DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 540
2 members and 538 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Gas -vs- Diesel
Unread
  (#1)
Emm Teh

Gas -vs- Diesel - April 19, 2007, 02:00 PM

So I'm going to be on the market for a new vehicle (truck) soon. My wife and I need something large enough for the 2 of us, 2 kids, and 2 dogs (german shepherd and black lab). It's got to be strong/heavy enough to pull a 7x14 enclosed trailer but not so big that the wife can't drive it.

I want something that's going to get good gas mileage. I've been reading a bit about gas vs diesel and wonder what everyone thinks about the subject.

-- Ducati 1198SP
-- 185cc MadAss Commute 'Scoot
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to Michael.Terence Send a message via AIM to Michael.Terence  
Unread
  (#2)
B
It goes to 11.

April 19, 2007, 02:03 PM

F-250 deisel

or

Tacoma 4 door... possibly a Tundra cause of the dogs... probably a Tundra.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#3)
Ling Long

April 19, 2007, 02:06 PM

Gas. While more expensive, you'll probably end up seeing legislation come down in the next few years governing diesel and how "unclean" they burn.

Less Carbon Monoxide, more soot and smog forming pollutants.

U
C
Lots of
Asians

Last edited by YaoMatt; April 19, 2007 at 02:08 PM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

April 19, 2007, 02:21 PM

Quote:
gixrben F-250 deisel

or

Tacoma 4 door... possibly a Tundra cause of the dogs... probably a Tundra
My Tacoma ain't pullin shit it can't even handle an 800 payload and drives like crap. Haven't driven the new Tundra. The old couldn't tow or haul anything either. I know because I bought 9 of them for commercial use.

Quote:
So I'm going to be on the market for a new vehicle (truck) soon. My wife and I need something large enough for the 2 of us, 2 kids, and 2 dogs (german shepherd and black lab). It's got to be strong/heavy enough to pull a 7x14 enclosed trailer but not so big that the wife can't drive it.

I want something that's going to get good gas mileage. I've been reading a bit about gas vs diesel and wonder what everyone thinks about the subject.
How much wieght do you need to pull. Now days you can get away with a half ton and still pull 11K. As of now Chevy is leading on the MPG for full size. I much perfer my Silverado to the Taco. My 5.3l is get about 16mpg on the hwy without towing i get about 19. If the Taco weren't free I would not have it.

If you can find a left over 06 or used diesel you may be better off. All the 07's have the new emissions and cost about 3k more than last year. plus you will have to find Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

April 19, 2007, 02:30 PM

2008 Ford Power Stroke Flame Thrower
Unread
  (#6)
B
It goes to 11.

April 19, 2007, 02:35 PM

I've blown a lot of chevys and fords... then again consumer reports for the last 10 years will say that much more forcefully than I ever could.

The tacoma's I've owned have been nothing less than stellar, I've had much more than 800lbs in the back of my 06 Tacoma TRD with absolutely no issues. The new tundra is said to be a great vehicle.

My Tacoma gets an average of just below 25mpg and I drive it hard. Stick shift.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#7)
I hate Hybrid drivers

April 19, 2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoMatt
Gas. While more expensive, you'll probably end up seeing legislation come down in the next few years governing diesel and how "unclean" they burn.

Less Carbon Monoxide, more soot and smog forming pollutants.
Educate yourself asshat. new technology is making diesels burn much cleaner. Diesels get better gas milage and you can get well over 1,000,000 miles on a diesel engine. Diesel is the future. It can add $10k to the price of a truck but worth it i think. And yes, a diesel motorcycle is in the works in germany, read about it some magazine - Cycle World i think.
Unread
  (#8)
Ling Long

April 19, 2007, 03:01 PM

Diesel is more energy effecient, yes. And releases less greenhouse gasses, yes. And yes, it's come a long way.

But it releases exponentially more smog producing pollutants into the atmosphere... part of the reason your big European cities have "unclean" air.

Plust there's the misnomer that it's less effecient and all aronud dirty here in the states.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#9)
Groundhogs can play dead

April 19, 2007, 03:05 PM

My friend has an F-250 diesel. It gets great gas mileage... he has a lot to say about various Ford motors, though, and how some are great and some are horrible.

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
April 19, 2007, 03:17 PM

A friend of mine has the VW Tuareg thing in oil burner mode. It gets 13 mpg at 130 mph. 32 at 75 mph. I think hes said its rated at 8500 lb. for towing. All out board seats are heated along with lots of other goodies.

