DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 491
1 members and 490 guests
davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
HD-DVD... my new toy.
Unread
  (#1)
Quack quack!

HD-DVD... my new toy. - July 11, 2006, 02:40 PM

I have been trying to find an HD-A1 at BB for a couple of weeks, but last Friday I finally broke down and ordered one from Crutchfield since they had them in stock. If you have the right setup to support this player you won't be sorry and if you have a spare SD-DVD player to hook up so you can do a side by side (A-B) test with the HD-DVD player you will really see what you've been missing with SD-DVDs.

So far I have: Blazing Saddles, The Chronicles of Riddick, Serenity & Constantine.

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvd/product.asp?model=hd-a1

Last edited by Psychor; July 11, 2006 at 02:45 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

July 11, 2006, 02:45 PM

So you can play ALL of yoru movies in one afternoon? That's what's holding me back.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#3)
I'm an Asshole

July 11, 2006, 02:46 PM

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

Did you pay 499?

And where do you get the discs? Are they 720p or 1080p? I thought the "new" high def was 1080p?

High def rocks. Its clearer than real life.

If you can read this, give me a red dot
If you get mad when I type, do us both a favor.

Some recent rep I have been given:
-U-R-Gay (unsigned)
-you dont even ride you troll (unsigned)
-you are now 115% gay, ghey, and ghay (unsigned)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to griffindj Send a message via Skype™ to griffindj 
Unread
  (#4)
Quack quack!

July 11, 2006, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDawg
So you can play ALL of yoru movies in one afternoon? That's what's holding me back.
If you're talking about HD-DVDs then yes, as I currently only have 4 HD-DVDs. However, there are ~ 30+ HD-DVD movies currently available. You can find then online, BB, CC, etc.

High Definition Release List

Last edited by Psychor; July 11, 2006 at 08:10 PM..
Unread
  (#5)
I'm Seeing Red

July 11, 2006, 02:53 PM

I heard the Xbox 360 is going to come out with an external HD DVD player to hook up to it... sweet now I just gotta get an Xbox 360 and then the HD DVD external adapter, then I'll be set!!
Unread
  (#6)
I'm an Asshole

July 11, 2006, 03:05 PM

I hear the adapter for the 360 is in the 100$ price range which will be 100$ lower than the Sony Blueray PS3 (600$).

I like the blueray technology better, but I'm impatient so I may go out and snag one of these HD DVD players once the new release movies all come out on it.

-U-R-Gay (unsigned)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to griffindj Send a message via Skype™ to griffindj 
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

July 11, 2006, 03:07 PM

what made you choose HD DVD over Blu Ray Disk?

Katie 135
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Brooks  
Unread
  (#8)
I'm Seeing Red

July 11, 2006, 03:10 PM

blu-ray is technically better, it can hold more data, but HD DVD is cheaper and it looks like HD DVD will have more movies out for it... but in a couple years we'll find out who wins between the two. Kinda like the VHS Beta tape battle... dun dun dun
Unread
  (#9)
I'm an Asshole

July 11, 2006, 03:25 PM

yo psychor i saw the hd-dvd demo at CES and saw something about a broadband internet connection required. And that while watching a movie, you can press a button and it will pop-up IMDB-type info on the actors and crew. Also you could download new stuff like maybe trailers like the xbox marketplace. Does this model have all that stuff?

-U-R-Gay (unsigned)
Unread
  (#10)
Quack quack!

July 11, 2006, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddRyder12
I heard the Xbox 360 is going to come out with an external HD DVD player to hook up to it... sweet now I just gotta get an Xbox 360 and then the HD DVD external adapter, then I'll be set!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffindj
I hear the adapter for the 360 is in the 100$ price range which will be 100$ lower than the Sony Blueray PS3 (600$).

I like the blueray technology better, but I'm impatient so I may go out and snag one of these HD DVD players once the new release movies all come out on it.
The external HD-DVD drive for the Xbox 360 should come out for around $100-200 sometime in the Fall or Winter. I am guessing it will be $150+. I thought about waiting for the 360 drive, but I don't want the use my HD-DVD player, as a HD-DVD player, tied to a console or any other device for that matter. Plus, why wait? The HD-A1 is a solid piece of hardware both in terms of build and part quality. The only real issues people with this player is that the remote is garbage, which it is (I use a Harmony 880), and the startup time for the player is long (30-45 seconds).

Last edited by Psychor; July 11, 2006 at 06:55 PM..
Unread
  (#11)
Quack quack!

July 11, 2006, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks
what made you choose HD DVD over Blu Ray Disk?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddRyder12
blu-ray is technically better, it can hold more data, but HD DVD is cheaper and it looks like HD DVD will have more movies out for it... but in a couple years we'll find out who wins between the two. Kinda like the
VHS Beta tape battle... dun dun dun
A dual-layer HD-DVD can hold 30GB (15GB / layer). This is what is out now. A single-layer Blu-ray disc can hold 25GB (25GB / layer). This is what is out now. People continue to state that Blu-ray can hold more data, but in practice this is not true as pointed out above. Mass manufacturing a dual-layer (50GB) disc is currently not an easy thing and thus why they are not currently out. Eventually they will be. Toshiba has also announced a triple-layer disc which offers 45GB of storage. But just with the dual-layer Blu-ray disc I will believe it when I see it.

