DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 588
2 members and 586 guests
davidcycle, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Google Earth Releases Hi-Res Images of USAF's Aircraft Boneyard
Unread
  (#1)
Your Ad Here

Google Earth Releases Hi-Res Images of USAF's Aircraft Boneyard - February 24, 2010, 11:23 AM

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...h&z=14&iwloc=A

Quote:
Dubbed The Boneyard, but officially known as the 309th Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group (AMARG) facility, this sprawling US airbase is reputed to be the world's largest military aircraft cemetery.

Spread across the huge 2,600 acre site, equivalent in size to 1,430 football pitches, is a collection of over 4,000 retired aircraft including nearly every plane the US armed forces have flown since World War II.

Now, for the first time, a series of high resolution satellite images of the four square mile-site have been released by Google Earth. They show in incredible detail the full range of aircraft found at the site.

Image of graveyard of planes in Arizona
To magnify this image of 'The Boneyard' mouse over the left-hand panel

Among the aircraft are B-52 Cold War-era bombers that were retired in the 1990s under the the terms of the SALT disarmament treaties signed between the US and the Soviet Union.

Also, on show are dozens of F-14 fighter planes which were retired from the US Navy in 2006 and featured in the Hollywood movie, Top Gun. The Boneyard has also featured in a series of films, the most recent being Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen.

Located in Tucson, Arizona, on the Davis-Monthan Air Force Base, the facility was first set up shortly after World War II. It was chosen for its high altitude and arid conditions, that mean the aircraft can be left outdoors without deteriorating too quickly.

A major industrial centre, AMARG manages an inventory of more than 4,200 aircraft and 40 aerospace vehicles.

In addition to being a massive plane park, AMARG also refurbishes aircraft, returning them to flying status or preparing them to be transported overland.

Officials at the base say that the parts reclaimed and aircraft withdrawn turns every tax dollar spent into 11 dollars in return.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
poz top looking 4 neg bot

February 24, 2010, 11:24 AM

those planes should be auctioned off

horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Street Bonk Bum.....

February 24, 2010, 11:27 AM

damn!

CCS AM # 204
Unread
  (#4)
Your Ad Here

February 24, 2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow View Post
Hell no! What happens when the aliens invade! Haven't you ever seen Independence Day! How do you think we can get so many planes and bombers in the air.

Nah, it's good strategy to have this stuff around for spare parts, recommissions, and trainers.

However, The WW2 / Cold War era stuff - yeah ummm - archive a few copies, sell or scrap metal the rest.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

February 24, 2010, 11:31 AM

Ill take a few of the A10's!
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Budah79 Send a message via AIM to Budah79  
Unread
  (#6)
Ling Long

February 24, 2010, 11:34 AM

I like the fact that it's there. I've been to DM to see it. It's impressive and a part of American Culture. I'm glad that it'll always be there.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#7)
Your Ad Here

February 24, 2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budah79 View Post
Ill take a few of the A10's!
Agreed. On of my favorite planes. If I ever make enough money, I want to buy a decommissioned/demilitarized one. I just want the Vulcan Cannon to stay! It doesn't have to work - I just want the barrels sticking out the front with the "Shark Mouth" paint scheme on the nose

I know you can buy P-51's and P-38's, British Hawker Hunters. The Russian's will sell you Mig-29's.

Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

February 24, 2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Agreed. On of my favorite planes. If I ever make enough money, I want to buy a decommissioned/demilitarized one. I just want the Vulcan Cannon to stay! It doesn't have to work - I just want the barrels sticking out the front with the "Shark Mouth" paint scheme on the nose

I know you can buy P-51's and P-38's, British Hawker Hunters. The Russian's will sell you Mig-29's.
yeah man ! A10's are badass! and ditto on the cannon!
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Budah79 Send a message via AIM to Budah79  
Unread
  (#9)
Street Bonk Bum.....

February 24, 2010, 12:17 PM

u think they would just scrap those babys and reuse the materials for new stuff

CCS AM # 204
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

February 24, 2010, 12:19 PM

some of them that are still intact get recommissioned!
They get upgrade software and equipments go back on the line!
Kinda like a refurbished computer
Unread
  (#11)
Ling Long

February 24, 2010, 12:20 PM

I don't forsee them selling a Vulcan, lol

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#12)
Addicted to Cajen food...

February 24, 2010, 01:24 PM

There's also an OUTSTANDING HALO (not the game, douche bags) school there....
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#14)
GP Racer

February 24, 2010, 01:46 PM

I've driven past there. Very cool.
Unread
  (#15)
Knee Draggin!

February 24, 2010, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow View Post

Some stuff does go up for auction eventually, some held on to for spare parts, some for foreign military sales, some long term storage for possible reactivation. The Marines are probably the service that reactivates the most aircraft and the occasional Boeing 707/KC135 for the Air Force. The Air Force also bought a lot of used commercial Boeing 707 for spare parts for their C-135 fleet. Those buys come in handy when they smash up the nose of an AWAC aircraft and need to replace about the first 20' of the fuselage, which they are currently doing.

Politics have a lot to do with what goes there also, since the Navy retired their F-14s leaving Iran as the only operator left of the type, they have accelerated the break up and disposal of the Tomcats to prevent any parts from leaving (I’m not sure how Iran would get parts out of there anyway, unless a large group at the base went in together on the scheme). It’s a cool place to visit and if your transient aircrew, you can set up a van and pass and have un restricted access and self guided tour, most others have to get the limited tour that is restricted to the display aircraft (still a lot there to look at).

Charlie