DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 562
3 members and 559 guests
davidcycle, Sal_the_man, Speed3
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Help!! Need advise from some pet owners..
Unread
  (#1)
a.k.a. Batman?

Help!! Need advise from some pet owners.. - June 20, 2008, 09:03 AM

I have a 4 month old rott. Great dog, well behaved and mild mannered. I also have a 10 month old cat who is kind of a bitch. She taunts the dog a lot. She'll pounce on his head or run by and swat at him. It was cute when he only weighed 10 lbs or so but now thats changing. The dog listens when I tell him to leave her alone but when she taunts him or I'm not watching him he gets a hold of her. He has started using her as a chew toy. He is just playing but she is starting to look a little rough. The other day he grabbed her by the head. Soon he'll be strong enough to cause some serious damage, if he's not already.

I want to keep the cat and the dog isn't going anywhere, but i'm worried about the cat. To those of you out there with both, how do you make it work?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg him.jpg (260.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg her.jpg (257.7 KB, 11 views)

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Madman  
Unread
  (#2)
BE ENCOURAGED!

June 20, 2008, 09:11 AM

I have 3 German Shepards & and a Husky/Golden Retriever Mix. I had the same experiences with my dogs and the cat when they were younger. It concerned me, but puppies like to put everything in thier mouth. When my cat got sick of it I knew because I have never heard dogs screech so loud as when they get a cat claw swipe thier nose. From the day the cat stands up to the dog, they have avoided the cat and lived in harmony. I am not saying this will 100% work out the same for you, but I wouldnt start to panic yet. Just know your cat might start hiding under things for a while to avoid the dog. That's normal.

Good Luck.

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#3)
Triple Secks

June 20, 2008, 09:12 AM

same thing happened with my dogs. I have 2 Australian shepherds, so they LOVE to herd. The cat would always start shit he couldnt finish.

It wasnt bad because our older aussie is small for the breed(30lbs). The cat is huge, at 18-20lbs. Not too bad. till we added our second aussie, who grew to be 48lbs.

Their favorite thing was to chase the cat up the stairs and into his room. For awhile we had a spare room with a baby gate setup - that ws the cats room and safe place.

Eventually our newest dog hurt his leg chasing the cat up the stairs, the stairs have no back to them(open i guess). It was just a sprain. Eventually we gave the cat to my wifes parents. They are huge cat people, leave in bumfuck, have a pet door, and tons of yard space. He is much happier there than he was with us. Always in doors, and getting his ass kicked by 2 dogs.

pic of my kitty;

I believe i can see the future;
because everyday i repeat the
same routine.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Meh

June 20, 2008, 09:14 AM

You need to catch him in the act and put him in a submissive state when he does it. He is viewing the catch as his play toy and the cat needs to be viewed as your property and not to be played with.

Submit him and don't let him up when he does it. Hold the cat at the same time and don't even let the dog sniff it. Once the dog has completely submitted, he may get up but not sniff the cat. The cat is off limits until you invite the dog to sniff the cat.
Unread
  (#5)
Elite Racing

June 20, 2008, 09:15 AM

Give it a bit more time....they'll figure out their rolls in the house....and their boundaries with each other.

Chris
Elite Racing
CCS AM #458

Godspeed Bam Bam

VFR Matt: gotta be a winner at something. Cant reach for the stars mind well be king of suck
tecknojoe: we could get together at my house and mount my trailor
vonstallin: whack one off 4 me henrey
thefitzvh: I'm the assholist asshole that ever assholed
Unread
  (#6)
Nubbs ban yourself!

June 20, 2008, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman
I have a 4 month old rott. Great dog, well behaved and mild mannered. I also have a 10 month old cat who is kind of a bitch. She taunts the dog a lot. She'll pounce on his head or run by and swat at him. It was cute when he only weighed 10 lbs or so but now thats changing. The dog listens when I tell him to leave her alone but when she taunts him or I'm not watching him he gets a hold of her. He has started using her as a chew toy. He is just playing but she is starting to look a little rough. The other day he grabbed her by the head. Soon he'll be strong enough to cause some serious damage, if he's not already.

I want to keep the cat and the dog isn't going anywhere, but i'm worried about the cat. To those of you out there with both, how do you make it work?
I have had German Shepherds and cats that got along even with some occasional taunting by the cat my Shep would let the cat hang by its claws on her neck.
Other dogs i have owned never got use to them and the cat eventually learned to stay away.
If he really wanted to kill it he could have already, I'm sure!
I have seen reports that the rott has the strongest jaw strength of all dogs. That is comparing rotts, german sheps and pitt with pitts being the least of the 3. Average 320psi.

All good training advise has already been given.
good luck, it only takes a second and those jaws will finish the job! I saw my present Shep grab a rabbit and that was over quick!

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm

Last edited by n2sport; June 20, 2008 at 09:19 AM..
Unread
  (#7)
Triple Secks

June 20, 2008, 09:19 AM

Something that worried me a lot about my 2nd dog when he was a pupyy, is he went for the throat all the time when he was wrestling with my older dog. He rarely does it now, he kind of grew out of it.

I believe i can see the future;
because everyday i repeat the
same routine.
Unread
  (#8)
Snow Whore

June 20, 2008, 09:24 AM

I have a cat that thinks he is a dog, had him first so every pup was brought in 'under his roof'. Every dog has gone through that phase with the cat and the cat still starts sh1t. With both large dogs I have been able to catch them pulling the cat by the tail or something like that where the cat screeched a little. I made it very clear to both dogs at that point that the cat was not a chew toy (smack nose, yell, talk stern, whatever works). The point is the dominance and even to a point of submission as pointed out above. Dogs think in terms of the pack, you just need to make sure the dog doesn't think he is head of the pack and the cat is part of that pack too.

Like a few have said, the cat will learn to stay away as well, the cat will tear that pup up one day and the pup will always remember that scratch. The best thing for me is to watch the cat to this day get in the middle of the dogs when they get going crazy growling and he runs in to woop some ass. They respect him enough to stop.

Note that my dogs have NEVER shown aggression towards the cat. if you see that, then the cat or dog needs to go, because the worst will happen eventually.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dblrr900  
Unread
  (#9)
TEAM.SUKUZI

June 20, 2008, 09:29 AM

HEY! I'm not the only one who got a rott and a kitty at the same time~ It's all cute and friendly at first, then the rott gets too big and too strong. Anyhow, castle is right, give it more time and they'll figure their rolls and boundries...2 years later, they don't even play or go near each other..passing by each other like the other doesn't exist. -but as far as problems...no problems at all.

sex addict