DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 563
2 members and 561 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Railing!

August 23, 2005, 02:45 PM

I do NOT want to get onto a topic of what service is better than others. So here is the situation:

I have Nextel, and used to love it, used to work just fine. Lately, the service has been going down. Despite having had full bars in my home for 6 months after I moved there, I no longer get ANY service. I have to walk a few blocks down the street to get any. I live in Arlington, so I don't think this should be an issue. It has rarely worked where I am employed (downtown area DC). So it no longer fits my needs since it's spotty service at best where I am 95% of the time. My wife has verizon, and a co-worker has Verizon, and they both work just fine, and also work on the Metro which I use quite frequently. So I want to go to Verizon (thinking maybe Cingular too). The problem is that I am only 16 months into a 24 month contract. So I would have to suck it up for 8 months, or I'd have to pay 200 dollars to move. Is there a way out of this at all?

I also would have to pay Nextel $35 to have my number ported over. Is that even legal with the new FCC requirements? I wouldn't mind paying that if I had to, but $200 gets too steep to pay, even if my phone is useless in 90-95% of the place I spend most of my time.

Worst case, I'll keep it for 8 months, it works great most of the places I ride, and those are the places I would likely need it in an emergency. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or pointers are courses of action I could take.

2005 R6
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JDogg5  
Unread
  (#2)
Happiness Consultant

August 23, 2005, 02:53 PM

is 8 X (whatever your monthly cost is) more then $200?

Im not sure about the $35 either, when I ported my number I don't believe it costed anything because I had fulfilled my contract.

If you find that 8 X your monthly cost is more then $200, then I would just suck it up. As for the porting thing, go to Verizon and ask.

word

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#3)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
August 23, 2005, 02:58 PM

Their is a monthly fee of like 2.00 for the privelage of maybe one day moving your number. I got bent when I first saw it like 18 mos ago.

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Railing!

August 23, 2005, 03:03 PM

Yeah, I saw that, and I called and asked about it, they said it was "infrastructure upgrades that have been completed and they are trying to recouperate costs" which I'd be fine in paying if my service had improved around my house/work.

2005 R6
Unread
  (#5)
TIMMEH!

August 23, 2005, 03:17 PM

I don't know about Nextel, but my Sprint phone used to do the same thing. I took it to a Sprint store and they said they had to "upgrade the software." After they did that, the phone worked great at my house. Maybe your Nextel phone needs the same thing?

Also, if 8 X your Nextel bill is MORE than $200 + 8 X Your Verizon bill, than you should switch (you'd be saving money). If it is not more, than you should hold tight.

Ninja636 says:
yes, dick is fun!
Ninja636 says:
OH WAIT....
Ninja636 says:
MAYBE I SHOULD REPHRASE THAT

LaoTzu: "I'll just let everyone know, Glade sprayed up the azz burns!"

(While Climbing, talking about his chalk bag)
Matt - "I like it around back where it hits me on the butt while I'm climbing. It's like 'Oooooh, what was that?'"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CFIGixx600  
Unread
  (#6)
Railing!

August 23, 2005, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFIGixx600
I don't know about Nextel, but my Sprint phone used to do the same thing. I took it to a Sprint store and they said they had to "upgrade the software." After they did that, the phone worked great at my house. Maybe your Nextel phone needs the same thing?

Also, if 8 X your Nextel bill is MORE than $200 + 8 X Your Verizon bill, than you should switch (you'd be saving money). If it is not more, than you should hold tight.
I went to a nextel outlet and asked what was up and they took my phone "to check the software" and they claimed I was fine. As far as the 200, the difference in plans is about $12 bucks, so over the next 8 months, i'll save 96 buck, so it actually costs me 104. Which is getting close "worth it" so that I can have decent coverage. I'd just like to avoid that if I can help it

2005 R6
Unread
  (#7)
Officially Addicted to Posting

August 23, 2005, 03:51 PM

You can find someone willing to take over the contract. I did that for buddy 2 years ago to see if I like Nextel. I let the contract run out and then bought a service from my company.

GsxRBulldog---NEVER EVER mistake my kindness for Weakness or waste my or my friends time. That would be unwise

G-Dog's total site

There is no trick to it, I just work harder than you.
BANNED from R1-Forum for Bad Attitude on 8/16/2010

'01 GsxR 750----Bike heaven (in a better place)
'01 GsxR 1000---"Bad Ass"....Sold it
'03 GsxR 1000---"G-Note".... Sold it
'04 GsxR 600----"Lil Bastard" Sold to JBoggy
'05 Gsxr 750----"Visitor" Sold back to her Momma
'06 Gsxr 600----"BabyBoy Blue" for Track
'06 GsxR 1000---"GhostFace" for Street

that's GsxrBulldog to you SON!!!
W u l f no P a k va R y d a z
President 2/2010 to 2/2013
: : Power of Purpose : :
remember our fallen friends
•always in our hearts • watching over us•
•#135 Katie•Dragula•#47 Bambam•Vega
www.wulfpakrydaz.com
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to GsxrBulldog Send a message via AIM to GsxrBulldog  
Unread
  (#8)
( * )|( * )

August 23, 2005, 04:26 PM

Do you have any friends with Sprint/Verizon or whoever you plan on switching to? You may want to see if they get service.

I have both Verizon and Nextel and there are plenty of places where my Nextel works and my Verizon DOES NOT. So far I have found that my Nextel is much more reliable than my Verizon so you may want to check out who you're planning on getting before you actually make the switch.

Just my .02

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#9)
DAS BOOT

August 23, 2005, 04:42 PM

Have you reported it to the 800 number?

Wow. Just..................wow.
Unread
  (#10)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
August 23, 2005, 04:55 PM

Some companies have a clause that if you move to an area known not to have coverage you can get out of your contract. Like say Prudoe Bay Alaska

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
Unread
  (#11)
Railing!

August 24, 2005, 07:30 AM

Yes, I've called and reported it to Nextels Service.

Devious...Yeah, I have friends with Verizon at home, and at work, who have service. I have noticed that one of my riding buddies get's spotty service with Verizon on backroads west of the beltway in VA, but I have pretty steady service. He gets better service North of the beltway all the way up into PA where we ride often. For emergencies on the road out in VA, I like Nextel, hands down. Unfortunately, if I'm not on my bike, I'm at home or at work. (90-95% of my average day) I don't have a home phone, my cell phone is it, so it kind of sucks that I can't get or make any calls when I'm at home. I have to walk about 4-5 blocks up the street, then I suddenly get service.

It looks like I'll just suck it up for 8 months, and hope that they get better and I can just stay with them. If it doesn't, I'll start checking other services.

2005 R6
Unread
  (#12)
MSF Student

August 24, 2005, 08:03 PM

https://nextelonline.nextel.com/NASApp/cs/JSP/security/ProductEntry.jsp?TYPE=33554433&REALMOID=06-00043305-30ff-1049-a3fc-80ac0e2a0000&GUID=&SMAUTHREASON=0&METHOD=GET&SMAGE NTNAME=$SM$DlmtGhZoBClJkJ0II1LoVjmsFz2DQzEj6w0KtJr SXnOhPsEGrL3ASA%3d%3d&TARGET=$SM$https%3a%2f%2fene t%2enextel%2ecom%2feCareApp%2fjsp%2fcell_problem%2 ejsp