DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 599
0 members and 599 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Help me choose a first rifle:
Unread
  (#1)
Popplers!

Help me choose a first rifle: - November 17, 2007, 10:05 AM

I've never shot a rifle before; but I've shot a 12 gauge and 22gauge shotgun before.

I'm having a hard time between chosing a .22lr and a .243. From what I've read; but are great starters. I'd prefer to grow into the gun, the .22lr seems like I wouldn't be able to. The .243 would also allow me to hunt (which I never plan on doing, but it would help with resale).

So what do you guys think of this:

1. Savage 11FYCXP3 .243- http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5057211

2. CZ 452 .22lr-
http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=6

I plan on primarily target shooting, I'm not thinking about competition right now; I really don't know how to properly shoot. I'm also trying to figure out which NRA course is for gun safety, and possibly an MSF equivalent to gun technique.

Thanks!

EDIT: I also realize I typed choose wrong. Damn typos.

Last edited by karrotx; November 17, 2007 at 10:17 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

November 17, 2007, 10:24 AM

Have you thought of 17 HMR? I got one for my son and I really like it. Looks like a scaled down .223.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#3)
You betcha

November 17, 2007, 10:27 AM

I would highly recomend a 22lr for target shooting. I love the 22lr and i have been shooting for 15yrs, at one point on a rifle team. They are great to learn on, and after learning they are still the most fun imho. You might wanna check out the ruger 10/22, it comes pretty basic and accurate, but have a huge aftermarket, ie target barrels, stocks, trigger kits.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to yellowsv  
Unread
  (#4)
BE ENCOURAGED!

November 17, 2007, 11:22 AM

First off, there is a HUGE differnce between a .22lr cartridge and a .243.

If you are seriously using it to learn to become a better marksman I suggest going to a pawn shop and picking up a hardly used .22lLR and practicing with it. A lot of people buy .22LR as training guns for their kids to learn on to hunt then pawn them later. They can be had often with less than 500 rounds through the barrel, but broke in and for about 1/3 the new retail price. I have bought a lot of guns from pawn shops that are hardly used and in great condition. They still do the backround check and you have a receipt, so you are covered should any weapon you buy from one come up in a crime search.

Also .22LR ammo is very easy to aqcuire and is priced right for targeting shootig. Just be aware that the very cheap .22LR ammo often has a lot of dud's and you will spend a lot of time clearing misfires. I recommend buying the better ammo, but not the competiton stuff until you are ready to compete if ever.

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#5)
Now with a TBSP of love

November 17, 2007, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUZZLER

If you are seriously using it to learn to become a better marksman I suggest going to a pawn shop and picking up a hardly used .22lLR and practicing with it. A lot of people buy .22LR as training guns for their kids to learn on to hunt then pawn them later. They can be had often with less than 500 rounds through the barrel, but broke in and for about 1/3 the new retail price. I have bought a lot of guns from pawn shops that are hardly used and in great condition. They still do the backround check and you have a receipt, so you are covered should any weapon you buy from one come up in a crime search.

Also .22LR ammo is very easy to aqcuire and is priced right for targeting shootig. Just be aware that the very cheap .22LR ammo often has a lot of dud's and you will spend a lot of time clearing misfires. I recommend buying the better ammo, but not the competiton stuff until you are ready to compete if ever.
+1

On a side note, that Savage is a centerfire rifle; which means you'll be paying alot more for ammo.

*************Edit***********

Also, unless you're positive you want a bolt action, this one might be another choice: http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firear...oading/60.aspx

Last edited by Spiritnblk; November 17, 2007 at 11:40 AM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Spiritnblk  
Unread
  (#6)
Officially Addicted to Posting

November 17, 2007, 11:40 AM

Barrett M82

"I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." -MG James Mattis, Iraq 2003

Ruining .net one post at a time™
Unread
  (#7)
Now with a TBSP of love

November 17, 2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2
Barrett M82
you buying?
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Spiritnblk  
Unread
  (#8)
BE ENCOURAGED!