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
Unread
  (#11)
old fat and slow

April 19, 2007, 03:28 PM

The 07 diesels do not have to have the ultra low sulfer fuel. Some of the stations do not have it available yet. Per Dodge and Chevy and in writing from Dodge with our new 07 ram 2500 hd we can run whatever we can get until 2010 when the ultra low sulfer is available everywhere. we had an 03 f150 with the 5.4l gas motor in it and the best we ever got was around 16mpg behaving on the highway and 10mpg towing a 7x16 enclosed. i havent towed with the diesel yet and only have about 2500 miles on it sofar and i'm getting about 18 -19 mpg on the highway running hard and 17.5 commuting with it.

to make it easier for your wife to park i'd recomend a short bed. with the 2 dogs and 2 kids get the mega cab dodge. the back seats recline 15 degrees. we opted to get the quad cab and long bed and are very happy with it.

do some homework and shop around the warranties on the diesel trucks varies deastically my mfg. and make sure of what is covered. turbo's, engine, or entire driveline. ours came down to the gmc 2500 hd or the ram 2500 hd. the ram won based on color and price.

MissS:no now!!!

bambam nope you said i have a few hours

MissS: I changed my mind

bambam: see MissS: well, you have a few hours

MissS: I'm a female, allowed to do it
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to bambam  
Unread
  (#12)
Got my Permit

April 19, 2007, 03:30 PM

first things first, figure out how much weight you have to haul. Whatever you do, dont do any of the following. DO NOT: 1. Buy a gas engine dodge. unless you want to get 6-10mpg not even towing. 2. Buy a tacomo. If you need to haul a trailer, forget it. Same goes for the ranger. 3. DO NOT buy a diesel newer than 06. Unless you have money and really dont give a fack. Those engines are ticking time bombs. The government wants better emissions and the big 3 are competing for a small market of loyal truck buyers. They have gone nuts with power increases and reliability has gone out the door because of it.

Sounds like you want a 4 door tundra. Or if you think your going to have some weight in that trailer, go with an f-250 gas or diesel. The diesel will get better mileage just make sure its NOT a 2003 or 2004. If you go with the gasser you can get any year. The 03/04 6.0L ford diesel has had nothing but problems with its tranny and injectors. If you want you can go chevy as well. But from what you have said
1. your wife needs to drive it 2. 7x14 trailer 3. wife, two kids and the dogs. 4. your wife needs to drive it. 5. your wife needs to drive it 6. your wife
get the 4 door tundra. you'll get mileage, enough towing power, room and most wifeys can drive it with no problems.

04 Yamaha R6

"Operational engineer of the directional control apparatus."
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

April 19, 2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrben
I've blown a lot of chevys and fords... then again consumer reports for the last 10 years will say that much more forcefully than I ever could.

The tacoma's I've owned have been nothing less than stellar, I've had much more than 800lbs in the back of my 06 Tacoma TRD with absolutely no issues. The new tundra is said to be a great vehicle.

My Tacoma gets an average of just below 25mpg and I drive it hard. Stick shift.
Yours must be special. Mine is an auto trans V6 I get 18 mpg. You know those big fountains @ lansdown? One of those had my truck riding on the bump stops. I am sure the the TRD suspension is way better than the stock, that mine has.
Unread
  (#14)
I hate Hybrid drivers

April 19, 2007, 03:34 PM

boner material, sorry ladies.

From http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/2007superduty/
"With its massive 570 lbs.-ft. of torque, Super Duty’s available Power Stroke® turbo diesel has more pulling power than any other diesel in a full-size pickup."

Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

April 19, 2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam
The 07 diesels do not have to have the ultra low sulfer fuel. Some of the stations do not have it available yet. Per Dodge and Chevy and in writing from Dodge with our new 07 ram 2500 hd we can run whatever we can get until 2010 when the ultra low sulfer is available everywhere. we had an 03 f150 with the 5.4l gas motor in it and the best we ever got was around 16mpg behaving on the highway and 10mpg towing a 7x16 enclosed. i havent towed with the diesel yet and only have about 2500 miles on it sofar and i'm getting about 18 -19 mpg on the highway running hard and 17.5 commuting with it.

to make it easier for your wife to park i'd recomend a short bed. with the 2 dogs and 2 kids get the mega cab dodge. the back seats recline 15 degrees. we opted to get the quad cab and long bed and are very happy with it.

do some homework and shop around the warranties on the diesel trucks varies deastically my mfg. and make sure of what is covered. turbo's, engine, or entire driveline. ours came down to the gmc 2500 hd or the ram 2500 hd. the ram won based on color and price.
I cannot speak for the Ford but I know the Duramax in new body style requires ULSD. I am pretty sure the 6.4 Power Stroke does. The new 6.7l? Dodge may as well the 5.9 dose not.

We have a 5.4 in the Expedition and it sucks gas.