DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 513
2 members and 511 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Hey you Apple people
Unread
  (#1)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

Hey you Apple people - March 29, 2009, 09:29 PM

Someone gave me a iMac G3.I can't really get it to do anything.It has OS 9.2.

I don't know the first thing about Mac's.Can I upgrade to OSX on this thing?

I don't know the year on it,but it's the monitor type and some of the files on it are from 2000.

The reason I took it is because I want to learn all the crap to make app's for the iPhone.Will it run Xcode,Cocoa,etc....?

Keep in mind I have never taken any computer course,but am a quick learner.

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
MSF Student

March 30, 2009, 02:36 AM

If you're new to Macs and want to bust into the high rollin life style and awesome status of an apple software developer then you may be better served by buying a new mac-mini or one of the more contemporary models (used or otherwise). If want to use the G3 for this purpose then you may have an experience that is resentful and unrewarding. YMMV.

Yes, you should be able to upgrade to OS X (10.4) and gain all the recent Mac like features and functions. The current OS X (10.5) does NOT support anything less than a G4 PPC processor so you're out of luck in regards to OS X 10.5. I think the memory requirements for OS X is 128MB but more is recommend (read the sys reqs first). Memory capacity and form factor will depend on if the G3 is slot or tray load.

Before upgrading the OS, a firmware upgrade WILL be necessary. Directions for upgrading the firmware will be different if your G3 is a tray loading or slot loading. Directions are fairly straight forward but prepare for a hateful learning curve if you've never gutted a computer before.

Before you proceed I recommend you RTFM, twice.
http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=1872579

Once you're successful, it will behave just like any other mac running OS X to include running X-Code, compilers or other developer apps but it will be significantly slower. Additionally, because the G3 doesn't use the intel processors, you won't be able to take advantage of certain third party apps that require intel processors to run.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to wrenchmonk Send a message via MSN to wrenchmonk  
Unread
  (#3)
Mommy's Little Monster

March 30, 2009, 06:07 AM

And an extra +1 to the mac mini comment. For only a few hundred bucks, those are really good little machines (assuming you have all the extra peripherals at home already.) Good luck.

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
Unread
  (#4)
Derpentine Dealer

March 30, 2009, 08:10 AM

You can get a pretty good mac desktop used on ebay. I would just donate that G3 or turn it into a fish tank/reptile acquarium. Go with G5 if you can. I've seen G5 + monitor go for under $500. If you go older than G5, get one of the dual processor G4s, either Quicksilver 2002 dual 1 Ghz or Mirrored Door dual 1.25 Ghz. Don't bother with single processor cpus older than a G5. They were great machines but just won't keep up today.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

March 30, 2009, 08:41 AM

Micro Center offers the Apple Mac mini Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz Desktop, model no. MB139LL/A, for $499.99. This $100 mail-in rebate cuts it to $399.99. With around $28 for shipping, that's $95 under our mention from five days ago and the lowest total price we could find by $76. Sales tax is added where applicable. It features an Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2GHz processor, 1GB RAM, 120GB hard drive, SuperDrive, 802.11g wireless, and more. Rebate expires April 12.

Tony

'12 Ducati Streetfighter 848
'08 Ducati Hypermotard

Bam Bam #47 9.11.09
Jeff Vega 10.06.09
Totnac 4.30.14
forever... Ride on my brothers
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RacerX2050 Send a message via MSN to RacerX2050  
Unread
  (#6)
Serial Killer

March 30, 2009, 02:07 PM

I am Apple people. I took delivery of my unibody 17" MBP on Friday. I'm loving everything about it. I fought long and hard on whether to get it to replace my current 2.3GHz model, but I figured why not. I'll be giving my old 17 to my daughter (since I cant seem to keep her off my iMac). The screen on the unibody is AMAZING. I thought the screen on my old model was awesome, but in the pic below side by side, both are on full brightness, and the clarity of the unibody is just amazing.

Taken on my trusty ironing board

I'm a lead farmer, motherfucker!!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Diggy Send a message via AIM to Diggy  
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

March 30, 2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggy View Post
I am Apple people. I took delivery of my unibody 17" MBP on Friday. I'm loving everything about it. I fought long and hard on whether to get it to replace my current 2.3GHz model, but I figured why not. I'll be giving my old 17 to my daughter (since I cant seem to keep her off my iMac). The screen on the unibody is AMAZING. I thought the screen on my old model was awesome, but in the pic below side by side, both are on full brightness, and the clarity of the unibody is just amazing.

Taken on my trusty ironing board

Diggy,

damn you sick bastard. I'm jealous as hell. I just want a 15" to replace mine. I'm trying to hold out for one with Blu-ray.

Tony

'12 Ducati Streetfighter 848
'08 Ducati Hypermotard

Bam Bam #47 9.11.09
Jeff Vega 10.06.09
Totnac 4.30.14
forever... Ride on my brothers
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RacerX2050 Send a message via MSN to RacerX2050  
Unread
  (#8)
Serial Killer

March 30, 2009, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX2050 View Post
Diggy,

damn you sick bastard. I'm jealous as hell. I just want a 15" to replace mine. I'm trying to hold out for one with Blu-ray.
I dont think Apple is going to ever incorporate BR into their machines (at least not while Jobs has a say so). That all could change though if the market dictates it.

I'm a lead farmer, motherfucker!!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Diggy Send a message via AIM to Diggy  
Unread
  (#9)
yut ugh!

March 30, 2009, 08:07 PM

pssh.. aXXo looks just fine on my MB..

2009 Yamaha R6 Raven
2005 Yamaha R6 Raven - Stolen
Unread
  (#10)
GP Racer

March 30, 2009, 08:36 PM

+1 on the Mini. I got mine 3 yrs ago as a stopgap when my G5 died, and I'm still using it 3 yrs later. Whisper quiet and tiny. Does everything I need to do, including edit video. Definitely pop for an Apple wireless keyboard and a logitech mouse(i hate Apple's mice)