November 17, 2007, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2
Barrett M82
"50 ways to leave your lover"

Not to whore up your thread, but I would like to add one more thing. Not that you asked but.....

Not only do I HIGHLY recopmmend a .22LR as a markmanship training rifle, but if you are serious about becoming an ironsight bullseye shooter, I recommend a bolt action rifle with a low to no magazine capacity.

This will make you take your time shooting, one at a time. Help you learn target reacqusition and it will become a habit in your mind.

I also recommend learning from a standing position with NO scope of any type. Don't be tempted to learn using a bench rest either. All these things will help you create a more solid shooting foundation that won't have "cheater" bad habits that have to be corrected later.

Well anyways. Good luck with this. I hope some of this info helps you.

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#9)
Like a clown car on fire

November 17, 2007, 12:33 PM

Another vote for 22LR. It's perfect for plinking away at targets, ammo is the cheapest you can get, no recoil, low noise. Perfect for beginners and enthusiasts alike. I shot competitively with 22LR for a couple of years, and you can definetely grow into the sport with that round, all the way into match grade competition rounds and rifles.

The ruger 10/22 is really the most basic and popular small 22 rifle, semi auto, tons of accessories (barrels, stocks, slings, bipods,etc.) out there for it so you can make it your own as you grow into it. Play with that for a while and then if you want to, move up into a centerfire rifle for hunting purposes or longer range target shooting, or simply get a more accurate 22LR for more serious target shooting.

Guzz is totally right about starting with no aids so you don't become reliant upon them. Start with iron sights, blade then peep, then jump up to a scope once you have good habits down. learn to shoot offhand (standing), kneeling and prone, no rests, bipods, or slings, then move up to them as you prefer. you want them to be aids, not crutches. good luck.

-Chloroform-
For when she doesn't know she wants it.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Thwack  
Unread
  (#10)
whats in your drink?

Location: Mineral VA. If you know where it is you can pass go
November 17, 2007, 12:35 PM

Take Guzzeys word!!!! 22lr rounds are bye far the cheapest stuff out there!!!
Ten bucks can give hours of plincking. Use WallMart of all places for your rounds if you cant wait a few days for an interweb order.

Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya!
X
Take care of new riders, we were them, and they will be us.
Unread
  (#11)
a.k.a. Batman?

November 17, 2007, 04:28 PM

7mm

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Madman  
Unread
  (#12)
Face Down @$$ UP

November 17, 2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUZZLER

+2..
Also, if you do your own reloads, having to worry about light loads, primer malfunctions, and other hang-fire problems, shouldn't be that bad. Easy and cheap to do. Wish reloading my .50cal BMG rounds were atleast 20% as cheap as any rim-fire round.

"If brains were gas. You wouldnt have enough gas, to drive a piss-ants' motorcycle, half-way around a BB."
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to WvGoDFather Send a message via MSN to WvGoDFather  
Unread
  (#13)
Knee Draggin!

November 17, 2007, 07:37 PM

+1 .22LR

Still not sure how all these other crazy calibers came into play when we are talking about a new shooter. If someone is looking for advice lets keep it real. .50 BMG come on...
Unread
  (#14)
Popplers!

November 18, 2007, 12:12 AM

I went to Dicks Sporting Goods and looked at a few .22lr's and a few .243. I think I have my mind set on the .243. I'd love to fire each, does anyone know of a range that rents these two? Or if you have either and would br willing to lend a hand?

I know, I know....everyones saying .22lr. I felt more comfortable with the .243 than I did with the .22lr. I feel like this is a 250 vs. 600 debate; I know I don't want to overstep my skills but I feel like the .243 is better for me.
Unread
  (#15)
Have Bikes - Will Travel

November 18, 2007, 09:24 AM

.22 LR FTW.

The Ruger 10/22 is an inexpensive rifle with a huge aftermarket but the triggers really suck out of the box. The trigger is just about the most important part of any firearm when it comes to shooting accurately.

While I haven't owned any CZs I've only read good things about them.

-Hugh

“I’ll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one.”
http://www.twowheelsgood.net