DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 287
1 members and 286 guests
2blueyam
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Homeless baltimore woman fighting cancer
Unread
  (#1)
SPANNERWRENCHCLICKCLICK

Homeless baltimore woman fighting cancer - September 15, 2011, 01:03 PM

http://www.wbaltv.com/11investigates...05/detail.html

I am going to bold the parts that are foundational and noteworthy here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
BALTIMORE -- A cancer patient fighting for her life is also fighting for a place to live.Kimberly Wright is fighting cancer without family and without a home. The 38-year-old woman found shelter in an abandoned west Baltimore building at Fayette and Gilmor streets -- until a wall caved in. Peeking through overgrown weeds, one can still see Wright's bed, a respite where she would often recover from the side effects of chemotherapy.

"I'm living. That's my upbringing. I'm living, trying to live," she said.Wright lost her coveted Section 8 voucher two years ago, and she has been out of work housekeeping and caring for the elderly since she was diagnosed with emotional problems.For two months, Cindy Carter of the Cancer Support Foundation has desperately tried to help Wright secure housing."Most of the time, the shelter issue is a lack of room. We did have that one that told us, and others insinuated, they don't like to deal with people with chemo because they get sicker," Carter said.Wright recently trudged through the rain for her fourth chemotherapy treatment at Mercy Medical Center. Medicare pays for her treatment that takes place every three weeks. Her long and arduous search for shelter eventually led to the 11 News I-Team."We went all the way to the mayor's office and the governor's office -- (both were) not able to get any help. So, we started calling the TV stations to shed light on the situation," Carter said.In an attempt to seek permanent housing, Wright got her name on a public housing waiting list that contained 23,000 other names. According to Health Care for the Homeless, there are only 25 beds in Baltimore to serve the very sick homeless who need care night and day.
"I just feel like it's a life testament. Everything is a lesson to be learned from."
- Kimberly Wright
For months, Wright would go to Baltimore Housing offices on Pratt Street, showing doctor's notes that confirm her lymphoma and stating her case for desperate assistance. Still, there was no movement.A week after her last chemotherapy treatment, Wright returned to Gilmor Street. It had been a hard week between a shelter at night and the emergency room."(I was) just getting over the nausea, the vomiting and diarrhea," Wright said.WBAL-TV 11 News I-Team reporter Deborah Weiner took Wright's case to Baltimore Housing's deputy commissioner of community housing, Reginald Scriber, and the deputy executive director of Housing Authority of Baltimore City, Anthony Scott. Within hours, they issued to Wright a rental voucher that will help pay for housing for one year. "Most of the time, the shelter issue is a lack of room. We did have that one that told us, and others insinuated, they don't like to deal with people with chemo because they get sicker."
- Cindy Carter,
Cancer Support Foundation

"We will continue to follow her for the whole year and if there's something she will need, we will continue to work with her. We will do that," Scriber said."It's unfortunate what has happened to her and we are happy to give her assistance," Scott said.Wright, who has four more scheduled chemotherapy treatments, said she is anxious to have a home."I just feel like it's a life testament.
Everything is a lesson to be learned from," Wright said.The 11 News I-Team also connected Wright with the group Health Care for the Homeless, which will provide her care and shelter until Baltimore Housing officials secure her a permanent home.

[SIGPIC]http://www.griseldaonline.it/foto/6galleria/tradimenti/warhol%20last%20supper%201986.jpg[/SIGPIC]The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.

Send a message via AIM to