The current codec used on these 25GB Blu-ray discs is MPEG2. Long story short and from what people I trust, who own both players, have told me you will find that current Blu-ray movies are far from superior, mostly in terms of visuals, then current HD-DVD movies. Granted, once they start to crank out the 50GB Blu-ray discs they will be changing how movies are encoded (MPEG4) and some believe this is when Blu-ray will out shine HD-DVD in terms of visuals.

If this does indeed happen I will pick up a Blu-ray player, but for now I am happy with my choice. Considering what I stated above, along with current studio support and the fact that a Blu-ray player is currently x2 the cost of a HD-DVD player, while not currently at the same level of visual quality as HD-DVD, led me to make my decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffindj
yo psychor i saw the hd-dvd demo at CES and saw something about a broadband internet connection required. And that while watching a movie, you can press a button and it will pop-up IMDB-type info on the actors and crew. Also you could download new stuff like maybe trailers like the xbox marketplace. Does this model have all that stuff?
There is an ethernet port on the HD-A1. Currently the only thing it is used for is downloading new firmware for the player. I am sure they will be expanding the use of this in the future though.

Last edited by Psychor; July 11, 2006 at 06:59 PM..
Unread
  (#12)
Site ADMIN

July 12, 2006, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychor
There is an ethernet port on the HD-A1. Currently the only thing it is used for is downloading new firmware for the player. I am sure they will be expanding the use of this in the future though.

Christ, does EVERY FUCKING electronic device need this now? Why cant they get the shit right before shipping it to the public. Seems every company is following the microsoft business plan of getting shit out that sux and oh, as long as you got it connected to the web you can get a firmware/sw update to fix the shit we notice later.

/rant over..

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#13)
Quack quack!

July 12, 2006, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud
Christ, does EVERY FUCKING electronic device need this now? Why cant they get the shit right before shipping it to the public. Seems every company is following the microsoft business plan of getting shit out that sux and oh, as long as you got it connected to the web you can get a firmware/sw update to fix the shit we notice later.

/rant over..
Normally I would agree with you about this whole "ship first then patch later" mindset - especially when it comes to games (i.e. for the PC and Xbox 360). But anyone who buys an HD-A1 or similiar device this early should realize they are paying to be a beta tester. I'm just happy Toshiba has done a solid job of addressing the issues with the player as users discover them.

Last edited by Psychor; July 12, 2006 at 10:25 AM..
Unread
  (#14)
I'm Seeing Red

July 12, 2006, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychor
A dual-layer HD-DVD can hold 30GB (15GB / layer). This is what is out now. A single-layer Blu-ray disc can hold 25GB (25GB / layer). This is what is out now. People continue to state that Blu-ray can hold more data, but in practice this is not true as pointed out above. Mass manufacturing a dual-layer (50GB) disc is currently not an easy thing and thus why they are not currently out. Eventually they will be. Toshiba has also announced a triple-layer disc which offers 45GB of storage. But just with the dual-layer Blu-ray disc I will believe it when I see it.
Well if you are going by the simple process of writing and capacity of the disks, there is no arguing what-so-ever that Blu-Ray is capable and does hold more data than an HD DVD disk. Look around, the info is there. People keep pointing this fact out because it is tru .

Not to say that it makes Blu-Ray THAT much better, but they are just capable of holding more data because they use a 405 nm wavelength blue-violet laser while the HD DVD uses only a 405 nm wavelength blue laser. Key difference is the laser with the blu-ray.

And as you said single layer vs. single layer, HD DVD 15 GB vs Blu Ray 25 GB so thus, blu ray holds more.
Unread
  (#15)
I'm an Asshole

July 12, 2006, 11:39 AM

I think he can do the ratio math. He was saying that HD-DVD dual-layer is out on the market now. And THAT holds more than the Single layer Blue ray disc. Once the Dual Layer Blue Ray discs are out then yes they'll obviously hold more. Why am i repeating.

Anyway. The size wont make a difference at all in terms of movies. The industry standar is 720p. All video is going to be this resolution. A 720p on blue ray looks the EXACT EFFING SAME as 720p on an hd-dvd. The capacity comes into play when a dual layer hd-dvd and single layer blue ray disc holds something like 2-3 hours of hd video and the blue ray. Enough for MOST movies. Dual layer Blue Ray holds 4.5-5 hours of hd video. Titanic and all the extra features would all be in high def on a single disc.

Anyone remember the old VHS double tapes. "Please insert tape 2 now"?

-U-R-Gay (unsigned)