DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 569
1 members and 568 guests
2blueyam
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
GPS unit recommendations
Unread
  (#1)
Meh

GPS unit recommendations - April 12, 2007, 06:12 AM

What are you all using for vehicle and Motorcycle navigation systems. I need to pick some up for my salespeople and I would like one that I can switch between the two.

Thanks.

Also...any ideas on where are the best places to purchase...?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
klk
Licensed Rider

April 12, 2007, 06:17 AM

I use a Garmin 2730. interchangeable from bike to truck. Cheapest palce we found was GPSDiscount.com
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to klk Send a message via MSN to klk  
Unread
  (#3)
Meh

April 12, 2007, 06:20 AM

thanks. Does it have the functionality to pull up waypoints...? I guess that is what they are called...? I am talking about like being able to find the closest hardware store, restaurant, etc.

Also, is your unit voice activated...? My salespeople have the phones ringing and and bunch of other stuff. I need to keep their hands as free as possible.

Thanks.
Unread
  (#4)
klk
Licensed Rider

April 12, 2007, 06:28 AM

my unit pulls up almost all places. Atleast any I have tried I have gotten so far. No mine is not voice activated. You can upload routes on to mine from the computer also. It does talk to you and tell you when to turn.

Only thing I would watch for is a friend just got a GPS unit from Circuit City cant remember the brand but it was terrible. Did not pull up half of the new streets in our area. She took it back and got the Garmin. Make sure they have updated maps with which ever one you purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to klk Send a message via MSN to klk  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

April 12, 2007, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch
thanks. Does it have the functionality to pull up waypoints...? I guess that is what they are called...? I am talking about like being able to find the closest hardware store, restaurant, etc.

Also, is your unit voice activated...? My salespeople have the phones ringing and and bunch of other stuff. I need to keep their hands as free as possible.

Thanks.
I don't think the SteetPilots are voice active. Some models are Bluetooth and will alow you to access your phone from the touch screen. Check out the 276 or the Nuvi's. If you are putting it on your bike stay with the waterproof SP's, 276 or Zumo.
Unread
  (#6)
Meh

April 12, 2007, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space
I don't think the SteetPilots are voice active. Some models are Bluetooth and will alow you to access your phone from the touch screen. Check out the 276 or the Nuvi's. If you are putting it on your bike stay with the waterproof SP's, 276 or Zumo.
I like the Nuvi's but would be worried about being caught in the rain seeing as it doesn't look waterproof.
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

April 12, 2007, 06:49 AM

If you are goin to use it alot on the bike look at the Zumo 550.
Unread
  (#8)
> 6'3" need not apply!

April 12, 2007, 06:53 AM

I have the Garmin 330 and I LOVE it. It will show you everything. There is even a setting for a motorcycle, however, I've never used it on my bike. It is voice activated. Did I mention that I LOVE my Garmin. I drive like I know where I'm going and I've NEVER done that before.

Stacey
Blue 2005 SV650S (totaled)

Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

April 12, 2007, 07:26 AM

C330 is h2o proof and according to Garmin not recommended for rmotorcycle use.
Unread
  (#10)
where the good spotz at ?

April 12, 2007, 07:48 AM

I have the garmin nuvi 360....it works greeeeeeeeeeeat....it also has many other feature that i have no idea how to use yet

battery life is pretty good...it also has mp3, sd card slot for pics..etc

im very happy...it cost me 520.00

DBR 4 Life
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to kidcycle Send a message via AIM to kidcycle  
Unread
  (#11)
Meh

April 12, 2007, 07:54 AM

thanks for all the input so far guys/gals
Unread
  (#12)
Got my Permit

April 12, 2007, 08:01 AM

I gave the wife a garmin nuvi 660, she never gets lost now......

08 1098 (street)
and many more
Unread
  (#13)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

April 12, 2007, 08:02 AM

I do not own a newer Garmin but based on the fact that I have had thier Emap for about 8 years and never had 1 problem, got updates when needed and still can get newer maps and acc I will buy another Garmin again.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#14)
ATTN INVESTORS!

April 12, 2007, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space
If you are goin to use it alot on the bike look at the Zumo 550.

+1 Thats the one I'm currently looking at.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rekoniz  
Unread
  (#15)
This Ain't My First Time!

April 12, 2007, 08:28 AM

Check out the Garmin Quest it is small and can be changed from car to motorcycle. It is also waterproof. It has voice if you have it in the car window mount tht comes with it, and it should have all the updated streets (ver. 7.0 is the latest with the Quests for maps). I have had mine for a couple of years and it works great. You can upload maps for a couple of states with the 115 MB of map data storage that is standard and internal.

Now there is a Garmin Quest II that is the same model, but the maps for the entire united states is loaded by default. The only reason I bring these up over the Zumo is that they have been on the market longer and should be lower cost than the Zumo, but with all the same features besides NavTraffic and bluetooth and most of the new featrures that have come out on portable navigation in the last one and a half years. Hence, they should be much cheaper than the Zumo. Hope this helps you.

Works like a charm in the car and on the bike, but you must purchase the bike mount seperately.

OVER? did you say "Over"? Nothing is over until we decide its over, was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No!!!

~Blutarski~

Dodge131:
If your goal is to scrape knee within 1 mile of your house then you sir have a problem.

Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to