DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 580
1 members and 579 guests
GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Help on buying used car that isn't paid off yet.
Unread
  (#1)
I use my turn signal

Help on buying used car that isn't paid off yet. - March 13, 2012, 02:27 AM

Ok guys I have a few questions and need some advice. Here's my scenario:

I sold my car about 2 weeks ago to a guy from woodbridge, it was a private sale and he gave me a certified check for $15k. I signed off title to him and wrote out a bill of sale. All said and done.

I'm set on getting an Audi a4 and after checking out a few I've found the right one. The seller has been a member of the audi/vw forum I found it on (vwvortex) for a while and has about 2,000 posts. Me and him have been texting back and forth and he answers all my questions about the car thoroughly and has been honest. He seems like a real cool dude and I do not feel sketched out at all. Carfax was clean, car looks great, etc.

Here's the issue. His asking price was $15k, which works out perfect. He still owes just short of $6,000 on the car and does not have the title. He says that he bought the car through Audi directly and he called about exactly how we would work this out. He said that I would need to send a bank certified check to Audi in Libertyville, Illinois for exactly what he owes so that it is paid off ($5,940.84). They will mail me the title directly to my house and once I get it I can meet with him to give him a check for the remainder ($9,059.16) and get the car. I want to make sure this isn't sketchy and I'm just paying off some random guy's loan. I will obviously call them beforehand and make sure everything checks out and make sure they have my address to mail the title and I have theirs to mail the check to. I just have never done this so any help is appreciated. Thanks guys

2005 Kawasaki ZX6R (636)
1973 Honda CB350F
1981 BMW R65
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Knarly Adventurer

March 13, 2012, 05:20 AM

I have done this a number of times. It's always a sketchy situation but usually legit, just seems weird. You need something in return for you money...the car. In my experience I give the seller 2 checks. One fit the payoff and one god we he nets from the sale. The pay off check goes directly to the bank, and we mail it together do there is no question. I make photo copies of all docs and a very detailed bill of sale. Then u drive the car home. He has the money.. I gave the car. The car is pretty much worthless with out the title and vice versa. He has no reason to with hold the clear title cause he has no car to go with it. That's what I do and it has always worked.

Everytime you cook up...a little boy gets crushed by a bridge. -JTG40cal

2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 Scrambler SOLD
2007 ZX14 SOLD
2005 R1 SOLD
1999 ZRX SOLD
1996 FZR SOLD
Unread
  (#3)
Mojito Anyone?

March 13, 2012, 06:58 AM

Whats the members name on vortex... I know a good number of local audi drivers on there..

ay ya yay
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to onel0wcubn Send a message via AIM to onel0wcubn  
Unread
  (#4)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

March 13, 2012, 07:09 AM

Jester is 100% spot on (shocker, car salesman).

Make sure you get a well detailed BOS and get it notarized (not required but having it helps in case things get stupid).

When you hand over the checks, he hands over the car. done.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#5)
Railing!

March 13, 2012, 07:24 AM

I like what Dark and Wildjester are saying, I have always wondered this myself on cars and bikes, the one time I sold a bike with a lien on it, we met at my bank, he paid off the loan, got the lien release and title right on the spot and towed the bike home. But with a car, it's a bit different since you're usually driving it home, not towing it, how do you get it home? Ask the seller to leave tags and insurance on it???
Unread
  (#6)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

March 13, 2012, 07:27 AM

When I bought my bike I did what wj suggested. One check to the bank, overage to seller

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#7)
to be continued......

March 13, 2012, 07:51 AM

I agree with doing two checks. The problem you might come across which we come across all the time at the dealership I work at is we pay off the vehicle and they send the dam title to the customer and it takes forever for us to get it from the customer. I would send the pay off check to the bank . once you have the title meet up with the guy and pay him the balance.. that way you dont get screwed.. good luck

Marrc Safety Crew
http://www.marrc.org/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Newgirlie Send a message via AIM to Newgirlie  
Unread
  (#8)
I use my turn signal

March 13, 2012, 03:18 PM

He lives in New Jersey. He said if I mail in the payoff check to Audi they will mail me the title to my house in VA. Then me and him meet up half way to give me the car and for me to give him the rest of the balance in another check. That sounds good??? I can't meet him at his bank or anything because he went through Audi directly and they have the title in Illinois supposedly.

2005 Kawasaki ZX6R (636)
1973 Honda CB350F
1981 BMW R65
Unread
  (#9)
turn or crash....

March 13, 2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pDubs View Post
He lives in New Jersey. He said if I mail in the payoff check to Audi they will mail me the title to my house in VA. Then me and him meet up half way to give me the car and for me to give him the rest of the balance in another check. That sounds good??? I can't meet him at his bank or anything because he went through Audi directly and they have the title in Illinois supposedly.
At a minimum I'd mail the check to Audi when I had the keys in my hand. That way you know you have the car, also have a BOS signed and notarized, along with some sort of sale letter as to what happens if the title get's sent to him.(ie how soon it should be mailed to you etc.) Just get everything signed notarized to cover your ass. You should be able to insure it with just the VIN #, now that won't get you tags and not sure what insurance would do if you drove it home like that..

- djkouza
############
Bikes: I might own one...
############
djkouza - XBOX

Last edited by djkouza; March 13, 2012 at 03:27 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to djkouza  
Unread
  (#10)
Traction Control

March 13, 2012, 06:56 PM

I sold my audi last year the same way. U should be fine. But mmake sure u protect urself. Dont just give a stranger 15k and hope for the title. My buyer gave me all except for 1000 until he got the title from me

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#11)
to be continued......

March 14, 2012, 09:34 AM

You just have to make sure audi is going to mail the title to you and not him.... it happens here all the time even though our check says to mail title to us the dam bank still mail to customer.. yes do not mail the check to that customer.. i would get all documents notarized. just be careful..

Marrc Safety Crew
http://www.marrc.org/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Newgirlie Send a message via AIM to Newgirlie  
Unread
  (#12)
SPANNERWRENCHCLICKCLICK

March 15, 2012, 12:29 PM

Most people on vortex are a bunch of douchebags and really dont take care of their car...

i would find something else honestly...Now im not SAYING every single one of them are. but for about 90% of them that stands ^^^

[SIGPIC]http://www.griseldaonline.it/foto/6galleria/tradimenti/warhol%20last%20supper%201986.jpg[/SIGPIC]The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.

Unread
  (#13)
Site ADMIN

March 15, 2012, 01:11 PM

2 checks buddy. car keys in hand.. best way IMO

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#14)
( * )|( * )

March 15, 2012, 02:31 PM

(I did this once before) Have whoever has his lien provide a copy of the title and get proof of insurance as well. You can then verify this with the DMV (match the title number and VIN) and have your bank wire the money so that you have all the accounting information and your bank will also verify the account info as well. Once that is done, you can cut him the second check and you should be set.

Good luck

Good luck!

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year