DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 523
5 members and 518 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle, GRN96WS6, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Nolo Contender

October 24, 2005, 09:21 PM

What do y'all have for HDTVs? I'm in the market for one. My price range is low @ $1K. I've been looking at 34" Sony Wegas used, 34" Panasonics new (can be had online for $1100 shipped). Because of space issues I can't really go with a rear projection setup. I'm kinda stuck with the 34" widescreens.

Any tips on places to buy in this area?

Regards,

Dave
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Aviator Send a message via AIM to Aviator  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

October 24, 2005, 09:40 PM

I love my 50" Samsung DLP. Best Buy and Circuit City have competitive prices with online places and if you ever have any problems it's easier to call or visit that store than to deal with someone online. There's also Tweeter, though I don't know how their prices are.

Katie 135
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Brooks  
Unread
  (#3)
Knee Draggin!

October 25, 2005, 07:03 AM

I've been kinda looking too, somewhat same boat w/ $ & space. Let us know what you get.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
TIMMEH!

October 25, 2005, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator
What do y'all have for HDTVs? I'm in the market for one. My price range is low @ $1K. I've been looking at 34" Sony Wegas used, 34" Panasonics new (can be had online for $1100 shipped). Because of space issues I can't really go with a rear projection setup. I'm kinda stuck with the 34" widescreens.

Regards,

Dave
The first thing I'd do is measure the space you have for a tv. I have a 44" Toshiba HD Widescreen Projection, and it's only about 22" deep. I think I got ours for around $1100 as well (but we got an excellent deal). Once you've measured the area (don't forget to factor in speakers, surround sound (if you want it) etc.) then I'd just go and try the usual places: Best Buy, Circuit City, Costco if you have a membership, and try to get a feel for what the market is about.

Now, if you want to wait about a month or so, you can get a GREAT deal usually the day after Thanksgiving...Be prepared for humongous crowds and pushing and shoving... But also, as we get closer to Christmas, you can start to get good deals as well!

Ninja636 says:
yes, dick is fun!
Ninja636 says:
OH WAIT....
Ninja636 says:
MAYBE I SHOULD REPHRASE THAT

LaoTzu: "I'll just let everyone know, Glade sprayed up the azz burns!"

(While Climbing, talking about his chalk bag)
Matt - "I like it around back where it hits me on the butt while I'm climbing. It's like 'Oooooh, what was that?'"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CFIGixx600  
Unread
  (#5)
B
It goes to 11.

October 25, 2005, 08:40 AM

Dave you are a big whore, a big cheap whore and I hate you!

If you want a nice cheap DLP, LCOS, or any other HDTV options check em out...based out of Sterling 13 minutes from my house.

www.7e4.com

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#6)
Knee Draggin!

October 25, 2005, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFIGixx600
I have a 44" Toshiba HD Widescreen Projection, and it's only about 22" deep. I think I got ours for around $1100 as well (but we got an excellent deal).
Where/when did you get that? I can't find anything under a 50" Projection, non-DLP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrben

If you want a nice cheap DLP, LCOS, or any other HDTV options check em out...based out of Sterling 13 minutes from my house.

www.7e4.com
Have you or anyone else bought anything from them?
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

October 25, 2005, 06:03 PM

Quote:

Regards,

Dave
cant you mount the projector on the ceiling. projector are great man specially for xbox.

Buell (American Motorcycles)
"Had enough rice? Try some apple pie."
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

October 25, 2005, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buell2001b
Quote:

Regards,

Dave
cant you mount the projector on the ceiling. projector are great man specially for xbox.
I think he means rear projector like in the traditional rear projection "big screen" tvs. Up untill DLP was released most big screen tvs were pretty deep from front to back. My DLP which is rear projection is 14" where most are almost 2 feet.

Katie 135
Unread
  (#9)
Nolo Contender

October 25, 2005, 06:36 PM

*IMHO* , unless you are willing to lay down some serious scratch for projectors (including prepping the wall) it is a wash. I mean, you can go HUGE, but the colors/contrast/sharpness won't approach something like DLP/Plasma/CRT. I want a CRT for the bright, crisp display. I wish I could afford a nice LCD/Plasma but this is a good compomise.

Quote:
Make something idiot proof and inevitably they will make a better idiot.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Aviator Send a message via AIM to Aviator  
Unread
  (#10)
TIMMEH!

October 26, 2005, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsR
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFIGixx600
I have a 44" Toshiba HD Widescreen Projection, and it's only about 22" deep. I think I got ours for around $1100 as well (but we got an excellent deal).
Where/when did you get that? I can't find anything under a 50" Projection, non-DLP.
I think I got mine back last October/November sometime at Best Buy. I got a great deal on mine because a friend of mine is an EMT, and the Reston Best Buy had a sale just for FFX/Loudoun LEO's, Firefighter's, and EMT's. So she got a certain percentage off of the perchase price...But I think it was only about $13-1400 before the discount. Here's a few links of some stuff I found online real fast:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-...oductDetail.do

This one is exactly like mine except bigger:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1110265591947

And this one is almost exactly like mine...But I think mine is a 44". The bottom part is a base that is extra...I bought a nice stand for about what they wanted for "their" stand:
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisi...sp?model=46h84

PM me if you want any more info! Oh, and just so you know, the picture quality is fantastic...Ninja636 and I spent many a friday afternoon playing PS2 on it, so he can vouch for that.

Tim

Ninja636 says:
yes, dick is fun!
Ninja636 says:
OH WAIT....
Ninja636 says:
MAYBE I SHOULD REPHRASE THAT

LaoTzu: "I'll just let everyone know, Glade sprayed up the azz burns!"

(While Climbing, talking about his chalk bag)
Matt - "I like it around back where it hits me on the butt while I'm climbing. It's like 'Oooooh, what was that?'"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CFIGixx600  
Unread
  (#11)
B
It goes to 11.

October 26, 2005, 08:43 AM

I bought a 50" samsung DLP from them...good service and all and a pretty good price too

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#12)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

October 26, 2005, 09:22 AM

ask Clemson Jeeper... we have a big ass Samsung DLP (I think) at the house and it is pretty nice. He does a lot of research on this.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#13)
Knee Draggin!

October 28, 2005, 06:56 AM

Any downfall besides SIZE to projection tv's? Like bulbs on LCD/DLP burning out.
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

October 28, 2005, 07:32 AM

I think most manufacturers claim anywhere from 6-10k hrs on bulb life. I just checked for the replacement cost on my hlp5063 bulb and it is $238. If you are looking to do some research before buying check out www.avsforum.com

Katie 135
Unread
  (#15)
Keep up!

October 28, 2005, 10:50 AM

Quote:

Regards,

Dave
I would check RCA screens as well, they have some 34/36" with built-in HD tuners on top of a built-in DirecTV recievers for about the same cost as ones you mentioned above. My uncle has a 36" and it has a great picture. I have the big boy RCA (about 3 yrs old now) as well as all my other TV's are RCA's as well and never had an issue with them.

Love the HD via the antenna as well Sat.