DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 531
1 members and 530 guests
tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Guidance On A Car Impounded b/c of an Old Fix-It Ticket
Unread
  (#1)
Your Ad Here

Guidance On A Car Impounded b/c of an Old Fix-It Ticket - November 20, 2014, 05:35 PM

Women smh.
Friend had her car impounded on the way to pick-up her daughter because the registration was suspended by the MD DMV.

A few months ago she received a Fix-It ticket for a blown taillight which was promptly replaced, but she forgot to have a police officer certify that it was now working and mail the notice back in.

(Sidenote: When the hell are car makers going to include a continuity circuit that alerts the driver then they have a burnt out bulb?!)

Officer Shithead radioed in and had the car towed to an impound lot, took the plates, and left her on the side of the road - but said he would cut her a break and not give her a ticket.

How benevolent of him.

Now the car is sitting somewhere in Bubbasville, MD with no plates racking up storage and towing fees.

Anyone ever deal with something like this and know what the process is to have the MVA re-authorize her registration and get the car released?

The car is sitting in a lot with no plates, so she can't drive it to a police officer so I'm unsure how she can get them to certify that the lights do work.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Racer

November 20, 2014, 05:47 PM

No firsthand experience but I'd think a cop would meet her there, it's kind of their duty to a degree.

Some cars do have alerts for blown bulbs, but most don't and a driver rarely if ever checks the bulbs.

Tommy

MSF Graduate 9-25-05
13 DRZ400SM Sold 6-21-16
06 R6 Raven Sold 4-23-15
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
250 cc's of awesomeness

November 20, 2014, 06:32 PM

Has to be more to the story for them to have impounded a car over a burned out taillight bulb.
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

November 20, 2014, 06:37 PM

Impounded while she was driving it for failure to take care of a ticket? Damn... Sounds like MD doesn't play.

I would think a call to either the impound lot or the officers station would get the info required as to how to get the car back.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#5)
Your Ad Here

November 20, 2014, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXRider View Post
Has to be more to the story for them to have impounded a car over a burned out taillight bulb.
Nope.
Nothing more.

She got a fix-it ticket in late-Spring. She replaced the bulb, then went to a Wedding for a week in the Caribbean and completely forgot to send the response ticket in.

MVA suspended or put an Administrative Hold on the registration which invalided it.

She's driving to pick up her daughter and gets popped by a Cop with a scanner camera on his car. That was the only infraction. She wasn't speeding. Has insurance. Valid license. etc. etc.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
250 cc's of awesomeness

November 20, 2014, 06:51 PM

Ridiculous
Unread
  (#7)
No more 1050 :(

November 20, 2014, 09:54 PM

The car wasn't impounded because of a burnt out bulb.. it was impounded because it wasn't registered. (The registration was suspended/ revoked because of the bulb)

Still a dick move, doesn't make it any better... but just sayin.

Hopefully the impound lot is close by.. they usually charge something like $30/ day, so tell her to get it out of there as soon as possible.. that shit adds up quick, I know all too well.
Unread
  (#8)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

November 21, 2014, 05:14 AM

Clear the ticket, get the registration squared away (request new plates as well) and then pick up the car.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

November 21, 2014, 08:38 AM

I have picked up a bike that may or may not have been mine years ago that was impounded because it wasn't properly registered and I was allegedly operating on a suspended license. The officer informed me I had to have the motorcycle registered properly and insured prior to it being released from the impound lot.

Nonsense.

The clean and clear title was in my name, and that was proof enough to have the tow company release the vehicle as I loaded it into the back of a pickup truck and towed it out myself.

Point being, can't you get a $10 U haul dolly and tow the vehicle out, transporting it to a friend/family's place till this mess clears without racking up excessive fees?

A.

Gemini Motorcycles (Sterling, VA)
www.GeminiMotorcycles.com
ZX14: 243 mph
ZX12: 229.6 mph
ZX10: 202.8 mph

ZX9: 177.6 mph
ZX6R: 180.8 mph
Ninja 650: 130.7 mph
Ninja 400: 123.5 mph

EX300: 114.7 mph
EX250: 122.4 mph
Unread
  (#10)
Licensed Rider

November 21, 2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
(Sidenote: When the hell are car makers going to include a continuity circuit that alerts the driver then they have a burnt out bulb?!)
They have them. You just have to buy the right car.

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650
Unread
  (#11)
Cager

November 21, 2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post

First of all, women.

Secondly, I believe all vehicles' turn signal light on the dash would blink faster to let you know that one of the lights are blown. At least this is the case for all vehicles I have owned and I never have any blown bulbs - Never want to get any shit from cops over those stuff.

Lastly, women.

-J. Beaver
--bike-less for now
Unread
  (#12)
Tiny Pimpled Genitalia

November 21, 2014, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphteey View Post

Point being, can't you get a $10 U haul dolly and tow the vehicle out, transporting it to a friend/family's place till this mess clears without racking up excessive fees?

A.
Or maybe a $25 transport tag?

!advance the agenda!
Unread
  (#13)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

November 21, 2014, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post
Impounded while she was driving it for failure to take care of a ticket? Damn... Sounds like MD doesn't play.

I would think a call to either the impound lot or the officers station would get the info required as to how to get the car back.

shit I got locked up for similar....

I did not pay a ticket in MD....
I live and registered in DC...

MD sent notice to DC I failed to pay a (MC Tag flipped up $280 ticket).
DC sent me a notice saying if I did not pay it they will suspend my lic.

I paid it, but of course MD did not say the issue was resolved so 6 months of driving on a suspended lic = one day in jail.

Fine was only $65 .....sigh.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#14)
i suck at the introweb

November 21, 2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
shit I got locked up for similar....

I did not pay a ticket in MD....
I live and registered in DC...

MD sent notice to DC I failed to pay a (MC Tag flipped up $280 ticket).
DC sent me a notice saying if I did not pay it they will suspend my lic.

I paid it, but of course MD did not say the issue was resolved so 6 months of driving on a suspended lic = one day in jail.

Fine was only $65 .....sigh.
Happened to me too. Got a ticket in Florida and paid it, but apparently there is an additional fee for FL to notify MD plus a credit card transaction fee plus a fax fee. Since I was in a rental car I was cited for driving on a suspended license which voided the renal agreement leaving me in possession of a stolen vehicle, and of course speeding.

Never be afraid that your life will end, only be afraid that it will never begin!

You Learn when your young, and understand when your older!
Unread
  (#15)
i suck at the introweb

November 21, 2014, 11:06 AM

back to the issue at hand:

Cop #2 was probably just doing his job. In the system it just says suspended registration it doesn't say for what. An actually the cop was doing her a favor by not ticketing her for driving on a suspended registration. If he did she would be ineligible to obtain insurance within the state of MD.

Cop #1 was the asshat. I could see if she had a major safety issue, but it was a damn bulb. Check her stuff let her know whats up and move on. Probably was a young state trooper.

As for the car. See if the impound lot does MD safety inspections. I believe since she didn't send it in on time she will have to have a whole new one completed prior to new tags. Take the inspection to MVA to get new tags. If not see if she can get a temp transport tag. Otherwise in MD its your property. No tags just means you can't drive it. If its towed out they have to release it, then tow it to an inspection station.

Never be afraid that your life will end, only be afraid that it will never begin!

You Learn when your young, and understand when your older!