DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 532
1 members and 531 guests
Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Help need a botanist for my dog
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

Help need a botanist for my dog - November 28, 2012, 06:16 PM

So I just got my test results back for my Dog Bear and boy they weren't good

So this is what he's allergic to.

also if its has a ELISA score of 150 or higher many be considered significant.

Weeds:
---------
Yellow Dock - 399
Russian Thistle- 303
English Plantain-158
Mugwort- 153

Trees:
---------
White Oak - 3660
Bayberry Wax Myrtle- 3322
Black Birch - 2640
Yellow Pine - 183
American Elm - 163
Red Cedar - 162

Environment
--------------
Flea Saliva - 1457
D. farinae - 1018 (Dust Mites)
T. puterscentiae - 938 (storage mites)

Fungi
---------
nothing that is high enough. the highest one listed was 126 which is Fusarium roseum

Grasses:
----------
Johnson Grass- 654
Bermuda Grass- 421
Bluegrass, June- 387
Meadow Fescue- 377
Red Top Grass - 352
Orchard Grass - 332
Sweet Vernal - 298
Brome,Smooth- 252
Timothy Grass - 218
Perennial Rye Grass- 138 ( I know that isn't listed at 150 but it was the last grass on the list they tested for)

now for the environmental i'm fine with and know what to do about the dust and storage mites but i'm lost when it comes to tree,weeds,grass....

I can google the tress and make sure he stays away from them and same goes for weeds but to me all grass pretty much looks alike. I've tried goggle-ing some of the different types of grass and honestly couldn't really tell the difference..

does anybody know anyone that could help me with this?

and here are some pics: He's the big fluffy one.

like what type of grass is this??

99 CBR 600 F4 "Black Betty"
05 CBR 600 RR (Stolen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
yes .net is serious business, we only talk about bikes and bike related things EVAH!
* Disclaimer - Bad Speller
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
On vacation

November 28, 2012, 08:15 PM

Cute dog man, sorry to hear about his issues. I don't have much to offer here except to answer your last question. In the last pic, it looks like you've got a couple different grass types present. The patches are probably fescue aka the "desirable" grass and what people usually try to grow in their lawn. The rest appears to be Bermuda grass and if so,that's the thicker, steel wool textured grass that's often an invading species cuz it chokes out the roots of the natural grass. I'm no expert in this field but hopefully that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

November 28, 2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileysDad View Post
Cute dog man, sorry to hear about his issues. I don't have much to offer here except to answer your last question. In the last pic, it looks like you've got a couple different grass types present. The patches are probably fescue aka the "desirable" grass and what people usually try to grow in their lawn. The rest appears to be Bermuda grass and if so,that's the thicker, steel wool textured grass that's often an invading species cuz it chokes out the roots of the natural grass. I'm no expert in this field but hopefully that helps.
it does... so what part of the picture is the bermuda ?? and what would be the best way to get rid of it?? till the ground and put down some kind of grass seed he isn't effected by? I did notice it got a lot worse when I moved out to the middle of no where one of the other reasons i'm moving back to the dc area

05 CBR 600 RR (Stolen)

Quote:
yes .net is serious business, we only talk about bikes and bike related things EVAH!
Unread
  (#4)
On vacation

November 28, 2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyo View Post
it does... so what part of the picture is the bermuda ?? and what would be the best way to get rid of it?? till the ground and put down some kind of grass seed he isn't effected by? I did notice it got a lot worse when I moved out to the middle of no where one of the other reasons i'm moving back to the dc area
If I'm not mistaken, you can purchase selective grass killers that only target the Bermuda. You can also buy non-selective killers that kill everything. You can treat the Bermuda only but at this point, it's a little late in the season to overseed with fescue due to the temps. You need consistent 60+ degree temps for the seeds to grow so you'll need to wait til the spring.

