DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 528
1 members and 527 guests
TTViper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Headsup from a dumbass....and IT nerds in here please! (Raid 1/Raid 5 question too)
Unread
  (#1)
Nolo Contender

Exclamation Headsup from a dumbass....and IT nerds in here please! (Raid 1/Raid 5 question too) - April 3, 2007, 11:09 PM

Back up your shit NOW! I put off backing up my PC and last night the main harddrive took a shit. I'm screwed because the hd that failed was the one with all my photos, school essays, movies, games and a few hundred bucks in legally purchased music.

I'm getting some kind of I/O error message from the hd. I ran a diagnostic and it said "hd failure message 7" or something to that effect.

I have a 4gig drive that I use for photoshop, I re-installed windows on that. I can see the contents of the crashed hd, but I cannot access it for whatever reason. I tried turning on sharing to see if I could grab the files that way. What do you guys think is wrong? I can't seem to repair the previous installation and I don't want to lose the files (unless of course they are already lost).

To that end, I have been looking at the different Raid setups. I think with keeping a photo archive I want Raid 1. Any opinions on why Raid 5 or even 10 might be better?

I'm looking at two Seagate Barracuda drives for $84 each (320 gig). That would equal what I was working with before the crash.

Any insight much appreciated.

Quote:
Make something idiot proof and inevitably they will make a better idiot.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Aviator Send a message via AIM to Aviator  
Unread
  (#2)
Site ADMIN

April 4, 2007, 09:11 AM

RAID 0 - STRIPING NO PARITY
RAID 1 - MIRRORING
RAID 3 - STRIPING WITH A SINGLE PARITY DRIVE
RAID 5 - STRIPING WITH PARITY ACROSS ALL DRIVES

Or you can do like I did and buy this.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1164155964057

I have the 1 TB drive, but you can purchase size w/in your budget.

COPY...I say COPY all important data to it to eliminate Single Point of Failure (SPOF)

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#3)
Ling Long

April 4, 2007, 09:14 AM

Virtual storage and snapshot libraries.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#4)
Republicans for Voldemort

April 4, 2007, 09:31 AM

If I understand it correctly... You had two drives - one took a crap and you reinstalled windows on the 2nd... I would 1st off double check that the original drive is now jumpered as the slave.. If the two drives were totally independent of each other - this can prevent you from seeing your data...

As for Raid... It's sort of overkill on a home PC... You can run Raid1 - which requires a 2nd hard drive of the same size - and it keeps a total copy ie a mirror on the 2nd drive... but remember everytime you write to drive A - it must write to drive b - so there will be overhead

Raid 5 - you need 3 drives of the same size - and you can only use what's available on 2 drive - as the 3rd is the parity bit.... The parity bit is sort of like a memory dump - it knows and remembers what is written on both drives - so if one drive takes a crap - it will take all the data and make sure it's on the other 2 drives....

You can use mirroring within windows - but it can get a tad messy .... In either case - it's best to use a hardware based solution - which controlls what disks are used for what - it's nicer - but you need an additional disk controller card if it's NOT on the current motherboard....

I am a IT Geek - and I don't use any raid on my home PC's - as I honestly think it's a tad overkill - and as I keep upgrading - I would keep haveing to redo my set up on a regular basis - bleah!! . Then again, I can also rebuild my OS without a big deal either.... I actually copy my data to an external pc (or you can use a portable harddrive) via backup sofware... This way if my stuff takes a dump... I rebuild the pc - reinstall my software (if you have image software like Ghost it's far easier) and dump my data back down on it...

If you want to get real technical - I now use VMWare (they have a free server product) and I use their free p2v product (Physical to Virtual)... I basically have XP installed on a machine - and I use VMWare to run a virtual instance where all my stuff installed (I p2v'd my last machine) - this way my total PC is only 4-6 files (They are pretty big tho).. This way if I lose my chit... I built windows - install VMWare - and dump my virtual files back - and I have my whole OS running with little fuss...

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider  
Unread
  (#5)
Red Sox Nation

April 4, 2007, 09:57 AM

RAID is certainly overkill at home... depending on what you do. I do Adminstration as side work and have a few clients so I really can't afford to lose my password, ip, network diagrams, etc... documents and what not because if I did and their machines sh*t it would be hell figuring out how to restore everything. The best thing to do is to get an external storage (I went with the Buffalo LinkStation 500G NAS) device and simply run a Windows backup onto it. Alternatively, just buy a second internal hard drive and slap it in your pc and backup to that. Same difference. Backing up your system is an easy process that people fail to do.

Yankees Suck
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to -yz-