DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 604
3 members and 601 guests
GRN96WS6, hokie, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Guitar nerds - your opinion?
Unread
  (#1)
SIN MC President

Guitar nerds - your opinion? - July 22, 2009, 12:23 PM

I've been entertaining the purchase of another new guitar. I listen to everything from Foo Fighters, Clutch, Mogwai to Lamb of God. I'll eventally run this through either another Mesa Boogie setup or the new Line6 Spyder amps.. I have my choices narrowed down:

Jackson Dominion
http://www.guitarworld.com/article/j...gnature_guitar
Color: River Bed
My pros: being an old school Richmonder I favour the hometown heroes (Lamb of God). This is Mark Morton's signature model. Chambered mahogany body (lightwieght), '59 Seymore Duncan Humbuckers, Shark eye pearl inlayed fretboard.. I'm more into silver hardware than gold.
Cons: chambered body doesn't carry the sustain of a solid body, but will I really notice? Unless I'm Mark Morton nobody will give a crap about the Dominion guitar body style in 20 years.

Gibson Epiphone Slash Gold Top
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...Signature.aspx
My pros: Solid mahogany body, dual coil humbuckers, silver hardware and limited to 2000 worldwide. I prefer these volume/tone knobs over the studio LPs. Les Pauls are classic and they will never go out of style.
My Cons: Heavy.

Gibson Epiphone Les Paul Ultra
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...ard-Ultra.aspx
color: Cherry Burst
My pros: Chambered body (lightwieght), classic Les Paul styling.
My cons: gold hardware

Gibson USA Firebird
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...irebird-V.aspx

My pros: an all around ballsy rock guitar
My cons: Jive-like-balls expensive! retail:$2299

ESP Willie Adler WA600
http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_will.html
My pros: I love camo. The pearl inlays are awesome, Mahogany Body, Black Nickel Hardware, Sperzel Locking Tuners , Tonepros Locking TOM & Tail, '59 Seymour Duncan Humbuckers
My cons: it's a Les Paul body rip-off

#22 TOTNAC
STRENGTH IN NUMBERS MC

Last edited by KANEDA; July 22, 2009 at 01:35 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Popplers!

July 22, 2009, 12:28 PM

Which one has the neck you prefer? Which one has the versatility you prefer?

Which one feels best in your hands?

Everyone has a Les Paul, the gold top looks overpriced, the Jackson makes me want to gag.

I like LOG's sound though. Do you have a Mark IV?
Unread
  (#3)
SIN MC President

July 22, 2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrotx View Post
Which one has the neck you prefer? Which one has the versatility you prefer?

Which one feels best in your hands?

Everyone has a Les Paul, the gold top looks overpriced, the Jackson makes me want to gag.

I like LOG's sound though. Do you have a Mark IV?
The Les Paul necks have a good profile... Yeah, jackson guitars are kinda synonymous with hair/glam bands, but LOG are my friends.. I don't have a Mark IV (yet..haha), I used to rock a Mesa F50 tube...

#22 TOTNAC
STRENGTH IN NUMBERS MC

Unread
  (#4)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

July 22, 2009, 12:33 PM

My choice:

1. Jackson
2. Gibson Slash Gold Top

I'd have to play them to see which one I liked better.

I had a Charvel that resembles the Jackson. I loved the low action and active electronics.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#5)
Knee Draggin!

July 22, 2009, 12:45 PM

Disclaimer: I've been playing heavy music on and off for about 20 years. That being said, I've never been much of a gearhead or extremly picky on the guitars I've used.

I like the Jackson of all those.
Unread
  (#6)
DFL

July 22, 2009, 01:08 PM

1) Jackson
2) ESP

Not sure if you've ever played a Gibson Firebird but I found them to be extremely unbalanced and uncomfortable after only a few minutes.

"They should have sent a poet"
Unread
  (#7)
Happiness Consultant

Cool July 22, 2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
I'd have to play them to see which one I liked
me too. last time I bought a guitar, I must've played 12-15 of them before choosing the one I liked.

