DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 634
4 members and 630 guests
GRN96WS6, Nobrains, Scot, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
HDTV issues help
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

HDTV issues help - October 29, 2014, 07:05 PM

Have a 67 inch DLP Samsung TV. Kinda on the fence what to do. Dump it and get a new or try and get it fixed.

Samsung HL67A750 67-Inch 1080p LED Powered DLP HDTV (2008 Model)

So to my understanding this tv does not have a color wheel and uses a led based projection system.

With some shows/movement on the screen, it will create horizontal image jumping with color drop and or duplicating the image.

Often times white lines will flash horizontally across the screen as well.

Any tv nerds on here who have any ideas?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

October 29, 2014, 07:36 PM

How old is the TV?

You need to do a cost/benefit repairing it. Figure minimum of $250 for even a minor repair.

I went through this with a 65 inch rear projection behemoth we still have. It was 3-5 years old. We called a local repair guy. Talked it over. He was already there so he pulled the electronics chassis and said he'd seen our problem before. He could try a few things and let us know if it was worth doing or not. We got lucky, a board hadn't seated well at factory and eventually shorted out. New board, we still have it and it's 11+ years old. (Wife absolutely hates this huge thing....but it still has a great picture.)

If the repair had topped 1K....it was going in the trash. If you are near the 50% of the price it's likely not worth it IMO.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#3)
Railing!

October 29, 2014, 08:32 PM

If you're having this issue chances are that somebody else has had it too.

I went through an issue a few years ago with a 42" Samsung where it sometimes wouldn't power on. My wife wanted to toss and replace it, but I first researched online about it and found out it wasn't an uncommon problem. Almost everyone that had experienced it had reported that it was due to bad capacitors on the power board. I ordered a full set of new capacitors for less than $10, spent about an hour tearing the TV apart, desoldering the old caps and soldering in the new ones and had it fixed and back on the wall before the wife got home from the store.

That was in 2009 and we're still using the TV today, although it's now in a different room.

I'd just see if you can find a forum post dealing with your specific model with the same issue. You may get lucky like I did and find out it can be a DIY fix.

But, like MudDawg stated, you're looking at a minimum of $250 to have a pro fix even something as simple as what I did.
Unread
  (#4)
SRWJTS Recruiter

October 29, 2014, 09:33 PM

Buy a new TV. HDTVs are "cheap" these days. Will cost more to repair than it's worth.

"Remember you may love your bike but your bike doesn't love you and that bitch will kill you the first time you do her wrong."

MARRC Cornerworker
http://www.marrc.org/

2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
2006 Yamaha R6 - Anniversary Edition - SOLD
2005 Yamaha R6 - SOLD
2001 Yamaha YZF600R - SOLD
Unread
  (#5)
Your Ad Here

October 29, 2014, 10:10 PM

Funny enough a board friend's 70" DLP went down 2 weeks ago. Turns out it was the DLP chipset in back of the light engine. $220 part - 30 minutes of install time.

Honestly, I would call it a wrap though. Nothing but diminishing returns from a DLP TV at this juncture. You're dealing with tech that is 4 generations old ( DLP > Plasma > LED > Ultra LED/4K) and has run its course.

Newer TVs are thinner, far more energy efficient, and run much cooler which is only a benefit to component longevity.

LED prices have plummeted to laughable levels for a 60" class. Sub $1000 is not unusual for a mid-tier TV. Expect to pay $1000-1500 more for a 4K.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Window Licker

October 30, 2014, 05:20 PM

Sounds like the chipset. I got mine from shopJimmy.com. As stated, it takes about thirty minutes to replace and is cheap. You're taking a gamble that the light engine is not far behind on the failure train though (ask me how I know). They are pretty expensive too.

Your call. I repaired mine because the media wall was built around it. The picture is back to like new but I think I'm just waiting for the next failure.

