DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 542
3 members and 539 guests
fxc3700, nootherids, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
(Herndon) Pet Owners
Unread
  (#1)
Ex-racer TURNED Post Whore

(Herndon) Pet Owners - September 27, 2006, 11:47 AM

Anyone know anything about the Clocktower Animal Hospital? I have had my dog for 7 months and she was fine when I got her, but totally flips out now when going to the vet and simply getting her nails cut. I thought I'd bring her to the vet to cut her nails seeing as they should know what they are doing, rather than me cutting to far and cutting her quick. Anyway, I have had a horrible last few months with this place to where I am done with them. Below is my e-mail to them after my final visit last night. Anyone have any suggestions as to where else I could go? Also, how to get my dog used to me cutting her nails or even touching them? I am working at just touching her feet a lot to get her used to it, but any other tips would be helpful.

Letter to Clocktower:

I'm very unhappy with the last few visits I've had to the Clocktower Animal hospital. My first visit was great. I received a tour of the hospital, any questions I had were answered, and I was allowed to be with my dog for the visit. I brought my dog back to get her nails clipped and she received the "good pet discount" for that visit. I was, however, a little upset that I was not invited back with my dog when she got her nails cut unlike any other animal hospital I have been to. Each visit became progressively worse for my dog and me. I was told that she would try to bite when she got her nails clipped. Then the next time she ended up biting someone but not breaking the skin, and each time she would be returned to me smelling horrible because she released her anal glands and I was told she would not let the person clean her. My visit before this last one, I brought my dog in for a shot. I saw many people trying to hold her down and chasing her around the back with the shot in hand, as she was noticeably upset. When the staff member brought my dog back to me, she sat down and asked if I had ever consulted with an animal behaviorist about my dog's fear issues. I was also told to give my dog benadryl next time I brought her. Honestly, my dog has never acted in such a way except when brought to your hospital. I told the staff member that part of it is fear of strangers doing scary things to her without me being around. I was told next time I came, that I could go back with my dog, all I had to do was ask and that this information would be put in her file. This brings me to my most recent visit. I brought my dog in to get her nails clipped again, and this time I requested to come back with her. I was told that most dogs do better without their owners around, and that they would let me know if they needed me. Next, they bring my dog back to a different room to where I assume they thought I was not able to see her. I saw her (in the reflection of the window) with a muzzle on, and pinned against the door trying to get out. Finally, my dog was brought back to me, and I was told that they can't cut her nails and that she would have to be sedated to simply cut her nails.
I am very upset and certainly not satisfied with the way my dog and I have been treated by your staff. I do not agree with simply resorting to drugging an animal because they are hard to handle. Maybe trying to take some time with the animal rather than trying to rush through the service and having multiple people trying to pin the pet down would be better. I would think your staff members would actually listen to the pet's owner as to what would be better for their own pet rather than blow the customer off and take their pet away. I also am very upset that my dog had no issues at all with shots or getting her nails clipped until after a few visits to the Clocktower Animal hospital. Now, no matter what I do, I have some major issues I have to deal with to be able to keep my dog's nails trimmed. At this point, I will not return to your hospital because my dog has progressively gotten worse with each visit.

Thanks for your time,
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Christa525 Send a message via AIM to Christa525  
Unread
  (#2)
Site Owner

September 27, 2006, 11:48 AM

"released her anal glands"? Is that how we say "took a shit" politically correct?

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#3)
You meet the nicest

September 27, 2006, 11:51 AM

I live a pet free life.

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)

September 27, 2006, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper
"released her anal glands"? Is that how we say "took a shit" politically correct?
no you non pet owner, it's something they do when they are freaked the f*** out and it's a horrible odor they release...no land comes out with it.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Christa525 Send a message via AIM to Christa525  
Unread
  (#5)
Rocket girl

September 27, 2006, 12:09 PM

Sounds to me like they are real assholes!!!! Animals usually have a reason for not liking someone or someplace...

Angie
05 GSX-R 600 sold

I will be back on 2!!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to angiegsxr 600 Send a message via MSN to angiegsxr 600  
Unread
  (#6)
Site Owner

September 27, 2006, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christa525
no you non pet owner, it's something they do when they are freaked the f*** out and it's a horrible odor they release...no land comes out with it.
Oh, so its the politically correct way of saying "flatulate"? ANd is calling poop "land" another pet thing?

Didn't know there was a whole pet language out there. Haha.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#7)
Ridin' a Rider

September 27, 2006, 12:19 PM

Taking your dog to a groomer (or having a groomer come to your house; there are mobile groomers) to have her nails trimmed might be a good alternative. Groomers generally have a little more patience and time to spend letting your dog warm up to them than a busy, appointment-driven veterinary office.

