DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 572
3 members and 569 guests
beatle, davidcycle, legendindisguise
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Help with VA Unemployment Law / System
Unread
  (#1)
Rat's on Crack Attack

Help with VA Unemployment Law / System - April 30, 2009, 01:02 PM

Here is the quick and dirty:

Was laid off in Feb, filed unemployment, received 2 weeks benefits, then they stopped. I contacted VEC to find out what was going on. Had a hearing set up for me and previous employer to state facts to a mediator. Previous employer did not answer the call.

I was told I would receive my back benefit claims total (approx $1500) in a few days. This was a little over a week ago and still haven't seen anything. Apparently they are having an accounting issue, but honestly I don't know what is going on.

Should I contact appeals to see if anything has gone through without me knowing, get an attorney involved?

"And then, God created man. And I wanted to thank her right then and there for the snake, the apple, and the free will to mess up the entire world"
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
BE ENCOURAGED!

April 30, 2009, 01:07 PM

If you were "Laid Off" then what facts are there for a mediator. Usually that is reserved for disputes over termination with cause, such as disciplinary action or failure to perform, in which case employers can try to deny your benefit claim. I am just asking out of curiousity because things may have changed. I am not trying to ensinuate anything.

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#3)
Rat's on Crack Attack

April 30, 2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUZZLER View Post
If you were "Laid Off" then what facts are there for a mediator. Usually that is reserved for disputes over termination with cause, such as disciplinary action or failure to perform, in which case employers can try to deny your benefit claim. I am just asking out of curiousity because things may have changed. I am not trying to ensinuate anything.
We did the hearing because my previous employer was holding up my paperwork and they asked me if I wanted to go ahead with the hearing for him to confirm that I was laid off or state otherwise. So since he did not answer the call, they went on my original claim for benefits.

This is why I am trying to find out what the hold up is... did he file an appeal and I wasn't notified? Or are they really just having a paperwork issue at VEC?

"And then, God created man. And I wanted to thank her right then and there for the snake, the apple, and the free will to mess up the entire world"
Unread
  (#4)
I'm Taking Over!

April 30, 2009, 01:15 PM

Hmmm, Sounds like your previous employer is not responding to VEC. Or whoever answered the phone for your employer just said no to whatever VEC said.

As long as you did not quit, or get fired for stealing something, then you will get your bennys.

04 R6 & (0OO \ (||||)(||||) / OO0)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Bofessional Send a message via AIM to Bofessional  
Unread
  (#5)
Good Girl Gone Biker

April 30, 2009, 01:16 PM

Call them until your fingers bleed... that's what I'm doing, DC owes me my Jan payments (about $1400). Unemployment in VA&DC are totally swamped. The squeaky wheel approach might go a long way.

Beatriz
BRG/W

QikEnuF: omg still talking. I regret my life.

yzfrone: and buell? ill chop my toes off and add it to my salad before I sit on one.

DarksideSW20: need varying degrees. beware of dog, beware of dangerous dog, beware of dog shooting bees out of its mouth...

NoVaGhost: Oops...bought a gixxer and the dumbassery set in quicker than i expected.... never made it home.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Coluchi Send a message via AIM to Coluchi Send a message via Skype™ to Coluchi 
Unread
  (#6)
TPG - screw face

April 30, 2009, 01:20 PM

Guzz is correct.

I see it all the time (I work in payroll). A company will "lay you off" or ask you to "resign" then on ur file that is reported they will put some other reason for termination. Also, if they put the reason for termination is "involuntary" (with the exception of quitting, they will put voluntary, but quitting negates u from receiving ur coins) that pretty much resolves them from providing any unemployment reasons/benefits...and answering further questions about it. I'd call back to ur HR person and find out what your file says, then bonuce that off of whatever exiting forms u had to sign etc etc.

Last edited by Oneway; April 30, 2009 at 01:22 PM..
Unread
  (#7)
Typical Stripper

April 30, 2009, 01:21 PM

This isnt an issue of the benefits - that paperwork is fine... it's a matter of getting them to actually pay the money now.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
Rat's on Crack Attack

April 30, 2009, 01:24 PM

But am I kidding myself that I'll actually get it and should just keep calling.... or should I get an attorney involved?

There is no HR person at my previous employer and the Doctor won't speak to me.

Unread
  (#9)
TPG - screw face

April 30, 2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudist View Post
This isnt an issue of the benefits - that paperwork is fine... it's a matter of getting them to actually pay the money now.
oh then yes...i agree with coluchi...i have tons of charge back forms on my desk now for ppl requesting unemployment...i need to get on those..
Unread
  (#10)
Rat's on Crack Attack

April 30, 2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneway View Post
oh then yes...i agree with coluchi...i have tons of charge back forms on my desk now for ppl requesting unemployment...i need to get on those..
Yes, my contact at VEC keeps telling me everything is fine with the paperwork and now it is in "accounting's hands"

Unread
  (#11)
I'm Taking Over!

April 30, 2009, 01:29 PM

Call them and inquire at least once a day - Customer Contact Center by calling 1-866-832-2363

Usually it takes 2 pay cycles for changes to take effect with VEC.

Also I heard through the grapevine, you can stay on Unemployment for up to 2 years, if you play your cards right....

04 R6 & (0OO \ (||||)(||||) / OO0)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Bofessional Send a message via AIM to Bofessional  
Unread
  (#12)
Good Girl Gone Biker

April 30, 2009, 01:32 PM

Seriously...keep calling.

Beatriz
BRG/W

yzfrone: and buell? ill chop my toes off and add it to my salad before I sit on one.

DarksideSW20: need varying degrees. beware of dog, beware of dangerous dog, beware of dog shooting bees out of its mouth...

NoVaGhost: Oops...bought a gixxer and the dumbassery set in quicker than i expected.... never made it home.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Coluchi Send a message via AIM to Coluchi Send a message via Skype™ to Coluchi 
Unread
  (#13)
TPG - screw face

April 30, 2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudista View Post
Yes, my contact at VEC keeps telling me everything is fine with the paperwork and now it is in "accounting's hands"
u can do what i do when i call the FFX county courthouse...whoever you talk too...keep asking to speak to their boss....then speak to their boss...so forth and so on takes a while...but it works.

g/l

lol bofessional it can work...but it takes some real savvy
Unread
  (#14)
Rat's on Crack Attack

April 30, 2009, 01:38 PM

I definitely call at least 2 times a day. At least once to my contact there and at least once to a secondary person for their opinion.

Unread
  (#15)
Good Girl Gone Biker

April 30, 2009, 01:43 PM

Sux...I'm super lucky if I can get someone in DC to pick up the phone.

Beatriz
BRG/W