MARRC corner worker
I bleed racing fuel......
www.marrc.org

Several of you know me a "Junior" at the track due to me driving the crash truck at Summit.
MARRC Corner Worker of the Year 2015
Received MARRC Presidents Cup 2017
Received MARRC Cup 2018
1985 VT1100C Shadow (rebuilt it after 11 years in a shed) And now dead and locked up. Thanks Slider!
1983 G1100I Goldwing (rebuilt it after "only" 4 years in a barn)
1995 XR250R (got this one for free from a friend)
2003 GSXR600 track bike
2000 SV650 race bike
2000 TTR125/150 mini motard (another free one)
2000 CRF150F mini motard
1979 KDX400 (yup, this was free too)
1982 KLT200 (Kermit)
1984 KLT200 (Miss Piggy)
2004 Gas Gas SM450

Yes, they are all still mine and in the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermizzle View Post
Dinky little rods that flop around make me sad
Dave T
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

October 30, 2014, 09:13 PM

light engine.... game over :/ it was good while it lasted.
Unread
  (#8)

October 30, 2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluhokie12 View Post
light engine.... game over :/ it was good while it lasted.

Upgrade time!!!!

Are the 90 inch TV's any good yet? I was looking at them a while back and the picture pretty much sucked. Maybe the 4K ones would be good.

Just trying to help you out...

Unread
  (#9)
Your Ad Here

October 30, 2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDawg View Post
Upgrade time!!!! Are the 90 inch TV's any good yet? I was looking at them a while back and the picture pretty much sucked. Maybe the 4K ones would be good. Just trying to help you out...
At the normal consumer price point level, no. You would have to be ready to move into the Sharp Elite / Runco price bracket to get a 90" TV with image quality that is equal to their <70" siblings.

My suggestion would be to get a good screen and HD projector if you want a >80" display at a reasonable price.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Last edited by Heist; October 31, 2014 at 02:12 AM..
Unread
  (#10)

October 31, 2014, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
At the normal consumer price point level, no. You would have to be ready to move into the Sharp Elite / Runco price bracket to get a 90" TV with image quality that is equal to their <70" siblings.

My suggestion would be to get a good screen and HD projector if you want a >80" display at a reasonable price.

<cough>

I have a 150 inch "screen" in my BatCave at home. Got the projector from BestBuy for about $1600. It's full HD quality and I'm pretty happen with about 2500 lumens. I was thinking more for the bedroom. hehehehe

Unread
  (#11)
Licensed Rider

October 31, 2014, 02:38 PM

We have a theater room in our house, and I use a $1,300 Epson projector with a ~90" fixed screen that I made for around $225. I absolutely love it and prefer it to an LCD, because it has a more theater feel.

2012 Kawasaki Ninja 650
Unread
  (#12)
Your Ad Here

October 31, 2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDawg View Post
<cough>

I have a 150 inch "screen" in my BatCave at home. Got the projector from BestBuy for about $1600. It's full HD quality and I'm pretty happen with about 2500 lumens. I was thinking more for the bedroom. hehehehe
Ah, ok. Then you already know. I am impressed with the new generation of LED projectors. The drawbacks of excess heat and bulb replacement are concerns of the past.

They can also put out lumens that make non-media room viewing achievable.

But you want a 90" in your bedroom?! Not to be nosey, but how big is your bedroom? Is it a Bedroom suite?

Unread
  (#13)

October 31, 2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Ah, ok. Then you already know. I am impressed with the new generation of LED projectors. The drawbacks of excess heat and bulb replacement are concerns of the past.

They can also put out lumens that make non-media room viewing achievable.

But you want a 90" in your bedroom?! Not to be nosey, but how big is your bedroom? Is it a Bedroom suite?

I'm kidding. We have a 50 inch tv in there on the wall currently. And yeah. It goes next to the trapeze.

Unread
  (#14)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

October 31, 2014, 06:25 PM

is input lag still an issue on projectors? I recall reasonably priced ones being pretty unsuitable for gaming as a result of the lag issue

WIth TV/movies/whatever, you can adjust to maintain the audio sync, but with games, making that adjustment screws you all up

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...