This may not be a problem with her not liking her nails clipped specifically, but the smell of the place or the sounds she hears of other animals, etc. If it doesn't work out with a groomer, then maybe get some advice on what the cause of her behavior could be.

-Sammi

http://www.dcsportbikes.net/photoplo..._sammicore.jpg

"I don't ride a bike. I ride a rider."
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
GP Racer

September 27, 2006, 12:19 PM

Dogs are extremely sensitive about their paws. A good trainer can tell if a dog has fear or dominance issues simply by grabbing their paws. Depending on the severity of the reaction, a bite, simply pulling it back, mouthing the person doing the touching, etc, shows the level of fear or behavioral issues.

I've got a dog that I think is basically insane (a Bulldog Lab mix) but I have not had issues with him getting shots or his nails done. Take him/her to Petsmart in Leesburg (near Home Depot). The lady there worked with us a lot to get my dog relaxed enough to get his nails clipped. She suggested basically doing what you were talking about. Grabbing his paws frequently and then progressing to touching his nails (not clipping) with the clippers. Each time the dog should get more comfortable and you can progress from there. Maybe actually clipping his/her nails by yourself. Just have some quick stop or flour (it works) handy if you care about your carpets.

Hope this helps....
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to Busamac70  
Unread
  (#9)

September 27, 2006, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper
Oh, so its the politically correct way of saying "flatulate"? ANd is calling poop "land" another pet thing?

Didn't know there was a whole pet language out there. Haha.
Why do you have to hijack my thread? What did I ever do to you?

btw. NO it is not the correct way of saying "flatulate" it is not a fart. I'll bring my dog to this vet again and you can come over and smell what it smells like......you will then understand the difference.
Unread
  (#10)

September 27, 2006, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiegsxr 600
Sounds to me like they are real assholes!!!! Animals usually have a reason for not liking someone or someplace...
They are real assholes!!
Unread
  (#11)
Ling Long

September 27, 2006, 12:29 PM

Just have his/her anal glands removed. Quick, easy surgery

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#12)

September 27, 2006, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busamac70
Dogs are extremely sensitive about their paws. A good trainer can tell if a dog has fear or dominance issues simply by grabbing their paws. Depending on the severity of the reaction, a bite, simply pulling it back, mouthing the person doing the touching, etc, shows the level of fear or behavioral issues.

I've got a dog that I think is basically insane (a Bulldog Lab mix) but I have not had issues with him getting shots or his nails done. Take him/her to Petsmart in Leesburg (near Home Depot). The lady there worked with us a lot to get my dog relaxed enough to get his nails clipped. She suggested basically doing what you were talking about. Grabbing his paws frequently and then progressing to touching his nails (not clipping) with the clippers. Each time the dog should get more comfortable and you can progress from there. Maybe actually clipping his/her nails by yourself. Just have some quick stop or flour (it works) handy if you care about your carpets.

Hope this helps....
Thanks, I am going to try doing it myself after touching her paws and nails a lot. If that doesn't work, guess its off to the groomers. Don't think she has a dominance issue, think it's more fear. She never bites at me, just pulls back and tries to get away when I mess too much with her paws. She wasn't this bad when I got her either, stupid vet messed her up!
Unread
  (#13)

September 27, 2006, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoMatt
Just have his/her anal glands removed. Quick, easy surgery
how much $?

rather just not bring her around jerks who hurt her.
Unread
  (#14)
GP Racer

September 27, 2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christa525
Thanks, I am going to try doing it myself after touching her paws and nails a lot. If that doesn't work, guess its off to the groomers. Don't think she has a dominance issue, think it's more fear. She never bites at me, just pulls back and tries to get away when I mess too much with her paws. She wasn't this bad when I got her either, stupid vet messed her up!
In that case, with reassurance from you, while holding her paws, she will get comfortable enough to let you do it. Just takes time.

Good luck!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to Busamac70  
Unread
  (#15)
I'm an Asshole

September 27, 2006, 12:39 PM

Since your dog hardly lets you hold her leg then why would you expect the veterinarians to be able to clip her nails. I think your dog just has issues with her being touched. Some dogs are just like that. It's their personality. And there's no such thing as a dog shrink. I don't think they are mistreating your dog by muzzling her, or asking her to be drugged. Basically I'm saying, I don't think its the vet's fault, its your dog. Either drug your dog, or let her nails grow long. EITHER WAY, she's not gonna die so don't worry about it.

I'm not trying to be insensitive, just letting you know that dogs are dogs. As much as you'd like to think you have the ability to control their actions you dont. I have two chows myself, and I'd drug them if it were the case.

If you can read this, give me a red dot
If you get mad when I type, do us both a favor.

Some recent rep I have been given:
-U-R-Gay (unsigned)
-you dont even ride you troll (unsigned)
-you are now 115% gay, ghey, and ghay (unsigned)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to griffindj Send a message via Skype™ to griffindj