DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 550
1 members and 549 guests
davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
HELP! otterbox+iphone+stylus+gloves
Unread
  (#1)
i dont like you either

Question HELP! otterbox+iphone+stylus+gloves - April 20, 2010, 09:42 PM

We have motorcycle peeps, iPhone peeps and DOD contractor engineering peeps ALL rolled into one forum, so here goes.....

I have an iPhone in an Otterbox Defender case.
The Otterbox Defender case has a screen to protect the iPhone.
I have the iPhone+ case mounted on my bike (using a universal Ram mount --but this detail doesn't matter).
I want to use my iPhone while riding. NO I don't want to text message people, but sometimes I want to do some stuff to the GPS app.
So I bought a Pogo stylus from the Apple store.

The problem is that I can't use the stylus with my gloves while the iPhone is in its case. I can use the stylus with gloves when the iPhone is out of the Otterbox case. The stylus also works when the iPhone is in its case, but I have my gloves off.

So what to do? I really don't want to take the iPhone out of the case every time I ride my bike, and then put it back in the case when I dismount. Too many steps, annoying. Also, I don't want to take my gloves off.

Any (helpful, non-sarcastic) ideas?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Get Tarded!

April 20, 2010, 09:57 PM

Buy a spdif headset that is compatible with a button you can program. Google maps has voice activated features you can do the same to you iPhone with some software.

08 Dizzzer SM
08 Z1000
98 KLR 650
Unread
  (#3)
TPG og

April 20, 2010, 10:07 PM

Make any glove work w/touchscreen! (even ipod)

Might help?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#4)
i dont like you either

April 20, 2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00STZX3 View Post
I like the pennytech idea, but i dont want to sew anything into my expensive gerbings.....

Maybe if i get some copper wire and have it go from the stylus to the handlebar? Like tether the stylus to the handlebar...?

I mean the bike is a chunk of metal, it should complete a circuit.....
Unread
  (#5)
SaS
Sas pronounced Sauce.

April 20, 2010, 11:05 PM

I would go with the sewing solution. You really don't have to use that much string. I did it with a pair of my winter gloves. I was planning on doing it with my riding gloves, but have been lazy.
Unread
  (#6)
GP Racer

April 21, 2010, 07:05 AM

I think the screen works off the capacitance between it and your finger, so I don't know if the frame would be a good match. But it shouldn't be hard to test it with the stylus wired to the bars (or a bolt on the frame) and if it doesn't work, get to sewing, haha.
Unread
  (#7)
Traction Control

April 21, 2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarded Jake View Post
Buy a spdif headset that is compatible with a button you can program. Google maps has voice activated features you can do the same to you iPhone with some software.
I've considered this. it's a good idea

another thing to consider is bike vibration. I've heard that when you buy a non-motorcycle style GPS unit, the vibration can kill it because it wasn't built for it. a car cabin doesn't experience the same as a motorcycle. I would assume the iphone would be susceptible as well. just somethin to think about.

KTM RC8R
KTM RC390 race
Yamaha R6 race
Honda CRF50 mini
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Tecknojoe  
Unread
  (#8)
i dont like you either

Cool April 22, 2010, 10:35 PM

Well after a lot of "Myth Busters" style experimentation, I got it working !!
By working I mean I can put the iphone (with otterbox DEFENDER) case, into the universal ram mount, and with gloves, use my iphone (using the stylus).

First, I had a bunch of dead spots when I tried using the stylus with or without gloves, but I got a good configuration now.
I'd like to make it more sensitive, so I'll keep at it!!!

The current PROTOTYPE:
I got some copper tape and wrapped it around the POGO stylus.
I got a long, thing wire and wrapped it around the ram mount base plate. I then set the iphone+case on the wire backing.
I tethered the end of the wire to the pogo stylus.

I didn't want to sew into my Gerbings gloves. How would the conductive thread react with the stainless steel microwire?

Anyways, take a look at the attached pics. It doesn't look like it would be flapping around in the wind or anything.

It's kinda ugly, but it's convenient and functional. Kinda like my big voltmeter. I really need it for winter riding with heated gear, but people see it and think I'm weird. Come to think of it, I get similar reactions about my hi viz vest and the reflective tape on my helmet.....

I can live with it.

Thanks for the suggestions!!
Also, kudos go to this dude on advrider who helped me. I posted this same question on that forum too.
??????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(2).jpg (108.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg photo(3).jpg (126.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg photo(4).jpg (116.4 KB, 19 views)