DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 577
3 members and 574 guests
beatle, davidcycle, legendindisguise
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
gone to the dark side
Unread
  (#1)
I came I saw I shat mysef

gone to the dark side - May 3, 2009, 10:56 AM

Ok.. So after 25 years of using PC's I've finally done it... I bought a MacBook yesterday!! Its hard to get used to.. all the control are different and not intuitively obvious to me (AT ALL).. So I am really stumbling around.. But OTOH its working amazingly well.. I put parallels and XP on it first thing. Next comes Vista and Ubunto Linux as well as Solaris and possibly even Trusted Solaris (ugh).. Gonna bump the ram up to 4 gig (looking into 6 gig but its WAY expensive for a 4gig chip) and pop a 500 gig drive in it.. It is wonderful how I can mix the windows from different OSs together on the same screen and cut-n-paste between them..

Plan to do some iPhone dev with this thing as well as use it for my main work (which usually involves 3-4 OS's at a time)...

Just had to rave..
hehe..

-john
wera, ccs - novice # 979 - sv650
Aprilia Falco (sold), Gs500 (sold), KTM300 (sold)

"I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one of them."

Separation of Corp. And State!

R.I.P Alex Lyskawa - My heart will never heal from your passing.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to jron  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

May 3, 2009, 10:59 AM

We'll forgive you for the XP...

'00 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R
'03 Honda XR100R
Xbox: ThrustinJ
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ThrustinJZX6  
Unread
  (#3)

May 3, 2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrustinJZX6 View Post
We'll forgive you for the XP...
lol.. Sorry.. HAVE to have XP.. Job requirement.. I have a number of low level network apps (streaming text and audio) that run only under XP that I use and maintain.

-john

Unread
  (#4)
Full spin ahead.

May 3, 2009, 11:45 AM

At face valve, they seem to have excellent build quality and some of the best screens I've seen. Unfortunately for me, the sub-$1000 range MacBooks didn't compare favorably with the Lenovo, HP, Toshiba, and Dell offerings back in November anyway.

That said, I still have a bone for a MacBook Pro running some parallels. The dark side is becoming very attractive since the Intel chips. Not sure how I'll get used to having a single mouse button.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to scarab  
Unread
  (#5)
poz top looking 4 neg bot

May 3, 2009, 11:49 AM

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Racer

May 3, 2009, 12:04 PM

I prefer and use a standard wireless logitech mouse with my mac. You don't have to stick with the one-button deal. Welcome to the darkside. In the days, weeks and months to come, you'll discover features that will make your life much easier. Have fun. It's a great machine and OS. iLife rules too. I can't recommend the Apple Wireless Keyboard enough. It's tiny, sleek, with all the dedicated buttons you'll need.
Unread
  (#7)

May 3, 2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zice View Post
I prefer and use a standard wireless logitech mouse with my mac. You don't have to stick with the one-button deal. Welcome to the darkside. In the days, weeks and months to come, you'll discover features that will make your life much easier. Have fun. It's a great machine and OS. iLife rules too. I can't recommend the Apple Wireless Keyboard enough. It's tiny, sleek, with all the dedicated buttons you'll need.
so just wtf *is* iLife? I see a disk that came with it and I know its installed.. But I really have no clue what it is... Will look closer later..

-john

Unread
  (#8)
GP Racer

May 3, 2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jron View Post
so just wtf *is* iLife? I see a disk that came with it and I know its installed.. But I really have no clue what it is... Will look closer later..
iLife is a suite of programs that come with every Mac. It's iTunes, iMovie, iPhoto, iDVD, Garage Band and iWeb. It's everything you need to manage your music, photos and movies. The programs are designed to work with each other so you can mix media, ie, put music in your video project.

With iTunes, you can manage an iPod, rip music from CDs, download podcasts, listen to music, etc.

With iPhoto, you can upload all your pictures, crop, print and email from within the program. You can make a slideshow with music, titles and effects and burn it to a DVD.

With iMovie, you can upload and edit video, adding music, special effects and transitions, titles, pics from iTunes and iPhoto, and compress it for the web and upload it to youtube or any other website, and send the project to iDVD, where you can burn a DVD with a customized menu.

With Garage Band, you can make songs, using included software instruments or even plug in real instruments or microphones. You can use your qwerty keyboard to play the software instruments and there are a bunch of effects you can layer to make any kind of sound you want. You can even put the Auto-Tune effect on your voice to make you sound like T-Pain.

I haven't messed with or even opened iWeb, but I believe you can make your own website with it.

Using only iLife programs, you can do as little or as much as you want, limited only by your imagination and investment in time. You can just keep all your family pics and listen to music, or you can go hardcore and create pro-quality video projects.

To get the most out of the programs, since they come with no manual and there are so many features and capabilities, check out the Missing Manual series of reference books, which you can find on Amazon or in Borders/Barnes and Noble book stores.

Last edited by Zice; May 3, 2009 at 01:35 PM..
Unread
  (#9)
Popplers!

May 3, 2009, 04:05 PM

For vm's I would get vmware fusion; this way you can swap your vm's on any arch.
Unread
  (#10)

May 3, 2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrotx View Post
For vm's I would get vmware fusion; this way you can swap your vm's on any arch.
well, already got parallels installed.. I gotta say one thing.. Its BRAIN DEAD EASY to install multiple OSs using parallels.. I was really STUNNED at just how easy it was..

-john

Unread
  (#11)
1 of DA PAK FOUNDERS!!

May 3, 2009, 08:55 PM

R1 , 2001
Gixxer 2005
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Chico Send a message via AIM to Chico  
Unread
  (#12)
I'm awesome.

May 3, 2009, 08:59 PM

Aye, welcome aboard.

Let me know if you have any questions about Cocoa/Objective-C and iPhone development in general. I develop iPhone/iTouch apps as my main source of income.
Unread
  (#13)
TPG og

May 4, 2009, 10:02 AM

Windowsblinds and Object Desktop will "Macify" XP and Vista for ya, just a heads up. My Xp looks and feels like a mac but I still got right click
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#14)
GP Racer

May 4, 2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00STZX3 View Post
Windowsblinds and Object Desktop will "Macify" XP and Vista for ya, just a heads up. My Xp looks and feels like a mac but I still got right click
You can right click a mac too. all u need is a standard mouse.
Unread
  (#15)
GP Racer

May 4, 2009, 01:38 PM

Welcome to the dark side

Ms. S1NFUL
I Christian Grey (50 Shades Trilogy)
I have O.C.D. = Obsessive Cullen Disorder
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Trinity