Quote:

She asked my opinion

Quote:
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

November 28, 2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileysDad View Post
If I'm not mistaken, you can purchase selective grass killers that only target the Bermuda. You can also buy non-selective killers that kill everything. You can treat the Bermuda only but at this point, it's a little late in the season to overseed with fescue due to the temps. You need consistent 60+ degree temps for the seeds to grow so you'll need to wait til the spring.
Well i'm moving to kent island so later i'll take some pics next time i'm on the property and see what kind of plan I need to come up with to help the poor dog. Would a landscaping service take care of this for me? I don't mind doing the work but i'm not big on lawns and what is the best way to take care of them... i'm that neighbor that has crabgrass everywhere normally lol.

05 CBR 600 RR (Stolen)

Quote:
Unread
  (#6)
On vacation

November 28, 2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Well i'm moving to kent island so later i'll take some pics next time i'm on the property and see what kind of plan I need to come up with to help the poor dog. Would a landscaping service take care of this for me? I don't mind doing the work but i'm not big on lawns and what is the best way to take care of them... i'm that neighbor that has crabgrass everywhere normally lol.
Yes but you'll want to use a reputable company. They can look at the stuff and tell you exactly what you have and how to fix it. If you were closer, I'd give you several personal recommendations but my guys don't do work out that way.

Quote:

She asked my opinion

Quote:
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

November 28, 2012, 11:52 PM

Anything and everything you need to know about what is in your yard can be easily answered by your local agricultural extension office, and for free.
Cooperative Extension System Offices

Of all the grasses and weeds you listed none of them are prevalent in our areas but every single lawn out there has a mixture of grasses. And bermuda, bluegrass, fescues and rye grass are almost always included to some degree in the retail grass seed bags. Unavoidable unless you are on a commercial turf field with specific needs. Same thing with the weeds, they are not prevalent around here but all cheap residential sod and most cheap top-soil products can and usually do contain a mixture of weeds seeds that may or may not thrive once planted depending on many factors.

You can call a professional but expect the process to get very expensive if you have your entire yard redone. I'm planning on doing that myself in my yard one day (cause I want a specific type of grass) but even then it'll be quite pricey, very labor intensive, and will require TONS of maintenance.

All in all, so your puppy's allergic. The question are, what are the specific health hazards? And would a regular antihistamine be enough? Tons of people (and dogs) have allergies that are at worst an inconvenience and a discomfort but not a health risk. If that's the case then the decision might balance on money spent to minimize it vs. paying extra focus and attention to the dog to limit activities that could cause him to get a reaction.

As far as the trees, there are many ways to create a barrier around the tree, but not from falling leaves, branches, & fruits so that'll take extra attention to cleaning up around the tree regularly.

P.S. That dog looks awesome and happy!
Unread
  (#8)
GP Racer

November 29, 2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherids View Post
Anything and everything you need to know about what is in your yard can be easily answered by your local agricultural extension office, and for free.
Cooperative Extension System Offices

Of all the grasses and weeds you listed none of them are prevalent in our areas but every single lawn out there has a mixture of grasses. And bermuda, bluegrass, fescues and rye grass are almost always included to some degree in the retail grass seed bags. Unavoidable unless you are on a commercial turf field with specific needs. Same thing with the weeds, they are not prevalent around here but all cheap residential sod and most cheap top-soil products can and usually do contain a mixture of weeds seeds that may or may not thrive once planted depending on many factors.

You can call a professional but expect the process to get very expensive if you have your entire yard redone. I'm planning on doing that myself in my yard one day (cause I want a specific type of grass) but even then it'll be quite pricey, very labor intensive, and will require TONS of maintenance.

All in all, so your puppy's allergic. The question are, what are the specific health hazards? And would a regular antihistamine be enough? Tons of people (and dogs) have allergies that are at worst an inconvenience and a discomfort but not a health risk. If that's the case then the decision might balance on money spent to minimize it vs. paying extra focus and attention to the dog to limit activities that could cause him to get a reaction.

As far as the trees, there are many ways to create a barrier around the tree, but not from falling leaves, branches, & fruits so that'll take extra attention to cleaning up around the tree regularly.

P.S. That dog looks awesome and happy!
Thanks for the info...

