DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 549
5 members and 544 guests
beatle, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle, shiphteey, Toecutter
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Help with 99 ranger
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

Help with 99 ranger - October 24, 2012, 07:33 PM

I've got a 99 ranger with 109k on the clock. Bought it at 103 and had johhnys shop check it out, everything was good. Then when he left, we took it to a Ford dealer in sterling to get the oil change and have them take a once over, again everything checked out fine, this was at about 107k miles.

We usually park the ranger on the street and it sits mostly, only really gets driven on the weekends, and usually only longer highway trips with the bikes etc. But recently its been parked in the driveway, and i started noticing oil spots, at first dint really think too much of it but then noticed it more and more. So looked under the truck quickly and looked like a drop of oil was coming from the drain plug, i thoug no biggie they prob didnt replace the crush washer. So we brought it to ford and asked if they could take a look.

Here's where i need your help, they wanted $1600 and said there are many leaks, oil pan gasket is sticking out, rear main seal, and crank seal. Now heres where i get a bit irritated, is it possible that these all happened within the last 2k miles or did the shops just do a half assed job looking at the truck since its old? And is it possible that ford put in too light weight of an oil that caused the leaks? I took a look at the dipstick and oil level looked fine, however ford is saying it was a qt low.

Either way i now need to fix the problems and was wondering if anyone could lend a hand? I am ok with a wrench, but would definitely feel more comfortable working with someone more knowledgeable. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Stop light racer...

October 24, 2012, 07:56 PM

Tip: Stop going to the dealership (stealership) * They are there to make money, and love people with used vehicles...

What you really need to do is determine where the actual oil is coming from: --Clean everything with degreaser
-Place cardboard under the truck/engine
-run the engine without driving/moving it for 10 or so minutes...
-Then let it sit. come back the next day and see where the oil drips are located.
= Front of engine, Rear of engine, Tranny, Power Steering Lines/Pump?

* Yes it is possible/probable the dealership put synthetic oil in the engine which 'has been said' to squeeze through smaller spaces then Dino Oil, and thus leak... But the real problem is worn gaskets...

- Norway Daily, 90' VFR750, V4 Touring Beast
- USA Daily, 08' Versys - Urban Assault vehicle
- Toy, 02' Ducati 900ss - Loud and angry noises
- Toy, 89' FZR600 - Raw Inline Deathbox
- Project, 91' CB250 - Goal: lightweight city bike
- Project, 79' CB350 - Finally runs, now to finish

- Sold, Red 94' VS800 - Loud as F@*$
* R.I.P. Blue 06' SV650, murdered by DC!
* R.I.P. Black 98' FZR600, murdered by DC!
- Sold, Red 81' GS650
- Sold, Black 81' CM400T

Last edited by pnbell; October 24, 2012 at 08:06 PM..
Unread
  (#3)
Meh

October 24, 2012, 08:26 PM

+1

Clean up the underside and run the car. ID the oil leaks and fix accordingly.

Did you recently swap over to synthetic?
Unread
  (#4)
GP Racer

October 24, 2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch View Post
+1

Clean up the underside and run the car. ID the oil leaks and fix accordingly.

Did you recently swap over to synthetic?
Thanks for the help guys, i'll clean up the bottom of the truck tom. I don't know if the ford dealer put in synthetic, just know they used 5w20. I know its my fault bringing it to the stealership, i was just lazy and didn't want to work on the truck. Live and learn i guess.
Unread
  (#5)
Meh

October 24, 2012, 09:21 PM

Worst case, have a leak test done once you clean up the underside.

Dye and a UV light will tell you exactly what you need to know.
Unread
  (#6)
Give me the Ban Button!

October 24, 2012, 09:37 PM

Climb under there and look at it. You should be able to see if the oil pan gasket is pushed out or not. All shops are in the business of making money. Anybody who tells you different hasn't spent time in the industry. Sitting is the worse thing for any vehicle. stuff dries out and it starts to leak.

Do what everybody else said and look at it yourself and see if you can figure out where the oil is coming from.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#7)
unapologetic

October 24, 2012, 11:18 PM

Spray brake cleaner on a rag and get the area around the drain plug really clean.
Check for seepage in a day or two. If it is leaking, change the oil, make sure the shop uses a new crush washer. Ask them to have the tech spray down and clean the oil pan and rear seal area down with some brake cleaner as well, offer to throw them a couple of tenths of labor to do it. Get a peek at what it looks like when you park it again. Don't waste your time with cardboard, the first time it rains you won't want to go and get it to throw it away and it clogs up rain drains in streets really badly.

Next time the truck needs an oil change, take it back to the same shop and have them take a peek at where they sprayed to clean and see if there are any leaks. Rotate your tires to make them last and show the shop that you aren't afraid of knowing how to maintain your car. If they notice lots of seals leaking, get a written estimate and take it home to think about it.

Shops recommend that you replace ALL of the major seals at the same time because nobody wants to eat multiple leaks on a car or start chasing mystery stains. Leak repairs usually start high up and work back and down. It can cost a lot of money, so have a limit you are ready to spend and stick to it.

In today's automotive repair world, the more you INSTRUCT them to help you figure out a problem, the less likely you will be to having them scare you into believing you have one.

Good luck. Stop using synthetic oil, start using an oil treatment and change your oil regularly. Seals usually go bad from water and acid build up in the oil. Especially if they are all popping around the same time.

"ride on #47, ride on"

on the internet you can be anyone you want, it's strange that so many people choose to be so stupid
Unread
  (#8)
GP Racer

October 25, 2012, 09:47 AM

If you are close by Chantilly/South Riding, bring it by and we can put it up in the air and look at it together. I'll PM you my cell number.

M.A.R.R.C. Cornerworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHiriser
It takes a special kind of crazy to stand on a corner/on track dodging motorcycles for free.