DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 191
1 members and 190 guests
tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Godspeed Mark Niver - NHRA Driver
Unread
  (#1)
Elite Racing

Godspeed Mark Niver - NHRA Driver - July 13, 2010, 09:07 AM

Surprised nobody's posted this yet.

Mark Niver was killed over the weekend during an NHRA event. His parachutes separated from his car, collided with the net and the car folder over on itself.

Doesn't look like he was carrying a massive amount of speed when he hit the net. Maybe the front of the car folded onto the driver's area and broke his neck?

NHRA Driver Mark Niver Dead In Brutal Crash (VIDEO) | Bumpshack.com

Godspeed Mark.

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Mojito Anyone?

July 13, 2010, 09:10 AM

I saw this as it happened on tv.. crash didn't look that bad at all.. He was an old dude though..

RIP

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#3)
AMA Superbike Champ

July 13, 2010, 09:26 AM

RIP.

Net design should be improved...
Unread
  (#4)
Contributor

July 13, 2010, 09:54 AM

Almost looked like if he turned it a little more he might of survived the impact into the nets.

RIP

2006 Yamaha R6
2008 Zuma YW50

Semper Fi
MARRC Cornerworker
NESBA #707
CCS AM #991
www.marrc.org
www.cornerspeed.net
www.rnrcycles.com VA
www.trianglecycles.com NC/VA

Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/27068503@N05/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Lucky  
Unread
  (#5)
Its me bytches..

July 13, 2010, 10:13 AM

2nd time its happened this year.

I was actually present the 1st time it happened.. a little over a month ago at the NHRA Supernationals in Englishtown, NJ in June. It was the first and only NHRA event I had attended so it kinda creepy that someone died on the track there. I asked my dad how often does it happen? And apparently it was pretty rare.

Same accident (parachute never opened). Same result.

Sounds like NHRA needs to add a sandtrap or additional restraints at the end of the raceway to guarantee driver saftey in case a parachute fails.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Daekwan Send a message via AIM to Daekwan  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

July 13, 2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Sounds like NHRA needs to add a sandtrap or additional restraints at the end of the raceway to guarantee driver saftey in case a parachute fails.
NHRA does have sand traps problem is that those nets are designed to slow cars down from a speed much greater than what he was going. It was a freak accident, I think they need to add a RII and brake to the car, like Monster Trucks have. This way when you have a driver go unconcious like last year when his motor blew knocking him out thus not being able to control his car. The RII (Remote Ignition Interupter) would instantly kill the motor as well as apply any and all brakes on the car once the car passes a certain point on the track at a certain speed. Dont know if the idea will work in NHRA it does in Monster trucks and sand/mud drags but it cant hurt.
Unread
  (#7)
Give me the Ban Button!

July 13, 2010, 02:23 PM

The problem with the remote brake system is that if you apply to much brake the rear slicks start to bounce real bad and the car will never stop. At the point in which the accident happened the engine was all ready shut down so an RII would have any effect on this situation. It is a freak thing that happened. That is all part of racing. Goodspeed and I hope when my day comes i get to go out doing something I love also.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#8)
Its me bytches..

July 13, 2010, 02:46 PM

Happening twice in less than a month sounds way more than 'freakish' to me. Wasnt Scott Kalitta killed in the same fashion? Im sure a few others have lost their lives because of this safety issue that certainly needs to be addressed. NASCAR quickly moved to the Hanes (sp??) device after Dale died on the track.

Electronics and mechanical systems fail. We know they fail because twice in less than a month a parachute has failed to open on a vehicle, which would only make a remote braking system seem like another component capable of failure.

I suggested sand traps & netting because there is less chance of failure and its also what airports & several tonnage airplanes use as an additional safety measure. Just because dragstrips 'had traps & netting' doesnt mean they were proper length or strength for stopping a Top Fuel Dragster easily capable of going 300mph. Those traps & nets could have been designed years ago to stop much slower cars. Even MotoGP made Leguna Seca spend millions in improvements to extend its traps & runoff areas because MotoGP bikes are much faster than the other sportbikes that had been using the track.

Im not saying traps & nets is the only solution, but it seems increasing them is a rather easy way to increase the most fail proof way I can think of to stop a vehicle travelling out of control.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Daekwan Send a message via AIM to Daekwan  
Unread
  (#9)
Flight Risk

July 13, 2010, 04:19 PM

man as i was watching the video i was expecting a huge wreck but when i saw him slowing down i thought that he would make it. srry to hear he died from it RIP.

hopefully this will result in more safety messures in order to stop this from happening again. he would have walked away from that if they had better safety. im sure age had alot to due with it, but still they need better safety barriers.

Next... R1
11' GSXR 750 (stolen)
09' CBR 600RR (sold)
08' GSXR 750 (sold)
07' CBR 600RR (R.I.P)

Maybe I will stop next time.
Unread
  (#10)
Groping is a skill...

July 13, 2010, 05:31 PM

In this instance his parachute opened but got ripped off. Even sky divers have two parachutes in case the first one fails and they are only going 160mph ish. These guys are hitting trap speeds of 300.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
Its me bytches..

July 13, 2010, 08:48 PM

Just talked to my dad. This is the 3rd time this has happened in the past year.
?
Unread
  (#12)
"?"

? - July 13, 2010, 09:00 PM

RIP....
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#13)
Retired to most ...

July 13, 2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubbs View Post
The problem with the remote brake system is that if you apply to much brake the rear slicks start to bounce real bad and the car will never stop. At the point in which the accident happened the engine was all ready shut down so an RII would have any effect on this situation. It is a freak thing that happened. That is all part of racing. Goodspeed and I hope when my day comes i get to go out doing something I love also.
Interesting .... I know this is your back ground Dan so can you explain this a bit more. What do you mean by the slicks "bouncing"? Similar to rear end chatter on a bike under hard braking?

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#14)
Give me the Ban Button!

July 13, 2010, 10:37 PM

His chutes did open. They ripped off the car once the popped. This could have happened for many reasons. The lead could have snapped. I do not think this is the case because I have never seen both of them snap at the same time. Both chutes will mount pretty close to each other on the chassis. My guess is that the mounting ripped away from the chassis. Also that is a top Alcohol dragster not a Top Fuel.

Scott Kalittas accident was a bit different. He was knocked unconscious after a major engine explosion. he died when his car went through the sand trap and hit a TV camera platform.

As for the tires bouncing. The slicks on these cars run at about 6-7psi and have extremely soft side walls. Under very hard braking or when the tires are locked up the rubber tries to grip and than is over come by the car moving forward. When this happens in a regular car or on a Bike the stiff side wall and high air pressure keeps the tire round. when this happens on a slick it causes the car to hope up and start to bounce on the balloon like tires.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#15)
Dude, playing the dude! K

July 14, 2010, 03:53 AM

Didn't look that bad at all! RIP to my fellow privateer!

Doesn't matter if you fall 1 foot or 20 foot.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to clowe1243