DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 545
5 members and 540 guests
beatle, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle, shiphteey, Toecutter
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)

June 21, 2003, 09:26 AM

I am tired of paying $20-$75 a pop for a picture of me on the track and want to get a decent digital camera for my own photos.
I have heard for high speed sports some cameras offer a "tri burst" feature where they take 3 pix very rapidly.

Does anyone own a good digital camera and use it for photgraphing motorcycling with success?
Obviously - it would need a decent zoom...other than that I am not too sure what would be good for this particular application. I am not sure what the "pros" use at the track - but their pictures are pretty damn good.

If you have one - what do you like/dislike about it for shooting motorcycles?
Where did you get and (if you do not mind), approximately how much was it?

Thanks!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Licensed Rider

June 21, 2003, 10:08 AM

I've got a Sony Cybershot DSC75, and I use it all the time for action shots-- it has two features... "burst", like what you're asking before below, and also has the capability to do digital video until it runs out of memorystick space. It's a bit bulky for using while riding, but someone on the sidelines would have no trouble taking shots of you. It even has a "warm-up" feature so you can focus and prepare the shot, and then when you hit the button it takes btwn 3 and 8 pictures, depending on your settings. I think it has like 4x analog zoom and 6x digital zoom... when you're buying a camera, make sure you get the most analog zoom capability you can afford (and most cameras can have an additional lens added)-- digital zoom can be done in photoshop, so doing it on the camera often makes your pictures look grainy when printed.

I've heard the Canon Elfs are really good too for this purpose, and much smaller. I'm not sure of zoom capability on them, though.

Anyways... hope that helps.

Does this bike make my butt look fast??

"Oh, you hate your job? Why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called EVERYBODY, and they meet at the bar."
--Drew Carey
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to ...aRushOfRed Send a message via Yahoo to ...aRushOfRed  
Unread
  (#3)
Officially Addicted to Posting

June 21, 2003, 01:04 PM

I second Abbys comment about ignoring digital zoom and getting the best optical zoom you can get. I turn off the digital zoom feature on my camera to ensure that I get maximum optical without jumping into the digital by accident.

I have a Sony CyberShot DSC-P71 which is a step below Abby's. I would not consider my Camera to be a "High End Digital Camera" and no where near what the pros use at the track. If you want comparable pictures, you will really need to step up to something much more expensive.

Here's a good website for exploring features, etc.

http://www.dpreview.com/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#4)
Officially Addicted to Posting

June 21, 2003, 01:38 PM

I took a quick look at that site, and if I were looking for a higher end camera I'd probably consider the Canon EOS-10D or the Nikon D100. These digital SLRs fall into what was referred to as the "pro-sumer" category which, unless you want to spend $7,000 on a camera, is probably where you want to be. They retail for about $1,500-$1,700, but you may find a better deal on the internet. Really not a bad deal considering that a few years ago, similar cameras were selling for $10,000.

[Edited on 6/21/2003 by rddy]
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#5)

June 21, 2003, 02:03 PM

Ya - thanks for the information.
I looked at the 10D and the Coolpix (Consumer Reports rated that the highest w/ 5x optical zoom). The 10D does not do mpeg - and I am not sure that really matters.
By the time it is all said and done with memory cards et al it is a lot of money - like 2k.

I am probably better off using my 35mm and getting Costco to put them on CD I guess.

Thanks for the information again!

Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

June 21, 2003, 06:53 PM

Just for anyone else thinking about getting a serious camera for track photos...

I don't think there is even one pro camera that does Mpegs. This is one way to spot devices that try to do everything for everyone but do nothing really well. If you see a camera that has a lot of clever little features, it's probably a dog when it comes to taking high quality photos.

Digital SLRs like 10D don't come with a lens. Generally, digital cameras require high quality lens because of the way the sensor works. So you are looking at another major purchase to buy a lens. Zoom digital lenses are very expensive.

Additionally, digital photos that come out of the camera usually need postprocessing to start looking spectacular. If you don't know photoshop, you will probably need to learn it. Digital postporcessing is a very important step in digital photography. Think of it a dark room for digi cams.

Similarly, you will need to learn photography.... Serious digital cameras are not point and click. To get a good photo, you will need to practice, learn, and constantly reevaluate your work.

In conclusion, unless you take a lot of photos, or get satisfaction from photography, don't do it. It's not worth the money and the effort required. It's much easier and cheaper to order those $20-75 photos.

-----------------------

On a sidenote, I'm thinking of signing up as a conrnerworker just so I can play with my digi cam. (Fuji S2) I'm not sure if they would permit me to bring my camera, etc...

Unread
  (#7)
Knee Draggin!

June 21, 2003, 07:14 PM

Try http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh3/controller/home You can find just about any A/V gear here, I think that they even have lipstick camera's too EBay has a lot of gear too...

I use the Canon PowerShot S30 It has the "burst feature" (2 and 3 frames/second), it takes AVI's, has a timer, and it has many, many, many features Check out the photos that I took of Wheels from our ride...I probably could have snaped a nice close up of her eyes looking through the turn, but she had that smoked visor on

L8

Unread
  (#8)
Signed up for Track Days!

June 21, 2003, 08:03 PM

check out www.dcresource.com for great reviews or www.cnet.com I am in the market for a Fuji S602. Entry pro unit sold last year for $900. Can find for $550 now. Has burst feature and depending on resolution can pop off 40 picts/second. Has dual storage media (unheard of for consumer cameras), xdrive and compact flashII. With CFlash you can updgrade to the IBM 1gig micro dirve ($200) online. Can hold anywhere from 200 to 8,000 picts. yes, it's true. Camera has hot shue for added flash, adapter for other lenses, someiothing like 20 -130 zoom (6x optical) and get this, VGA video. Can get digital video up to 30 mins with the 1 gig storeage. sweeett..