He gets really bad staff infections when ever the seasons change but since moving to the country he's been gettin it every 2 to 3 months. Its one of the reasons why I'm moving back to the area it was never this bad when I was living in pg or howard county

As for his treatment he takes 1500mg of cephapexin twice a day and I was told to try clarten or zertec ( sorry I know spelling is off) I was giving him 220mg of beenadrill with no efffect. The doctor said to try zertec or clarten.

05 CBR 600 RR (Stolen)

Quote:
Unread
  (#9)
GP Racer

November 29, 2012, 07:43 AM

The doctor also recomend that I whipe hin down with a cool wet wash cloth to try and remove whatever he's been in contact with.

They said the staff infection could kill him if we don't find the source

05 CBR 600 RR (Stolen)

Quote:
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

November 29, 2012, 10:18 PM

Ummmm....that's weird since Staph infections and Allergies are two totally different and unrelated things. One is a reaction to an irritant and the other is cause by a bacteria. I'm no doctor but I would follow up with this subject a bit more.

I hope the new meds work though. In all, the only way to combat allergies is to minimize the effect through effective meds or to live in a bubble. Poor puppy.
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

November 29, 2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Ummmm....that's weird since Staph infections and Allergies are two totally different and unrelated things. One is a reaction to an irritant and the other is cause by a bacteria. I'm no doctor but I would follow up with this subject a bit more.

I hope the new meds work though. In all, the only way to combat allergies is to minimize the effect through effective meds or to live in a bubble. Poor puppy.
Actually David, in dogs and cats Staph infections and Allergies are directly related when it pertains to an allergy that effects the skin and compromises the skins health thus leading to an "awakening" of the "staph" bacteria that all of us including dogs and cats carry normally.

So essentially find what is causing the "Skin irritant" and you will figure out how to prevent the staph infection.

I will try and find a link to the info if either of you want it.
Unread
  (#12)
Railing!

November 29, 2012, 11:32 PM

Whoa. Never had any of my dogs tested for shit like that. I'm a horrible owner!

Unread
  (#13)
SRWJTS Media and Safety

November 29, 2012, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_Jumper View Post
Actually David, in dogs and cats Staph infections and Allergies are directly related when it pertains to an allergy that effects the skin and compromises the skins health thus leading to an "awakening" of the "staph" bacteria that all of us including dogs and cats carry normally.

So essentially find what is causing the "Skin irritant" and you will figure out how to prevent the staph infection.

Good, Good

Let the info flow through you

Bet that felt good.

'04 F4i - Sold
'12 ZX6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nard Dog
I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ol' days, before you've actually left them

Discord - camelhumps#7702
Unread
  (#14)
GP Racer

November 30, 2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:

read below

Quote:

Sure please link. Sadly with him being allergic to all theses things is going to require alot of work but hes worth it. Hes been and awesome dog and even protected my ex during some dolt trying to break in during the night while I was away at work and then again protected my ex's sister when she was walking him alone and two came up to her in the woods.

It's just difficult to find a starting place with this many things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taladis View Post
Whoa. Never had any of my dogs tested for shit like that. I'm a horrible owner!

Yes Taladis you are.... nah i'm just pulling your legg. If your dog is happy and doesn't show signs then hes fine. the test was $190 fyi... and that vet apt bill was lil over $400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelhumps View Post
Good, Good

Let the info flow through you

Bet that felt good.
I just picture yoda in my head with you saying that or the evil sith lord either could work.

05 CBR 600 RR (Stolen)

Quote:
Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

November 30, 2012, 02:08 AM

Quote:

That's riiiiiiight! Cause Staph infections can be caused by dormant bacteria being "awakened". Good point Daniel San!

Quote:
Sure please link. Sadly with him being allergic to all theses things is going to require alot of work but hes worth it. Hes been and awesome dog and even protected my ex during some dolt trying to break in during the night while I was away at work and then again protected my ex's sister when she was walking him alone and two came up to her in the woods.

It's just difficult to find a starting place with this many things.
That doesn't sound like a dog. That sounds like your own little guardian angel...with bite. But now I get why you're so willing to even change what city you live in to help him stay healthy. More than most people would do. Very honorable.