to choose from (GoPro is always on super fish eye).
• I like how there's already a LCD monitor on it too. But im still on the fence on it's position; You have to be standing over it to frame up your shot. I'm partial to standing behind it.
• The stabilization/vibration reduction feature is cool
• The 3 feet water depth/30 minutes range kinda sucks.
• The long housing design kinda sucks. I'm partial to the GP's flat design especially ideal when you want to mount it to your chest.

#22 TOTNAC
STRENGTH IN NUMBERS MC

Last edited by KANEDA; August 22, 2013 at 08:32 AM..
Unread
  (#12)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

August 22, 2013, 09:02 AM

I have had GP and switched to Contour. Still have one brand new and love the ease of turning on/off. GP sucks ass cause you have no idea if it is on or off unless you look right into the lens. I will give Garmin a try when I need a new camera. Hell I have been using Garmin products for about 20 years now.

BTW you really should never mount a camera on your chest. Just think of crashing and falling on it. I would bet you will break your ribs and maybe sternum.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#13)
SIN MC President

August 22, 2013, 09:16 AM

Oh I forgot to mention that the oversized slide record button is genius!

#22 TOTNAC
STRENGTH IN NUMBERS MC

Unread
  (#14)
GP Racer

August 22, 2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANEDA View Post
Oh I forgot to mention that the oversized slide record button is genius!
They just copied Contour.
Unread
  (#15)
Playing in the dirt

August 22, 2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocZ View Post
They just copied Contour.
I'd buy a Gopro if they would just do that.

KTMs and Yamahas