DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:



Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 521
0 members and 521 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Gun Liability Insurance
Unread
  (#1)
Sewing Machine Rider
 
big_sur's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,934
Join Date: October 16, 2011
Location: Elevation 7,442'
Gun Liability Insurance - January 31, 2013, 08:09 AM

This was a really interesting concept they were talking about on NPR this morning.

Should Gun Owners Have To Buy Liability Insurance? : Planet Money : NPR

In theory, I think it's a great idea, but I feel like implementation and regulation would be a nightmare. There's just no infrastructure in place.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#2)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms
 
Fitz's Avatar
 
Posts: 17,473
Join Date: October 1, 2002
Location: King George, VA
January 31, 2013, 08:15 AM

It's a backdoor method to further control.

"Oh, we allow guns here in *insert shitty city here,* we just require 25 million dollars in liability insurance."


Not to mention, it won't do anything to help anyone. Pretty sure the policy won't cover you if someone steals your shit, shoots you in the head, and massacres a bunch of people.

Probably won't cover gangbangers killing each other.

In fact, the only people that will get this insurance, and pay for it, are the people who statistically will almost never need it. It's yet another method to punish the law abiding (through premiums and paperwork this time, instead of bans) for the actions of the shitbirds.


-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#3)
AMA Superbike Champ
 
Too40gawlf's Avatar
 
Posts: 837
Join Date: September 29, 2010
January 31, 2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
This was a really interesting concept they were talking about on NPR this morning.

Should Gun Owners Have To Buy Liability Insurance? : Planet Money : NPR

In theory, I think it's a great idea, but I feel like implementation and regulation would be a nightmare. There's just no infrastructure in place.
You find this 'interesting'?

Really? I had to quit reading when the first pointy headed turd proposed a 'gun license fee' of $100-1800 a year for 'social costs'.

FUCK THAT.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#4)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms
 
Fitz's Avatar
 
Posts: 17,473
Join Date: October 1, 2002
Location: King George, VA
January 31, 2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too40gawlf View Post
You find this 'interesting'?

Really? I had to quit reading when the first pointy headed turd proposed a 'gun license fee' of $100-1800 a year for 'social costs'.

FUCK THAT.
Don't you see? The 80 million or so lawful gun owners should pay the burden for the 10,000 gun deaths per year (many of which are criminals killing other criminals anyway)

Great idea.


-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#5)
Sewing Machine Rider
 
big_sur's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,934
Join Date: October 16, 2011
Location: Elevation 7,442'
January 31, 2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Not to mention, it won't do anything to help anyone. Pretty sure the policy won't cover you if someone steals your shit, shoots you in the head, and massacres a bunch of people.

Probably won't cover gangbangers killing each other.

In fact, the only people that will get this insurance, and pay for it, are the people who statistically will almost never need it. It's yet another method to punish the law abiding (through premiums and paperwork this time, instead of bans) for the actions of the shitbirds.
Well like the article said, hopefully it would encourage folks to secure their firearms better and if someone did shoot you, take your gun, and kill people, at least those folks would be compensated.

There are obviously legal considerations to be taken into account, just as with any other kind of insurance. I'm not sure what you're going after with the gangbangers comment.

I agree, implementation would be impractical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Don't you see? The 80 million or so lawful gun owners should pay the burden for the 10,000 gun deaths per year (many of which are criminals killing other criminals anyway)

Great idea.
Why not? It's an action that a subset choose to take and everyone has to pay for. Like they say, there are externalities involved that aren't being accounted for. If the ratio is that high, then the premium would be minimized.

Like I said, I think it's a great, but impractical idea. Economics ftw.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#6)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms
 
Fitz's Avatar
 
Posts: 17,473
Join Date: October 1, 2002
Location: King George, VA
January 31, 2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
Well like the article said, hopefully it would encourage folks to secure their firearms better and if someone did shoot you, take your gun, and kill people, at least those folks would be compensated.

There are obviously legal considerations to be taken into account, just as with any other kind of insurance. I'm not sure what you're going after with the gangbangers comment.

I agree, implementation would be impractical.



Why not? It's an action that a subset choose to take and everyone has to pay for. Like they say, there are externalities involved that aren't being accounted for. If the ratio is that high, then the premium would be minimized.

Like I said, I think it's a great, but impractical idea. Economics ftw.
We should implement a penis tax on all males to help pay for rape victims, eh?


-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...

Last edited by Fitz; January 31, 2013 at 08:41 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#7)
Sewing Machine Rider
 
big_sur's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,934
Join Date: October 16, 2011
Location: Elevation 7,442'
January 31, 2013, 08:38 AM

No, because there's no choice involved. I mean I guess you can choose to have a dick grafted on if you really want one, but by and large, most people don't go out and buy a bunch of penis.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#8)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓
 
Dark's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,213
Join Date: March 10, 2008
January 31, 2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
No, because there's no choice involved. I mean I guess you can choose to have a dick grafted on if you really want one, but by and large, most people don't go out and buy a bunch of penis.
When did things change?