I also don't believe that gear makes the guitarist. I've seen guys pick up $100 used beat up guitars and make them rock out like you've never heard before and I've seen guys pick up $5000 guitars and they can't play worth a

one of my favorite sounding guitars (that I own and still play) I bought for $60 at a moving sale. Its a Kramer strat knock-off. All I did was change the strings to IMO the best strings (D'addario).

here it is in action
Kramer Strat knockoff, run through Line 6 Podxt Live and my Lee Jackson Amp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3pH1E4e30s

my last opinion (cos I am entitled to them) - I wouldn't buy another guitar unless I was going to play out i.e. make money. But then again, I have 10 to play with.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#8)
SIN MC President

July 22, 2009, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EduardoSuave View Post
me too. last time I bought a guitar, I must've played 12-15 of them before choosing the one I liked.

I also don't believe that gear makes the guitarist. I've seen guys pick up $100 used beat up guitars and make them rock out like you've never heard before and I've seen guys pick up $5000 guitars and they can't play worth a

one of my favorite sounding guitars (that I own and still play) I bought for $60 at a moving sale. Its a Kramer strat knock-off. All I did was change the strings to IMO the best strings (D'addario).

here it is in action
Kramer Strat knockoff, run through Line 6 Podxt Live and my Lee Jackson Amp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3pH1E4e30s

my last opinion (cos I am entitled to them) - I wouldn't buy another guitar unless I was going to play out i.e. make money. But then again, I have 10 to play with.
I hear ya... I just have a very old Yamaha acoustic and a Fender Telecaster that I'll never part with. I'm not Tom Morelo so I can only get so much tone from my tele & single coil pickups..it's inherently a brighter tone than any solid body mahogany axe with humbuckers... plus I'm a firm beliver in "you get what you pay for"...but I'm trying to stay around the $1K range.

#22 TOTNAC
STRENGTH IN NUMBERS MC

Unread
  (#9)
God of the Gaps

July 22, 2009, 02:08 PM

Go with what feels best to you and sounds good through your rig. My personal favorite is a Gibson SG Standard. Awesome value for the money (usually right around $1k), and they sound amazing. Even after you've picked the guitar you want to buy, if you're buying at a store play every one of that kind they have on the wall, and make them break every one out of the back for you to try. I did this when I bought my last guitar (SG), and you'd be surprised how different the same type of guitar can sound. I picked the one that had the most pleasing tone and feel running through my amp (Mesa dual rec Roadster head and rec 4x12 cab).
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
formerly RC51Pilot

July 22, 2009, 03:34 PM

Opinion? You should be listening to other bands (you should've known that was coming).

Why didn't PRS guitars make your short list?
Unread
  (#11)
B
It goes to 11.

July 22, 2009, 03:42 PM

My opinion(s)...

#1 - RC51pilot is an ass, but his opinion is valid PRS would be on my shortlist. I listen to most of the bands you listed, they are successful for a reason.
#2 - If you're using the guitars to record vs play out vs jam in your house you're looking for different things. Venue or intended use might clarify my suggestion.
#3 - Big fan of Les Paul necks

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#12)
Say Jur Oh

July 22, 2009, 04:39 PM

1) ESP
2) ESP
3) Jackson if for some reason you can't find the ESP

I've got a Jackson, it's great, but I wish I had an ESP. I think Gibson is just too much of a name and want too much for their guitars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'm not saying this site has a bunch of gay dudes on it but a few of you definitely lack a bumpstop on the sexuality gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009
You are missed
Godspeed
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Seijirou  
Unread
  (#13)
SIN MC President

July 22, 2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrB View Post
My opinion(s)...

#1 - RC51pilot is an ass, but his opinion is valid PRS would be on my shortlist. I listen to most of the bands you listed, they are successful for a reason.
#2 - If you're using the guitars to record vs play out vs jam in your house you're looking for different things. Venue or intended use might clarify my suggestion.
#3 - Big fan of Les Paul necks
#1 - I've played both PRS and Les Paul.. The Les Paul just sounded more to my liking. Plus the PRS that I did prefer reached somewhere in the $2K +

#2 - I'm looking for a guitar for all three.. So since I can't afford three guitars.....

#3 - Les Paul necks... like buttah

#22 TOTNAC
STRENGTH IN NUMBERS MC

Unread
  (#14)
Popplers!

July 22, 2009, 06:29 PM

I'm not sure if this is in your price range but Ben Kenney, the bassist for Incubus, plays a beautiful Les Paul

It's a custom with joe barden pups.

You can hear it on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47fzpzNOcw0

He plays through this in the studio and stage: