DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 563
4 members and 559 guests
2blueyam, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Help me understand this guitar TAB
Unread
  (#1)
I'm an Asshole

Help me understand this guitar TAB - July 3, 2006, 08:05 PM

I've been teaching myself guitar for going on 2 months. And When looking at tabs, I've had one thing continuously bother me. Two notes that should be strummed together, but with a string in between them that should not be touched. Look at this tab for the idea.

Otherside - Chillpeppers
http://guitar.about.com/gi/dynamic/o.../otherside.txt

Specifically
Code:
Guitar 1 
E--------------------------------------------------------
B--------------------------------------------------------
G------------------2---2---4---2------------------------- 
D----2--2--2------------------------5---2--2-----0---0---
A----0-------------3-------------------------------------
E------------------------------------------0---------3---
See at the 4th strum you're supposed to hit the 5th string 3rd fret and the 3rd string 2nd fret WITHOUT TOUCHING the 4th string. How is this possible? Is it a typo? Am I supposed to "deaden" the 4th string by lightly placing a finger on it?

Also, give me some easy songs to learn. Cause the intro to daughters is getting pretty old and its not impressing my family members anymore.

If you can read this, give me a red dot
If you get mad when I type, do us both a favor.

Some recent rep I have been given:
-U-R-Gay (unsigned)
-you dont even ride you troll (unsigned)
-you are now 115% gay, ghey, and ghay (unsigned)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to griffindj Send a message via Skype™ to griffindj 
Unread
  (#2)
GP Racer

July 3, 2006, 08:09 PM

Finger picking....pluck one string with your thumb and the other with your first or second finger...it's common in acoustical stuff

2006 Black ZX-10
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
I'm an Asshole

July 3, 2006, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flylan
Finger picking....pluck one string with your thumb and the other with your first or second finger...it's common in acoustical stuff
Ah, got it, thanks man.

Since I'm not to the finger-picking level, i'll have to stay away from those songs for now.

If you can read this, give me a red dot
If you get mad when I type, do us both a favor.

Some recent rep I have been given:
-U-R-Gay (unsigned)
-you dont even ride you troll (unsigned)
-you are now 115% gay, ghey, and ghay (unsigned)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to griffindj Send a message via Skype™ to griffindj 
Unread
  (#4)
GP Racer

July 3, 2006, 08:14 PM

practice, practice, practice...just give it a shot!!

2006 Black ZX-10
Unread
  (#5)
DCSB.net NC division

July 4, 2006, 06:24 AM

next up, finger tapping! lol

i've actually seen some eddie van halen stuff converted to tabletures.. rather insane really

'04 CBR1000RR and lots of Volvos (and now a new Tundra for hauling them around when they all break)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to boostdemon Send a message via Yahoo to boostdemon Send a message via AIM to boostdemon Send a message via MSN to boostdemon  
Unread
  (#6)
B
It goes to 11.

July 4, 2006, 09:43 AM

No no, finger tapping harmonics off the fret board...

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#7)
Happiness Consultant

Cool July 26, 2006, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffindj
Also, give me some easy songs to learn. Cause the intro to daughters is getting pretty old and its not impressing my family members anymore.
not being able to finish a song won't impress anyone. how about learning that whole song?

you want easy - Twist and Shout by the Beatles

three chords, D, A, G - you can throw an A7 in to make it interesting

or you can practice your spanish and play La Bamba

three chords again, C, F, G - dont worry about the intro til u can play the whole song.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to EduardoSuave  
Unread
  (#8)
Happiness Consultant

July 27, 2006, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffindj
Specifically
Code:
Guitar 1 
E--------------------------------------------------------
B--------------------------------------------------------
G------------------2---2---4---2------------------------- 
D----2--2--2------------------------5---2--2-----0---0---
A----0-------------3-------------------------------------
E------------------------------------------0---------3---
See at the 4th strum you're supposed to hit the 5th string 3rd fret and the 3rd string 2nd fret WITHOUT TOUCHING the 4th string. How is this possible? Is it a typo? Am I supposed to "deaden" the 4th string by lightly placing a finger on it?
if you were to deaden the 4th string, peeps usually put an X over it.

use the pick to hit the C (2nd string, 3rd fret) and your middle finger to pluck the A (4th string, 2nd fred) AT THE SAME TIME.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--
"Never contract friendship with a man that is not better than thyself." - Confucius

Will pay to see this
whatever henry's name is these days: jason, seriously, im going to kick your face in when I get back
Unread
  (#9)
Knee Draggin!

July 27, 2006, 01:22 AM

u can just strum all three guitar strings at once and deaden the middle string with the finger ur using to hit that third fret (doesnt really matter which finger u use... whatever's comfortable or can reach the string to touch it).

what ed said works too... i guess it just depends how clean of a sound you want.

i dont care

Last edited by BJtheFlip; July 27, 2006 at 01:27 AM..
Unread
  (#10)
Cruisin the Autobahn

July 27, 2006, 06:47 PM

http://www.chopsfromhell.com/guest_columnists.html

not for the faint of heart or the easily frustrated

get a metronome, then practice, practice, practice! i like chops from hell becuase there's such a wide sampling of styles presented, and none of the lessons are long. some will help with your string muting/string skipping/hitting two notes while muting the ones in between. good luck!

EDIT: Mike Campese is one of my favorites - check out his "Etude" for a cool little tune to practice on

'05 Ninja 500R - SOLD

Last edited by tchristesen; July 27, 2006 at 07:32 PM..
Unread
  (#11)
Happiness Consultant

July 27, 2006, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchristesen

very cool site.

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--

Will pay to see this
Unread
  (#12)
Retired to most ...

July 27, 2006, 07:51 PM

Pretty much what Ed said. Outside is played with finger picking but can be done with the pick if you do like Ed said and pick the lower string with the pick and pluck the upper string with your finger.

Easy songs depends on what style you want to play and I also agree that you need to learn a song all the way through untill you have it perfect.

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#13)
Happiness Consultant

Cool July 27, 2006, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchristesen

EDIT: Mike Campese is one of my favorites - check out his "Etude" for a cool little tune to practice on
thanks for the site dude. this is actually a pretty cool tune, I got the first measure down and it got me thinking about something.

You don't know how many times I go into Guitar Center and there's some kid wailing away trying to do EVH's Eruption or something along those lines. I actually asked one of the employees if thats common and he was like 'yeah we get that all the time'

I have to wonder what's the point? EVH already did it.

I've never been a 'learn a song note for note' kind of guy (I even changed up the 'ETUDE' song). I've jammed with a lot of guys over the past 20 years of playing and one of the things that made me get away from playing with the 'note for note' guys is their lack of what I call soul. Don't get me wrong, those dudes could seriously shred, but what good is shredding when you've got no soul? Rocking out without feeling never works - if you're audience can't feel what you play - they get bored and leave.

I wish I knew of a way to teach people how to have soul - there would be a lot more awesome musicians out there and we wouldn't have to listen to the horrid mass of puke that spews from the radio these days.

anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is IMHO the chops from hell website will get you technically good, but having soul and feeling will get you noticed.

rock on

DBR
#135, #47, Vega
--

Will pay to see this
Unread
  (#14)
Cruisin the Autobahn

July 28, 2006, 09:14 AM

yeah yeah i hear that - i used to be VERY technically-minded and focused on going faster and faster - there was little "feeling" to it. HOWEVER, once i broke out of that phase and got more into trying to play stuff with more musicality to it, i found that having that intense technical background really helped...the key is to break out - no one wants another Yngwie (hell, one of him is too much to handle).

i would say the secret to learning how to groove, how to feel a song, how to make it really fly instead of sounding static is to play with a drummer. it wasn't until my brother started playing drums that i learned to appreciate what does/does not work outside of the practice room. you can practice on a few licks for hours on end, but once you hit the stage, you're gonna bore the hell out of people if you can't move beyond those 16th note runs...people start to think, "yeah that's pretty cool, but how is that a song? show me something else."

learning to play a song note for note is not the answer - learning to write one is. a lot of kids don't get this, prob never will. it's those kids who sit at guitar center trying to impress people with the same old tired riffs - look, i can tap, i can sweep, i can play every dream theater song ever! cool dude, you and 19018490813 other people - now move me.

'05 Ninja 500R - SOLD
Unread
  (#15)
B
It goes to 11.

July 28, 2006, 01:19 PM

dude, get an electric, a grunge pedal, and a phaze box and go to town. Fuck playing other peoples shit...

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B