-Ryan
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#9)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms
 
Fitz's Avatar
 
Posts: 17,473
Join Date: October 1, 2002
Location: King George, VA
January 31, 2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
No, because there's no choice involved. I mean I guess you can choose to have a dick grafted on if you really want one, but by and large, most people don't go out and buy a bunch of penis.
There's a choice involved. Avoid the tax by removing your penis

10,000 ish gun deaths last year versus 80 million gun owners. 0.0125 percent

200,000 ish sexual assaults versus a male population of 151.4 million (using 2009 numbers. all I had)

0.132 percent.

So, as a penis owner, you're way more likely to be a rapist than a gun owner is to be a murderer.


-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#10)
B
It goes to 11.
 
B's Avatar
 
Posts: 16,806
Join Date: November 8, 2004
Location: Moet Chandon on a Schlitz budget
January 31, 2013, 08:42 AM

The main question Fitz is bringing up is "Why are we penalizing honest, safe, legitimate gun owners?".

These school shootings are a drop in the bucket. Statistically they are an anomaly, something that hardly every happens and the actual death count is pretty low. That's a very crude and very dispassionate way to describe the deaths of some very young children, and no disrespect is meant, but the point is that hardly anyone dies from school shootings, and we're going to make sweeping, national policy based on it.

It's foolish. It's would be like making all car owners pay for insurance even though statistically the only people who get in wrecks were bank robbers. Of course, that's not true, a lot of honest, regular people get in car wrecks... but on the inverse argument hardly any honest regular people shoot someone else. Logic says that if the conditions for the argument do not exist, then it's an invalid argument.


SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#11)
Sewing Machine Rider
 
big_sur's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,934
Join Date: October 16, 2011
Location: Elevation 7,442'
January 31, 2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
The main question Fitz is bringing up is "Why are we penalizing honest, safe, legitimate gun owners?".

These school shootings are a drop in the bucket. Statistically they are an anomaly, something that hardly every happens and the actual death count is pretty low. That's a very crude and very dispassionate way to describe the deaths of some very young children, and no disrespect is meant, but the point is that hardly anyone dies from school shootings, and we're going to make sweeping, national policy based on it.

It's foolish. It's would be like making all car owners pay for insurance even though statistically the only people who get in wrecks were bank robbers. Of course, that's not true, a lot of honest, regular people get in car wrecks... but on the inverse argument hardly any honest regular people shoot someone else. Logic says that if the conditions for the argument do not exist, then it's an invalid argument.
Fair enough, and I think that's valid, especially when you compare it to the cost of implementing something like this which is why I say it's impractical. I think the difficultly in a solution stems from putting a price on a human life. What's your child worth? To most people, that answer is probably everything, regardless of whether that answer is actionable.

Last edited by big_sur; January 31, 2013 at 08:57 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#12)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms
 
Fitz's Avatar
 
Posts: 17,473
Join Date: October 1, 2002
Location: King George, VA
January 31, 2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
Fair enough, and I think that's valid, especially when you compare it to the cost of implementing something like this which is why I say it's impractical. I think the difficultly in a solution stems from putting a price on a human life. What's your child worth? To most people, that answer is probably everything, regardless of whether that answer is actionable.
No, the answer isn't that.

My daughter is worth everything. But implementing measures that A.) can't be enforced, and B.) don't work, is precisely what's wrong with this country.

The cry to "Do something!!!oneoneone" is all too often accompanied by a complete exodus of common sense.


-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#13)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM
 
dodge131's Avatar
 
Posts: 12,567
Join Date: May 31, 2006
Location: NOVA
January 31, 2013, 09:04 AM

WOW what a fucking joke.

So lets also make people who buy baseball bats get insurance. What about knives? Just in bats and knives I would go broke.

Another thing is it would make guns only available for the wealthy which of course would be unfair in saying only if you are rich are you allowed to protect yourself.

Man the shit they are shoveling these days.


www.RnRcycles.com


Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#14)
Meh
 
Posts: 7,983
Join Date: October 1, 2002
January 31, 2013, 09:07 AM

I will not address the stupidity (not picking on you big sur) of this idea as it has been well hashed out.

The fallacy of the comparison completely invalidates the argument to begin with.

There are no insurances on the possession of a car. I have a car that sits in a garage and I carry no insurance on it while it is not road worthy or being driven.

Much like the poorly framed argument for limitations on the 2nd Amendment based on the whole "Fire" in a crowded theater 1st Amendment rationale, this is the same thing.

Most gun owners possess and do not use their firearms. What is the taxation on at that point...the mere possession?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#15)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms
 
Fitz's Avatar
 
Posts: 17,473
Join Date: October 1, 2002
Location: King George, VA
January 31, 2013, 09:12 AM

We already DO implement taxes on those who use them, both on ammunition, and the fees for concealed carry permits.


-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest 2002-2010 by DCSportbikes.net. DCSportbikes.net is owned by End of Time Studios, LLC.