DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 513
3 members and 510 guests
davidcycle, legendindisguise, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Help? Smart phone newb - Android
Unread
  (#1)
no one's blowing up moons

Help? Smart phone newb - Android - April 24, 2013, 12:35 PM

Finally got a new phone only to find there's no auto answer feature and I'll have to learn to download and install an app. I'm looking for something to work with my Cardo Solo headset (blue-tooth) and voice activated. I've been looking through the app markets but it's hard to find details. Anybody have experience and can recommend?

I'm hoping for an app somewhere besides google play that's secure. Google just seems to be getting creepier every day.

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/

Last edited by lam@dcsf; April 24, 2013 at 02:06 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
MSF Student

April 24, 2013, 03:04 PM

What phone do you have? I just got a Samsung Galaxy S3. I don't have a bluetooth headset yet, but was reading last night that Samsung's voice control (they call it S Voice) does not work very well with bluetooth. Some alternatives that were mentioned were Google Now, Assistant (the one made by SpeakToIt), and Dragon (Hands-Free Assistant). Those are all supposed to be user friendly and work better than S Voice.

Utter! is another alternative that might even be better. It can be used offline, meaning you don't need a data connection for it to work. You can also create your own voice commands to complete tasks you choose. The downside to this one is its not as user friendly and you have to be very specific with your voice commands. For example, with the others you might be able to say "How do I get to Deep Creek from here?" and with Utter! you'd probably have to say "Navigate to Deep Creek Maryland."

Some others that I've heard of but never messed with are Jeannie, AIVC (Alice), and KLets.

Disclaimer: I've only spent maybe 5 minutes tinkering with each, so don't believe anything I just said.
Unread
  (#3)
Custom User Title

April 24, 2013, 03:22 PM

Check out VLingo (now Dragon).
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MrDan  
Unread
  (#4)

April 24, 2013, 07:27 PM

Thanks guys but I'm not looking for multi featured software. The only thing I need the app to do is pair an LG Optimus (Android 2.3.7) with a blue tooth Cardo Solo headset and make the connection when a spoken word (any word) indicates that I'm available to talk.

There seem to be quite a number of them out there, some of them that aren't even on Google Play! My problem is I don't know enough to be able to evaluate any of them. At my age I'm not very good with this stuff and the "manuals" these days aren't even good for toilet paper.

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz

Unread
  (#5)
Custom User Title

April 25, 2013, 09:25 AM

Why not use the multi functioned software? Dragon is probably the best out there and it's free. It also allows you to easily initiate calls if you so desire. You don't have to use the other features but they'd be available if you wanted to try them.
Unread
  (#6)

April 26, 2013, 12:28 AM

Because I really just want something to answer a call and route it to my headset hands-free and I don't like bloat. Engineering 101 - fewest number of moving parts.

I think I'm looking for something like Auto Answer the phone by Black Mountain but I can't tell which apps are good and besides Google Play gives me the creeps but I don't know where else to go. That's why I asked if anyone had experience with and/or knowledge about them.

Physics always wins

Quote:
unintentional accidental

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3

Unread
  (#7)
Custom User Title

April 26, 2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lam@dcsf View Post
Because I really just want something to answer a call and route it to my headset hands-free and I don't like bloat. Engineering 101 - fewest number of moving parts.

I think I'm looking for something like Auto Answer the phone by Black Mountain but I can't tell which apps are good and besides Google Play gives me the creeps but I don't know where else to go. That's why I asked if anyone had experience with and/or knowledge about them.
This is likely one of those times when you want to go with the best product that has very high reviews. You can go on one of the android forums if you want to get files without going through the store. Check out Android, Windows Phone, and Windows Mobile Development News, Information, and Howtos - XDA Developers - they often have the apk file that you can download and install yourself.

Or just get the free Black Mountain app and try it. You can always delete it.